PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness

ransam
09-15-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd like to know about Fort Wilderness.

if I understand it right, you can camp, or stay in the cabins...
Is it cheaper than a normal hotel to stay i the cabin? how many can fit?

Do they have busses to and from the park? some one said they busses take you to the TC and t hen you catch a bus where you want to go, but it had been a long time and he said it might have changed...

how much are you in the wilderness? i mean are there lots of animals around? snakes? etc.

did you like it?

Wishmaker
09-15-2009, 06:30 AM
I have only stayed in the camp ground. But from what I have seen and heard about the cabins: the are about the price of a Deluxe resort starting at $265 a night ( I could be wrong, hopefully I am) you are in the wildderness baby. From the pictures I have seen it is absoultely beautiful though. If you want the wilderness and money doesn't interfer do it. It would be a fun experience for your family. As far as the bus stops, someone else will sure elaborate on those, I don't know. Best wishes. :mickey:

dizne4me
09-15-2009, 06:55 AM
I love the cabins. They sleep 6 and you have a full size kitchen -- so that can cut back on the cost of eating out every day. There are bus stops through out the resort that will take you to the main bus depot for the resort where you can board buses to the parks and you can also take a bus to the marina where you can take a ferry to Magic Kingdom. You can also rent a golf cart that you can drive around the resort. As for seeing alot of animals, I saw a peacock with its handler (but I don't think it's there anymore), never saw a snake or alligator or anything like that --luckily.

btharvey
09-15-2009, 07:53 AM
We've been there the last couple of years. You can tent camp, trailer camp, RV camp, or cabin camp. Tent, trailer and RV are loads cheaper than cabin (I think cabin is about like a Deluxe resort, whereas our premium (top) site for our trailer cost us $54/night). Everything from water/electric through sewer, cable and internet (at the usual Disney fee), though there are WiFi hotspots at the outfitters (stores) so you don't need to get a cable modem connection.

Internal bus loops, but I'd recommend either bring bicycles or rent a golf cart at around $54/day. You can rent boats, take a boat to the Magic Kingdom (and then monorail to Epcot like we did), or at the other end of the campground, catch a bus to anywhere, just like any resort (It's really a "camping resort," not a "campground" ... way better than any KOA I've spent time in).

Meadow pool has a new water slide from the old River Country, and it certainly livens things up. There might be a little wildlife, but nothing serious. The "wildest" wildlife we saw was an armadillo wandering through our campsite ... that and squirrels. Lots of pets, as there are many "pet" loops and just a few "non-pet" loops. They've cleared out the underbrush that had overgrown over the years, but there's still enough to be looking good.

The only reason we won't stay at FW is if we don't feel like spending the 16 hours on the road that it takes to get there. Other than that, I think it's the best resort stay for the money. And even though expensive, the cabins provide more sleeping room than pretty much any other resort can provide.

TheRustyScupper
09-15-2009, 07:56 AM
if I understand it right, you can camp,
. . . it is a true campground, just like KOA, or such
. . . you can do RV or pitch a tent

or stay in the cabins
. . . the cabins are short mobile homes
. . . you can sleep 6, but a tad crowded
. . . they do have kitchens
Is it cheaper than a normal hotel to stay i the cabin?
. . . between the price of a Mod and Deluxe room

how many can fit?
. . . they claim six
. . . comfortably, I would say five
. . . the have 1-bunk, 1-full, -Murphy, 1-sleep-sofa

Do they have busses to and from the park?
. . . there are internal buses to get around
. . . the external buses do go to parks and DTD
. . . the external buses are boarded at the entrance
how much are you in the wilderness?
. . . many people visit FW and don't do parks
. . . or, they split the time between FW and parks

i mean are there lots of animals around? snakes? etc.
. . . it has wild areas
. . . there are certainly some snakes
. . . but, not many

did you like it?
. . . many people who try FW are really surprised
. . . it is truly a calm way to vacation at WDW
. . . not at all like the hustle-bustle of staying in a hotel

Mousemates
09-15-2009, 08:55 AM
FWC is one of our favorite places to stay. The whole laid-back campground atmosphere gives a stay there a far more relaxed feel than at any of the WDW resorts we stayed at. While not exceptionally large, the cabins do give a family of four (like ours) a bit of extra space and having an actual bedroom to get away for a bit personal time (i.e. a nap) can be nice. The cost is a little above the price of an average mod...but the cost savings of just eating breakfast in your room, could easily make up that difference. There are also lots of recreational opportunites there.

Our only complaint about the resort (other than a busdriver being a genuine grump) was the added time lags of the internal bus system...if you just missed "your bus" and had to wait for the next one....and then just missed the resort bus... it quickly put you "way behind" in terms of getting to the parks (if you like to be there at opening).

kathiep
09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
We just gave the cabins a 2 day try in August to see if we'd like them and FW. We loved it, loved it, loved it! The cabins were really nice. It was terrific to have the extra space and a separate sleeping area. We loved the relaxed atmosphere of the entire complex.

We weren't thrilled with the main pool having recently stayed at some of the moderates; especially since we heard it had recently been updated. It seemed a little small and crowded but we may have hit it at a bad time.

We loved the on site dining options and the boat transportation to MK and the other resorts.

The only thing we have left to figure is did we love it enough to pay that much more per night than the moderates. We love staying at 2 of the moderates too so the extra price might be an issue.

CU Tiger
09-18-2009, 12:49 PM
We love FW!! :thumbsup: We have stayed in the cabins 4 of the past 5 years and camped once. We are going back again for New Years. The cabins and the surroundings allow you to relax and you can take a little time off. You can sit on the deck and let your kids ride bikes (bring your own or rent them) or be outside and play. The main bedroom is in the back and you can let your kids go to sleep while you stay up without disturbing them. You can not do these at a normal hotel room. We do not eat much breakfast, so the kitchen gives us a little more flexibility to save some $$ and not have to always go out to eat. Sometime you need a break from a resturant.
You have boat access to MK, Wilderness lodge and the Contemporary. We love riding the boats. From the Contemporary you have monorail access to MK, Poly, and GF.
In FW, you have the C&D campfire/sing along, horseback riding, access to the stables that house all the horses used at DW, the new pool, HDDR, ..etc. You can also go to the beach each night and watch the fireworks over MK and they also pipe in the music for it.
Transportation is easy, but we like to get a GC and bring our bikes to give us a little freedom to roam around.
We feel this is one of the best kept secrets at DW!:number1::mickey: