PDA

View Full Version : What is the scale of WDW Train set?

bigoldkid
09-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Hello all.
I just came back from WDW 2 weeks ago. I bought the Walter E. Disney Train set. It is a large one. I think that is the only type they sale. It came by UPS a few days ago. I set it up and it looks and runs great. I was wondering if any one can help. In model train terms what scale is this train. Is it the large size as regular model trains? I know there is some thing like (HO). I may want to add to it. I know I can buy extra figures and buildings from Disney, but I would also like to go and buy and do things to it from a regular hobby store. I know this may sound crazy, but I may want to try and change it into remote control. Thanks

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I love it when Disney packages get delivered. :mickey:

I don't know tons about train sets, but I did some searching, and there seems to be a HO (large) size set, and a g (smaller) size set. Since you have the larger one, I'd assume it is the HO set.

Scott C
09-16-2009, 01:04 PM
I love it when Disney packages get delivered. :mickey:

I don't know tons about train sets, but I did some searching, and there seems to be a HO (large) size set, and a g (smaller) size set. Since you have the larger one, I'd assume it is the HO set.

Sorry, but you have that backwards HO Scale utilizes a 2 rail track with the rails about 1" apart

G is much larger -- 2 rails about 3 inches apart.

If I recall the disney sets might not use a standard sized track -- I could be wrong about that though as they have changed some things over the years.

Any knowledgeable hobby shop (like the one I own)should be able to help you if you take them a piece of track.

Thanks
Scott C

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Sorry, but you have that backwards HO Scale utilizes a 2 rail track with the rails about 1" apart

If I recall the disney sets might not use a standard sized track -- I could be wrong about that though as they have changed some things over the years.

Any knowledgeable hobby shop (like the one I own)should be able to help you if you take them a piece of track.

Thanks
Scott C

Thanks for sorting me out! That is a big help...I *thought* I had it right...guess I'll never be a train collector!

I agree with taking it to a (good) hobby shop - they'll get it all sorted out.

bigoldkid
09-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks
Scott C

Thank you much Scott. I just measured the rails. From the top edge outsides, they are 2inches. Now I did a search of (Model trains) and got a few online sales of the regular hobby trains. One of them (not disney) who had the same train for sale, had it as a (G) scale. All though they did say the scale was not on the box. So from you saying that G scale may have a 3inch rail, maybe the Disney train dose not go by a standard size track. Not a problem though. I will take it to a local hobby shop. Just want to see what the owner thinks of changing it in to remote control. I know not electric,but some how with the original battery system. I wish I was close to you. I'm in Pennsylvania. Thanks again.