PDA

View Full Version : Airfare Remorse?

GreenBeetle
09-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Does anyone do this?

You research for weeks, watch the internet for the best airfare, finally go ahead and make your move, then stress that you should have waited a few more days to see if it drops just a bit more??

I'm going through this right now. :(

Disney4us2
09-12-2009, 12:53 AM
I do the same thing. I will check the airfare at least daily or more for up to a year before the trip. Also checking seating maps lol. I am just a tad nervous when it comes to my travel plans:D

Once I get the tickets, I still check the site (seating maps) to see if the plane :plane:is going to be full. I always check the flights because they sometimes change the times.... Please refer to the above big grin statement. Once at the airport, I can relax and start my vacation:mickey:

wdwnutz
09-12-2009, 06:48 AM
I did this too, but relax, make the reservation (don't wait when you see a cheap flight!) and you can always rebook the trip if you see an even lower price. Our AAA agent booked the flight with SW as soon as the prices came out, got $99 each way, week and a half later they came down to $79 each way. I called her she rebooked it (no extra $) and got a credit of $160 to use over the next year with SW. No big deal, DD16 wanted to visit grandparents over Thanksgiving holiday in TX so we used the credit towards her flight. I still check SW every time I'm online to see if the price came down lower, but so far it hasn't. Good luck!

faline
09-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Most airlines charge a fee to rebook at a lower fare - oftentimes the fee is larger than the savings realized from the lower fare. Southwest is the exception.

VWL Mom
09-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Most airlines charge a fee to rebook at a lower fare - oftentimes the fee is larger than the savings realized from the lower fare. Southwest is the exception.

This is one reason we started booking Jet Blue from our area, they too offer a credit while CO does not.

Carolanne
09-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Kind of went through something like this recently.

Mom & I usually fly AirTran; she stalks the site for the best deal; months ago she found airfare w/them for $69 each way; she thought she booked round trip, but it turned out she only booked the coming home flight--we didn't have a flight going into MCO.

Of course AirTran's deals stopped for a while--none of the what we felt were good flights were decently priced. Waiting waiting waiting...my mom insisted AirTrain would have sales ("you watch!"), then it got close to when our trip balance payment was due--a week away from that & we still didn't have a flight into MCO. I was worried we were going to end up canceling the trip.

I kept poking her about not having the flight to MCO. She found a $79 flight with United (she really doesn't want to fly w/them) & booked it so I felt better. Know what happend 2 weeks after booking the United flight? AirTran had a fare sale...$79 to MCO. I felt dumb/embarrassed enough for pushing her to find something, and every now & again she still lets me hear about it :blush:

Phantod
09-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Fortunately for me, the DW is the one who is on the lookout for the best fares. My philosophy is that once the reservations have been made, I don't look any more. Just too stressful. And, like others, she keeps an eye on the specific flights and seats. We've had too many flight changes made by AA, including putting us into a city an hour after our cruise departed.:mad:

DizneyRox
09-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Does anyone do this?

You research for weeks, watch the internet for the best airfare, and decide to wait a little longer for the fares to go down. Then finally go ahead and make your move, and see that they went up from the last time you checked!

That makes me so mad, I should know to buy airfare early! :(

:D

TheVBs
09-12-2009, 02:28 PM
DisneyRox, That just happened to me with a trip to Pheonix. :(

GreenBeetle
09-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRox
Does anyone do this?

You research for weeks, watch the internet for the best airfare, and decide to wait a little longer for the fares to go down. Then finally go ahead and make your move, and see that they went up from the last time you checked!

That makes me so mad, I should know to buy airfare early!

:D

So sorry DizneyRox, I didn't see your post. When did you post that one? :blush:

But at least I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone in my stress. :faint:

WDWCrazyKaren
09-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Just did this for our trip in 11 days!

Spent months watching the airfare slowly creep down from $289 and we decided to buy at $229. General rule of thumb around here is $250 or less is a pretty good deal.

Well, of course I continued to watch the price drop like a rock to $139! Sigh. Seems forces are just against ya sometimes.

momofdisneyprincess
09-15-2009, 09:36 AM
As others said, I also purchase thru Southwest so I can have a credit if the fare goes down. I usually book the day the dates are first made available. I then keep watching and take credits when the price goes down. We are fortunate enough to take a vacation requiring a flight at least once a year so we are always able to utilize the credits. My DH and I are going away in 2 weeks and I have $189 in credits just from those tix going down so much. I'm able to use it for our family trip to DW in May so I'm psyched. As others said, Jet Blue will also issue a credit.

Dream'nDisney
09-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't get too upset about it. We booked our trip for earlier this summer and had to cancel. Now, our SW travel vouchers will expire before we can use them. IF we get an extension, we will lose $400 off those vouchers ($50 per person per way). :(

momofdisneyprincess
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh No, Dream'n Disney. That stinks! Did you have more than one confirmation #? I thought the credit was tied to a confirmation number so if it needs to be extended it should only be $50 total - unless there are multiple confirmation numbers. I hope it is only $50!

Dream'nDisney
09-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the sympathy. :blush: :D
Yes, we made two one way reservations. Then, we had to change it, so I have three confirmation numbers. (Not sure how that will play out??) I thought they told me it was a fee of $50 per person / per way, but I sure hope they cut me a deal instead of taking $400. Oh well, I guess getting some credit is better than losing it all.

DizneyRox
09-17-2009, 07:13 PM
It should be $50 per confirmation number, not per person...

BTW - Previously I was posting an alternative to waiting for get good airfare and that it could go up or it could go down. Buy it when you can afford it is the moral of the story.

Suz36
09-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Or, you book, and the next day they go down! This is so me! I drive myself, and anyone within earshot, crazy when it comes to booking airfare! Just remember, in the end, you're on your way to Disney, so it's OK if it cost you a few extra $$!

thrillme
09-17-2009, 11:35 PM
It happens to me EVERY DAY. If you see me standing in the shortest line...don't get behind me because the fool in front of me will need a price check because their can of spinach is actually .65 cents not .69 cents. SIGH...

I usually book on Southwest. If it goes down you can just cancel...rebook using your credit and get the remaining as credit toward the next flight. BUT...none of the other airlines seem to do this.

Look at it this way...you've got a good deal and perhaps a couple of other people will beat your "good" deal but you already probably beat a LOT of other people in your deal.

wolfhog
09-18-2009, 01:22 AM
I don't normally check after booking - it can be depressing. But I've been flying down a long time and the fares are not any higher then before (the 80's). Really - it's the other fees (rooms, tickets) that get you. Though to me it is definitely money well spent.