PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners Association-Vent!

DVC2004
09-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow- I am so annoyed. We live in a townhome and have been here 10 years now. There is a homeowners association here. So back in July, I received a notice that they observerd our hose outside and called it improperly stored, advised us to take it inside or we'd be assessed a fine.

Only one problem: it's our neighbors hose and outside his property- not ours. Our hose hasn't been out all summer. So, I called and explained and the rep apologized and said she would note it.

Today I got 2 letters. First was about the hose-AGAIN- only now they assessed a fine to our account! I walked outside, looked next door, and sure enough our neighbor has his hose still out there as it has been all summer! The second note stated they observed my child picking crabapples from the community tree and threatened a fine for destruction of community property. Well, not only is the bus stop in front of our home (son on any given day every kid in the neighborrhood is out there)- but we were out of town on date observed. So it could not have been my kids. Also, how the heck would they know which kids are mine anyway?

I am beyond annoyed, because I already called and explained the hose part already. You would think some one would read the notes and investigate a little further. Obviously, someone drives or walks around the community "observing" and reporting in the first place. Suggestions? I can't believe they could not discern the properties of the community they manage and keep harrassing us over things we are not guilty of!!! We tried to call them- they are gone for the day- so we emailed and I guess will have to call again tomorrow. Arrgghh!

Scar
09-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Suggestions? Don't pay the fine.

magicofdisney
09-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I think documenting everything is key. I'd take pictures and put those in the email as well. I'd also call them on how they determined this was your child (seeing as you were out of town) that picked from the tree.

I don't think you can just ignore the fine because they can put a lien against your property.

DVC2004
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Don't pay the fine.

I'm not, but that still means I will get repeated notices on the fee, plus as long as my neighbor keeps his hose outside I will continue get fines and letters.

Tinkerfreak
09-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Dont just call them, send a letter return receipt so you know who signs for it and that it was received also make sure to take pictures or video proving that the hose is not yours. I would also gather any proof you have that you were out of town on the day they claim your son picked apples. I would not let this go and just not pay the fine because it can get out of hand and they could put a lein on your house.

BigRedDad
09-15-2009, 08:34 AM
We live in a neighborhood of "homeowner nazis" also (I apologize for the term. But when their sole purpose is to selectively persecute specific people and not the entire community, then it is deserved). Document your data, go to the Board meetings, and change the Association. As a homeowner, you have a vote to the board and you can work to get yourself on the board to change it.

Our "homeowner nazis" are big on the garbage cans. Unfortunately, city and county laws prohibit a homeowners association from imposing additional rules on city garbage.

Ian
09-15-2009, 10:24 AM
We have the exact same problem. Unfortunately for us, the homeowner representative from our Board lives directly across the street from us and for awhile they just hammered us on any stupid thing they could think of.

And it would be the same thing ... we'd get a letter, we'd call to straighten it out, they'd tell us it was fine, and then we'd get a letter again.

But the worst one was we switched property management companies and somehow our bill got completely messed up. The new company claimed that we had been three months behind on our association fees with the old company which we most decidedly were not. We argued and fought for months with them and they just wouldn't have any of it. They actually went so far as to threaten to publish our names in the association newsletter as being late with our payments!!

I'd love to tell you that we fought the good fight and prevailed, but in the end I had to capitulate and send them the extra $255. This despite furnishing them cancelled checks for all our monthly payments to the old company!

Sadly, I don't really have any productive advice for you. I've found property management companies to be entities roughly akin to the Mob. They seem to exist pretty much to take your money. About the only thing I can offer is my undying sympathy. ;)

DizNee143
09-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Sadly, I don't really have any productive advice for you. I've found property management companies to be entities roughly akin to the Mob. They seem to exist pretty much to take your money. About the only thing I can offer is my undying sympathy. ;)

i hate our association..i had a fight with them a couple of times..
they said i was late on a payment..i mailed out that payment 11 days before it was due..it of course got lost in the mail..i told them about..cancelled the check..and sent another right away..and supposingly they were to note all that and not give me late fees..i guess i was too stupid and trusting..cuz i got late fees..and then when they finally got that lost check..they dumb heads tried cashing it..and caused even more problems..i fought for months..but still ended up having to pay the late fee of 25 bucks..i know it was only 25..but its the point! ya know!!
and i kinda had the same problem..i got a warning about not picking up after my dog..hello we leave on the corner unit..do you know how many dogs can do there buisness there and not have there owners pick it up..
ugh...it gets to me now just writing all this out about my experiences..i actually have 2 more..but ill stop here..
i wish you luck and i hope things will get cleared up...
i cant wait to move and not deal with these stupid associations!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I saw on our local news the other night, kind of the same thing you are going through. The family was being harrassed by their association and it happened to be their neighbors all along. They weren't being taken seriously or believed so they took their proof to the local news that deals w/ people who have been wronged. Needless to say.... things were worked out rather quickly...... It didn't say if they suffered repercussions from doing this later on.

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

caryrae
09-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Maybe you have but have you talked with your neighbor about you getting letters about their hose being left out and at least get them to put it away so you get no more letters about that?

Ed
09-15-2009, 02:34 PM
The horror stories listed reflect PRECISELY why, when we were house shopping for our present home, the very first question I asked every agent was "Is there a Homeowners' Association?" If the answer was "Yes", I thanked them for their time, and continued my search.

