PDA

View Full Version : Getting Extension on SW Travel

Dream'nDisney
09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Has anyone had luck asking for and receiving an extension on their Southwest travel vouchers? Ours are due to expire a few months before we are able to travel. We are hoping to get a 3 month extension, take the $50 per way deduction, and use the remaining for our trip.

TheRustyScupper
09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
1) Rule #2 says they cannot be extended.
2) However, I have heard of people selling them.
3) Most folks understand the time limit when they accept the voucher.

Dream'nDisney
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I have heard of several people getting extensions, but you have to wait until the vouchers actually expire before you make the written request. I just wondered if anyone here had personal experience in getting the extension, or if anyone had experience in getting turned down.

And I am one of those "most folks" who understands the time limit, but didn't plan on my spouse getting unexpectedly laid off. That tends to change ones plans a bit.

mudpuppysmom
09-15-2009, 03:08 PM
We had funds leftover from last years trip....I bought the tickets in August I believe for December trip.....I went to buy our tickets for October this year and was told that NO, you cannot get an extension......in several ways they told me no......I tried, but got shut down three different times.

Good luck getting an extension.....I have heard of people getting them!

Ed
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
And I am one of those "most folks" who understands the time limit, but didn't plan on my spouse getting unexpectedly laid off. That tends to change ones plans a bit.

Given the present state of the economy, some airlines are allowing exceptions to their general rules in cases where folks have lost their jobs. I'm not certain if SWA is one of them that has publicized their willingness to do so.

But given their reputation for exceptional customer service, it certainly can't hurt to contact their customer relations department (contact info here (http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/luvbook.html?int=FOOTHOME_CONTACT)) and lay it on thick about how you're such a loyal customer, how much you love flying SWA, etc., etc., and asking if there's any possible way they can help you out. Give it a try.

I know that I had no problem whatsoever getting a one year extension on a round-trip ticket-to-anywhere-we-fly voucher by just paying a $50 fee, simply because there was no way I could use it before its original expiration date.

P.S. - And I'm using that ticket next week to go to Disneyland! :mickey:

SurferStitch
09-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I was able to get an extension once. I wasn't trying to bend any rules, we just had an emergency at home (mom had a ruptured brain aneurysm), and we were going to use the funds for that trip before they expired a couple weeks later. They didn't give me a one year extension, but we did get 6 months, which worked well for us.

I explained our situation, and they granted the extension. It wasn't a piece of cake, but it wasn't too bad either. They deducted the fee associated with it, and sent the new vouchers in the mail (they had a new ID number on them of some sort....was a few years ago so I don't remember).

So, it is possible. I think it's kind of a case by case thing. If they believe your story/situation, and you get the right person to talk to, you'll get your extension.

Dream'nDisney
09-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the information. Hopefuly they will work with us.