PDA

View Full Version : Early Dec trip

Mrs Bus Driver
09-13-2009, 11:55 AM
I am hoping to go Dec 1-5. This will be my first time at this time of year. Any thing I should know about this time of year? Crowds, shows, whatever? :mickey:

lighteningqueen
09-13-2009, 12:13 PM
We have gone the second week for 2 years and they were wonderful!!! Best weather... If you have never been at the Christmas time decorations you will get in the mood no matter what mood you came in. You forget all the worries you left home with. You must go to the Osborne lights in DHS. Check for the times they come on but you will love it... You could pay and go to the candlelight processional but you can stand outside and hear it all and not have to wait in 2 hour lines. The MVMCP is the best. The parade is like no other and it only has the marching toy soldiers and reinder dancing in it and they are my favorite. Enjoy and do not miss a minute of your 4 days Not a minute it will be over before you know it. We leave or fly out on the 7th of Dec until Dec 16 and its not long enough!!!!

badkitty
09-13-2009, 12:56 PM
The Christmas Day Parade is typically taped at MK on Friday and Saturday (and Sunday is a "make-up" day) the first week of December (the 4th and 5th I think this year). Avoid MK at all costs if you are not interesting in seeing the taping. Friday they tape the songs in front of the castle and on Saturday they tape the parade on Main Street. Very, very crowded.

BMan62
09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
We were there a couple years ago right after Thanksgiving - we came home Dec. 5th - and, except for MK during parade taping, it was pretty dead around the parks. Just about everything was 'walk on.'

Temps ran the gamut - from T's and shorts during the heat of the day, to sleeves and light slacks for the evenings.

Make sure you get a chance to go to the MVMCP (Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.) It is a 'hard ticket' event, but worth every penny to do at least once.

Osborne Lights at DHS is a 'must see,' as are the 'Holidays Around The World' characters around World Showcase.

All the resorts are decked out in their holiday finest as well, so if you get a chance, do some resort hopping to check them all out. See if you can find all the 'Hidden Mickeys' in the displays!

You will thoroughly enjoy yourself! I Promise!!! :D

Mom on a Mission
09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
we went the first week of December in 2005. Great timing!! It is true that they are taping the Christmas Day parade, but if you find yourself in MK that day the key is to avoid Main Street and the parade and ride all the rides!! Everyone is crammed in trying to get on TV and you'll be walking onto every ride with no wait at all.

The weather can be chilly at night. Just bring a light fleece or wind breaker. DO NOT MISS the Osborne Lights. We had heard about this and thought, yeah, holiday lights, what's the biggie. OMG!!! they are AMAZINGLY beautiful. Really gets you in that holiday spirit. Also don't miss the holiday parade -- avoid the taping day -- but see it another day. so wonderful -- and it SNOWS!

Also, you don't need to go to every resort, but ride around to the monorail resorts and look at the decorations there. The lobbies are amazing and they each have wonderful gingerbread houses. the GF Christmas tree alone is worth the ride!

If you go to a MVMCP night be sure to see Santa in Town Hall. We stopped in on our way out at about 10:00 and there was absolutely NO line. I think it may be crazy as everyone is coming in, but as the crowds move in to the park poor Santa is left alone. He was very sweet to our kids. :mickey:

Have a magical trip!

Disney4us2
09-13-2009, 08:19 PM
We were there the first week of Dec. a few years ago, for DD birthday. We didn't see any filming at the time, unless it was on the days we were not at MK. Like the others said. Don't miss the Osborne Lights at DHS, it is truly incredible.

Also go to the Grand Floridian resort, they have a life size gingerbread house. It is quite a sight and makes for good pictures:mickey:

Weather wise, some days we were in short sleeves and other days needed heavy jackets. We didn't have any rain on that trip:)

Have a great time

Tigerinvestigator
09-14-2009, 12:57 AM
I agree it is a great time to go. Crowds are decent, weather is usually nice, and the holidays are in full swing at the parks. Like someone else said, make sure to take time to visit the different resorts like WL, AKL, and GF.:thumbsup:

AvaNellMouse
09-19-2009, 06:33 PM
It is the perfect time to go!

Don't miss the Candelight Processional at Epcot. Get the CD or you will be seriously bummed out that you didn't. It is my favorite Christmas CD.

You really will love the MVMCP - after the fireworks the park really clears out. You have the place virtually to yourself and it is so beautiful. Don't forget the Space Mountain will be back online by then! Whoooo Hoooo!:party:

We will be there Dec 2-6. :marg: