PDA

View Full Version : Would Someone Tell Me How This Dog Does This...

TakeMe2EPCOT
09-14-2009, 08:36 PM
A friend of mine made this video of his dog and sent it to me. Now he's talking smack about how smart his dog is. I can't figure out how he gets the dog to do it! Can someone please explain the trick so I can talk smack back?

(deleted url)

DizneyRox
09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
The dog keeps barking until he gets food, pretty simple actually... You also can't see if they are prompting above the camera view (where the food is coming from).

TakeMe2EPCOT
09-14-2009, 09:48 PM
But it seems like the dog is "thinking," especially when she gets to 4 and 5. But I suppose you're right...they might be giving hand signals to stop out of the camera frame, but my friend insists they're not.

Scar
09-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Yup, most dogs can be trained to do stupid stuff with the enticement of food.

SurferStitch
09-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Looks like a Cairn Terrier (we have one), and they are very smart.

BUT......with the "speak count"...we taught ours to speak by just doing a mouthing motion with our hand (think of when you do the talking sign with your hand, like with a hand puppet). She speaks when we do that. It's very possible they are doing the same thing out of the camera frame.

We can also get her to sit and lay down with slight hand/arm movements. Again, easily done out of the frame.

Still, Cairns are VERY smart, and are very easy to train to do tricks. That is, when THEY want to do tricks. They are also smart enough to NOT do tricks when they don't want to!

jerrywilborn
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Like myself, they will do pretty much anything for a tasty snack.

I have a different breed, but I was able to train mine to sit/settle by holding up my right index finger (without saying a single word).

Because they associate it with a treat one of them starts drooling sometimes when I hold up my finger like that.

Dakota Rose
09-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Like myself, they will do pretty much anything for a tasty snack.

LOL.

Maybe we're related.