PDA

View Full Version : I made a timecapsule

pink
09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
While my family was tearing down one of our wall in our kitchen, we came across a rock that had been there since the house was built.

We decided that in it's place we would put a larger rock with all of my family members names on it, and each of our birthdates. Along with the rock, I wrote a letter "to the people of the future".

We all sat down and decided what we wanted to put it in. I wrote how much things costs today, the biggest news stories this year, what is the top movies, celebrity, book right now, etc.

Has anyone done any of these before? If you haven't it is a fun family activity. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
09-13-2009, 03:05 PM
We've never done that before, but it sounds like so much fun. We are getting ready to add a plug-in receptacle to one of our walls and I am going to have to do something like this. I won't be able to put anything too big as the whole will only be the size of the receptacle. Good thinking on your part!

gueli
09-13-2009, 08:21 PM
What a neat idea.
:thumbsup:

alphamommy
09-13-2009, 08:54 PM
That's a great idea!

Once, when I was helping my dad remodel a kitchen, we put a "time capsule" in the drop over the kitchen cabinets. It was just a thin piece of wood that I wrote the date on. Don't think I put much of anything else on it. It wasn't our house, it was a job he was doing.

DD9's second grade class made time capsules that are to be opened when they graduate from high school. I'm not sure what all was put in, but parents and other family members were asked to write something. On the last day of school, they wrapped them, and it's now on the top shelf of our closet for 9 more years. It'll be fun to see what's in there when she graduates!

Scar
09-14-2009, 10:52 AM
My brother does home renovations. He always puts a newspaper in a wall that has been opened up.

handmaidenofprincesses
09-14-2009, 01:14 PM
DD9's second grade class made time capsules that are to be opened when they graduate from high school. I'm not sure what all was put in, but parents and other family members were asked to write something. On the last day of school, they wrapped them, and it's now on the top shelf of our closet for 9 more years. It'll be fun to see what's in there when she graduates!

When I was in 5th grade, we did something similar.. We all wrote letters to ourselves, telling about our daily routines, favorite activities and what we thought the future would be like. The teacher collected them and promised to send them to us in accordance with the date we're supposed to graduate college. I can't wait to read mine again in a year or two.. I distinctly remember writing that I wanted a flying car and to go on vacation to the moon...

Tinkerfreak
09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
DH does alot of remodeling of old homes on the coast of Maine in Harpswell and the surrounding islands. He has found some older stuff in the walls he has removed but I think the most interesting was a bunch of newpapers from the days after JFK was shot. There were some from all over the country and some from other countries. It was so interesting to read through it all and see what else was going on in the world in those few days. My kids could not believe how much cheaper things were. We are not sure what to do with them yet. I need to find out the best way to store them. They are in surpirsingly great shape.