DizNee143
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
The horror stories listed reflect PRECISELY why, when we were house shopping for our present home, the very first question I asked every agent was "Is there a Homeowners' Association?" If the answer was "Yes", I thanked them for their time, and continued my search.

believe me...me an dmy hubby never wanted to be part of an association..but when it was thee cheapest place around and the ONLY place we could afford..we went for it...
we cant wait to get out bills and life in order and get the heck out!!!! hopefully only one more year in this ....

Ian
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't even have an excuse for buying a second place with an association, because we had issues with out first place, as well!!

I just sort of assumed all of them weren't as bad as our first one, which was obviously incorrect.

I will say, though, that I love, love, love not having to deal with exterior maintenance on my home. That alone is worth some measure of headaches!

gueli
09-16-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't even have an excuse for buying a second place with an association, because we had issues with out first place, as well!!

I just sort of assumed all of them weren't as bad as our first one, which was obviously incorrect.

I will say, though, that I love, love, love not having to deal with exterior maintenance on my home. That alone is worth some measure of headaches!

Hey Ian, just out of curiosity- couldn't you take tham to small claims court for the $225 ?
or is it not worth the time...

garymacd
09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Someone has too much time on his or her hands! Glad it isn't you.

Glad we live in an old neighbourhood. Truthfully, I don't know of any communities in the area with an association. We pay all our taxes to the city and let them worry about it.

Ian
09-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Ian, just out of curiosity- couldn't you take tham to small claims court for the $225 ?
or is it not worth the time...I probably could have, but yeah ... I decided it just wasn't worth the time. Honestly, it was mostly just my being lazy.

Mousemates
09-16-2009, 09:59 PM
wow....hearing the HOA stories lets me know that I would not be a good fit in a neighborhood with an active association...I prefer to be where i can (and do on occasion) actually leave my hose reel outside the garage without getting an ugly letter or even an ugly look from my neighbor. There are advantages to rural life...this appears to be one of them.

Dakota Rose
09-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I agree. Don't pay the fine. Call, email and send registered letters. Document, document, document.

If it were me, I would tell them they are on the fine line of harassment considering they have mistakenly accussed and fined you.

And if it were me, I'd think about moving. In fact, that is what we're doing. Long story.

titleistboy
09-17-2009, 12:42 AM
All I can say is that I'm glad my wife and I are moving out of our "historic" neighborhood and getting away from its crazies...after having my garbage cans "confiscated" by a neighbor who was bothered by them being out "all day" (I get home from work at 6:30)...

Everyone here is right...neighborhood associations, by and large, exist to collect fees...good luck fighting the good fight!

DizneyRox
09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Exactly! Built a home in the middle of nowhere and even at that, my neighbors are too close!

Dakota Rose
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Exactly! Built a home in the middle of nowhere and even at that, my neighbors are too close!

That's how we feel. We have acres of land between us and our neighbor. Yet that doesn't stop their antics. I guess some people just think they're in charge.

Disney Doll
09-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Good grief, sounds like all associations have a few overzealous members. I wold also send a letter by certified mail so you have proof of delivery and fight the fine.

Our neighborhood association has a few wackos as well. It's not all bad because the association coordinates the maintenance of all common areas. However, we have some who are a bit over the top about security, not wanting to have neighborhood garage sales because garage sales attract "undesirables", wanting the gate on the front entrance to be locked down like Fort Knox 24/7, and wanting a monitor for the school bus stop. We live in a nice area and it's very low crime. I can't believe that some people live their lives in such apparent fear.

Honestly I do think some people use the association for an inflated sense of self importance. Tracking violations gives them some silly sense of power. Pretty sad.

TheVBs
09-20-2009, 11:03 AM
How awful! :( Sorry you are going through this. It would make me insane. We never even considered living somewhere with an association. It was not something we could wrap our minds around - paying for a home that we couldn't do what we wanted with. Strange idea! I'd the mow the lawn 7 days a week before I dealt with something like that.:confused:

DVC2004
09-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks all- we did talk to the assoc. but of course everything must be put into writing. The pictures we attached to the email they couldn't open, so we had to redo all that, so should have this resolved any day now. I will talk to my neighbor about his hose and tell him of the situation (to warn him as well so he doesn't get a fine)- but not until they can come see for themselves that it's not our hose! And yes, it's still out there. I see it every day! Argh! So aggrevating. I know we will be cleared but it's just the hassle of it all that is the issue. As for my child accused of picking crabapples, I don't really think they can prove that so I hope this is where it ends. I can see I am not alone here.

DizneyRox
09-21-2009, 04:53 AM
... As for my child accused of picking crabapples, I don't really think they can prove that so I hope this is where it ends.
THis reminds me of our first apartment. We have dogs, and like clockwork every three months wewould get a letter and a "fine" for not picking up after our dogs. We fought it each time as they couldn't prove anything (and it was untrue since wedo pick up after them).

Found out they sent them to everyone with dogs hoping that people would just pay the fines instead of calling them on it.

I've found "real' home ownership far outweighs the benefits of an associationo, condo board or whatever you want to call them. I can do pretty much whatever I want and if I need to cut the grass or stain the house every so often, well, it just builds character. But to each his own...