PDA

View Full Version : Luggage Fee At Pop Century

Going2HeavenRU
09-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Delta is now charging $15 (+ $5 for processing at the airport) for the first luggage bag you take with you, which you pay for when you get your boarding pass at the airport. (Don't get me started on how crazy this is :mad:).

That being said, when we check our luggage and get our boarding pass at Pop Century the day we leave, how are we charged for our luggage?

I called Pop Century and was told "that is a good question". The cast member then transferred me to reservations. The reservations person said "that is a good question" and gave me the number to ME. After sitting on hold for 15 minutes, I hung up.

Does anyone know how this is being handled at the resorts?

Phantod
09-12-2009, 10:26 AM
We're in a similar boat. It is my understanding that when you pay for the fee the first time, you can likewise pay for the return fee as well. Otherwise, you would need to somehow pay the fee to Delta BEFORE you turn over the bags at the resort. So, if you don't pay the return fee at the offset, you'll need to contact Delta during your trip and pay the return fee. Make sure to keep the confirmation number Delta gives you. You'll provide that number when you turn over your bags upon return.

So you should give Delta a call (not Disney)to make sure that this is how this works, that is, paying for the return fee in advance. We're flying American, and we'll find out for sure in 8 days.:thumbsup:

CleveRocks
09-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't bother calling the airline.

Resort Airline Check-in, the service at the resorts, is run and staffed by a subcontractor called BAGS Inc. You can pay them. However, you can't pay them at the time you check-in the bags on your way home.

During your stay, drop by your resort's RAC desk (they're open from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.) and ask for the toll-free phone number to call and pay for your airline's baggage fees. You'll pay by credit card in advance (a day or 2 before you leave Disney).

Going2HeavenRU
09-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the info. Remember when you were able to take luggage on your vacation?

wdwnutz
09-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Are all the airlines doing this? We are flying SW in December and as far as I know they might be the only airline that does not charge for your bags, or at least the first two.

dream_disney
09-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Most every airline is now charging for checked bags. SouthWest is the only one still saying that bags fly free. We are flyinng on Air Tran and they charge for checked bags but give you free Wi-fi while flying. But even with the baggage fees AirTran was still cheaper than SouthWest for us. Hope this helps.

MonoMan
09-13-2009, 04:15 PM
We are flying AirTran for our next trip too - We're planning to each check a bag and take a carry-on bag. In the past we usually just took one "family carry-on" but with the added fees, we're going to "max out" our carry-on limit. I'm assuming most people are doing this, so I'm expecting the overhead bins are more packed than usual??

Going2HeavenRU
09-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I just talked to my AAA rep and she said that she finally talked to someone at Disney that knew how the luggage fee was being handled at the Disney resorts.

When you check your bag, you just hand your credit card to the airline reps and they will print off your boarding pass. It is all done at the hotel and (she claims) very easy to do.

CleveRocks
09-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I just talked to my AAA rep and she said that she finally talked to someone at Disney that knew how the luggage fee was being handled at the Disney resorts.

When you check your bag, you just hand your credit card to the airline reps and they will print off your boarding pass. It is all done at the hotel and (she claims) very easy to do.Respectfully, your travel agent has it wrong. The Resort Airline Check-in employees at each resort are not capable of handling payments of any sort. In advance, you have to call a toll-free number to pay by credit card over the phone.

You can find the number for BAGS listed on your DME paperwork, or by dialing 0 from your resort telephone.

Please do us all a favor, though. Please bookmark this thread, and after you return from your trip, please let everyone know which one was the actual correct procedure.

Going2HeavenRU
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I will do that, thanks. I am surprised no one else has had to do this already since all but one airline is now charging.

CleveRocks
09-15-2009, 08:18 AM
On another message board I frequent, there have been hundreds and hundreds of people who've been doing this for a while now.

I should have pointed out in my earlier post that "BAGS" is BAGS Inc., the subcontractor for the Resort Airline Check-in service. In addition to doing this at WDW, they provide a similar service for many Las Vegas hotels and other places, too.

rflorek
09-15-2009, 08:29 AM
I will do that, thanks. I am surprised no one else has had to do this already since all but one airline is now charging.

Not true - JetBlue still allows one free checked bag per customer.

ChipDale2708
09-15-2009, 09:33 AM
My travel agent just told me that if you are flying Delta, be sure to call the day before and pay for your bags to avoid the $5 airport fee. In advance it will cost $15 and $20 at the airport day of. I know you have to do this in Disney, but people may not know about it on their flight to Disney. We're packing as light as possible so we can check just one bag for the two of us and we're both taking larger carry-ons than we usually use.

TiggeRia
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I just returned from WDW yesterday and did the check-in process at the POP century. After the CM's took your flight information, they hand you a card with a 1-800 number on it that is a central number for airlines to pay for baggage. You are put on hold (I was on hold for about 10 minutes) and when a person finally answers, they take all of your information and then take your credit card number to pay for the luggage. I flew United this time and it was $20 (ridiculous!). They then give you a confirmation number to write down on the card with the phone number. The CM takes that information and then everything proceeds as it normally does with the bag tags and boarding pass printing. Hope this helps!

TheRustyScupper
09-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Delta is now charging $15 (+ $5 for processing at the airport) for the first luggage bag you take with you, which you pay for when you get your boarding pass at the airport. (Don't get me started on how crazy this is :mad:).

1) So, how do you really feel?
2) Sorry, but businesses have to get revenue somehow.
3) With airlines, selling used-to-be-free-serices is the new method.
4) Even Southwest is getting into the nickel-and-dime charges.

Going2HeavenRU
09-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Finally someone who has been and can report on what really happens! Thank you TiggeRia! I leave in just 9 days and that makes me feel a lot better.

Going2HeavenRU
10-04-2009, 03:58 PM
We just returned yesterday and I thought I would update this post concerning the luggage fee.

When we arrived at the Delta area of the Cincinnati airport, we just had to use our credit card to pay for your luggage at the same kiosk that you use to get your boarding pass. We were only charged $15 at the airport and not $20 as we were previously told.

As was mentioned earlier, my AAA rep was completely wrong about how Pop Century handles the luggage fee.

When we checked in to Pops, we were given a piece of paper advising us that, within 24 hours of our flight, we needed to call a number that was provided in order to pay for our luggage.

The day before we left, I called the number and was able to pay for my Mom and husband's bags as well as my own. I received only one confirmation number for all three bags. It took about 10 minutes to reach a human.

When we turned in our luggage at the airline check-in desk, all I had to do was present our confirmation number and we received our boarding passes.

The process was painless (accept for the $15 fee of course).