PDA

View Full Version : Stimulus Money for Education

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
My wife's friend is going back to school to become a nurse, and there is a Federal sitmulus program that is paying for all the education expenses, including gas money, and her unemployment while in school. I've been searching the internet but cannot find information on it, although I know this is a legit program. Can anyone direct me to information on this?

Thanks!

ILoveLegos
09-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but here goes...

There is something called a pell grant and it is government issued to those who qualify due to financial need. It is not using federal stimulus money. It has been around for decades. The only thing new is that a person can qualify for a pell grant while still receiving unemployment benefits. In the past, going to school or job training excludeded a person from collecting unemployment benefits.

BTW pell grants are generally only useful for under graduate or certificate programs, teaching certification is the one exception to this. Of course good grades have to be maintained throughout the program and the application for the pell grant has to be renewed annually. You can find more information with a search of two key words from my post on google. Just a little advice to those interested, go to the .gov sites for ligitimate info, lots of others out their charging fees for things that are actualyy free if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps!

dephenn
09-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Please don't think I'm being rude, I'm honestly not , but why not just ask your wife's friend.I always say go to the source to find out. If she or he is truly a friend I'm sure they would be happy to share the information. If the program does exist please let us know, it sounds great. Best of luck.

DVC2004
09-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Hmm, have not heard of this but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I would ask your wife's friend (or have your wife ask her) or call a local college. I am sure they would know. Good luck.

MNNHFLTX
09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I would just call the financial aid office at any college and ask. Government regulations and eligibility for grants and other financial aid are always changing, so it's good to go to the source and get an accurate answer.