PDA

View Full Version : Garden Grocer 101?

Mom on a Mission
09-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi all -- we're finally returning to Orlando!! Our last Disney trip was a first-time-ever trip to DisneyLand two years ago. It was wonderful, and almost made me wish we lived on the West Coast, but I'm soo happy to be heading back to our WDW home!!!

We're staying at the Contemporary, and I saw a posting about scheduling a Garden Grocer delivery. When our kids were younger I used to go out to a grocery store and stock up on breakfast and snack items. When they were really little and we stayed at the FWCabins I did a full blown grocery trip. We've also gone the "pack food in one suitcase and fill with souvenirs on the way home" route.

Now I'm wondering if this is a better option -- can anyone give me the basics? What is there delivery fee? How does the process work? Do they come on time -- I'd hate to wait around for a delivery. Does Disney frown on this practice... I'd love to hear all the good and the bad and hopefully avoid problems others have encountered. :blush:

Thanks!

DreamFinder2
09-13-2009, 08:29 PM
We've never used GG, but there have been a lot of discussions on Intercot about them...here's one link to get you started.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=158631&highlight=grocer

Disney Doll
09-13-2009, 09:41 PM
We're using Garden Grocer for the third year in a row and we love it!
1. Delivery fee is $12
2. You need a minimum $40 order
3. You select a 2 hour delivery window, but do not have to be there for the delivery if you pay in advance.

This is a company Disney works with regularly and I don't think they frown on it at all. Disney will hold your delivery (refrigerated if need be) until you can pick it up. We started using Garden Grocher on our first trip with our infant son when we had tons of baby items to order. It was so convenient that we just kept using them.

Briansmom
09-13-2009, 11:57 PM
We used Garden Grocer this past May for the first time. And we will definitely use them again! They deliver your food to bell services at your resort (POFQ for us), and bell services in turn will refrigerate any items that need to be and will also help you take it back to your room (of course be ready to tip for this service! but that was worth it to us as well!) It is no different than anything else getting shipped to your resort ahead of time....the resort had no issue with it whatsoever. The GG delivery fee was well worth not having to go through the hassle of going to the grocery store ourselves (which we did the year before). I really believe it ended up saving us money in the end because we didn't make any of those 'spur of the moment' purchases you tend to make while you're at the store. Basically you are 'stuck' with what you ordered, nothing more, nothing less. Just make sure you make a complete list before you order!!
Garden Grocer was our hero!

VWL Mom
09-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Ditto to what others have said. If you do forget to order something before arrival, give them a call and they will add it. They will also add beer/wine to you order when noted in the remarks section.

KAT1811
09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
We love Garden Grocer. Makes life much easier. They are used a lot and book up quickly so if you are going to use them place your order well in advance. If you are traveling during peak times I would plan on placing your order at least a week and a half before you leave and if not I would still place it a week in advance. The first year we were going to use GG we weren't able to because all the booking times for the first five days of our trip were all booked. I learned a valuable lesson and always place my order at least a week prior to arrival and as a PP stated you can always add on to your order. They were great and I will soon be getting my list together for our November trip! Have a fabulous trip!

BelleKP
09-14-2009, 10:30 AM
They are used a lot and book up quickly so if you are going to use them place your order well in advance. If you are traveling during peak times I would plan on placing your order at least a week and a half before you leave and if not I would still place it a week in advance.

Thanks for this tip! :thumbsup: We have decided to use GG for the first time on our upcoming trip in Dec. . . . I don't know if I would have thought of placing my order so far in advance!
Again, further proof why Intercot is so great!
:rocks:

Mom on a Mission
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
thank you -- I knew I could count on Intercot! I just went on their site and made a favorites list while I think about what we need. I figure we'll get cereal, milk, fresh fruit and OJ for breakfasts, granola bars, nuts and pretzels for park/room snacks and a case of water. Anything else anyone has found especially helpful to order? Luckily we are past the diaper phase. GG would have been awesome for that!

momof3boysinTN
09-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Love the Garden Grocer. With 3 boys it is great to have some things on hand in the room. We have used them about 3 or 4 yrs and have always had great service, great items etc. :mickey: