PDA

View Full Version : finger scan question

disneymom15
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Parents are going to Disney soon, they have activated tickets already. Mom has a splint on the finger that she used for the finger scanner. Will she have trouble getting into the parks? I would think that this happens often (broken hand, bandaid on a finger).

Stu29573
09-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Aparently the scanner will work on other fingers. When mine wouldn't work on the finger I used when I first scanned, they told me to try others, including my thumb. It worked.

09-12-2009, 12:53 AM
When the park greeter (turnstile person) sees someone that has a cast, splint or some other device on their hand or someone is in a wheelchair or scooter, they will press a certain code on the keypad that will bypass the finger scan for them.

Usually when someone is asked to use another finger it is because they have used a left index finger at one park and then try the right index at another park or they try a thumb when the system is "supposed to be used with the right index finger". Many people use their thumb and it makes for very awkward positions for some people to get into to get it to read correctly. If they would just use the right index finger like the scanner is designed to work with it would be a LOT easier for both them and the park greeter. Trust me on this.

DisneyFr33k
09-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I feel stupid asking this as we've been to the parks multiple times over the years. But, what is the purpose of scanning our fingerprints?

AllyMonkey
09-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I feel stupid asking this as we've been to the parks multiple times over the years. But, what is the purpose of scanning our fingerprints?

The finger scans aren't taking your fingerprints, they are just measuring your finger. The measurement is then linked to your ticket and only your ticket. This is to prevent other people from using your ticket or from people taking half used tickets and selling them to other guests.

Georgesgirl1
09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
The finger scans aren't taking your fingerprints, they are just measuring your finger. The measurement is then linked to your ticket and only your ticket. This is to prevent other people from using your ticket or from people taking half used tickets and selling them to other guests.

I have always wondered about this. DH and I and my parents and brother usually have one person hold the tickets so that he/she can run to get fast pass tickets and then we hand them back out without worrying who had what ticket to begin with. My dad and I have long thin fingers and everyone else has broader fingers. We have been doing this for years. We have never had an issue with using each others tickets until our last trip. We got stuck at the turnstiles trying to figure out whose ticket was whose so we could get in the park. Luckily we all entered the park at the same time that day! Have they recently improved the technology?

DisneyFr33k
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks! I thought it was fingerprints. But I'm still confused.... our DD on our 3rd day of our trip last year had issues with her finger scan (after 2 days of no problems). They had her use another finger and she went it. If they are measuring fingers, wouldn't that not match as her fingers are all different sizes?

vws_and_disney
09-13-2009, 03:11 PM
i also had trouble for the first time with the finger scans this past vacation. It also may have just been coincidence.

09-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Many people don't hold their finger FLAT on the platen (too big a rush to get through the turnstile) and do a bit of a roll on the edge or do not push it all of the way up into the scan area. Some women with long fingernails should lay the fingernail on the metal so the "whole finger" is on the scanner glass. When fingers are rolled on edge, not pushed all the way up or similar, they do not scan correctly and a biodevice error occurs.

Also, some people just "refuse" to allow themselves to hold them down long enough for the scan to make the comparison between what is on the ticket and what the scanner is reading. Those are the ones that feel some pain when they try to rush through the rotator arm and it doesn't move. Always wait until the green light comes on and then take the finger off of the platen and then go through the rotator.

Also, groups should always write their names or initials on their ticket to speed up getting in, and please have your tickets out before standing in the turnstile and then start looking for them and handing them out to your party. (my personal pet peeve)

AllyMonkey
09-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Also, groups should always write their names or initials on their ticket to speed up getting in, and please have your tickets out before standing in the turnstile and then start looking for them and handing them out to your party. (my personal pet peeve)

While this is only applicable for guests staying on-property, the last few times I've been down for a visit my "Key to the World" had my name on it- even if I wasn't the primary name on the reservation.

09-14-2009, 09:08 PM
groups should always write their names or initials on their ticket to speed up getting in

Actually, this is for ALL groups, more than 2 people, with paper tickets.

Imagineer1981
09-15-2009, 11:22 AM
you should always put your name on it, just in case you lose it too. In fact, when we get in with our CM friend, the CM at the gate makes us sign them everytime