PDA

View Full Version : Sanibel Island FL

disneyfamily05
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi Everyone! Myself, DH, DS8, & DD6 took one last summer trip to Sanibel Island FL (DH's best friend lives in the Ft. Myers area). I have to say I was a bit nervous b/c a lot of people said "there isn't too much for kids to do", and the kids and I are the "active" types - which is why we thrive at WDW. But I have to say that we had a great time.

Another piece of the background - growing up in MD i have only been to beaches on the east coast. So I am used to crashing waves, etc. I was shocked at how calm and shallow the water was in the gulf.

Arrival Day: Actually flew in Ft. Lauderdale b/c it was non-stop and cheaper to fly there and rent a car to get across the state compared to flying to Ft. Myers. Got to Sanibel Arms West (condos) which was amazing. They supply the beach chairs, and we even had paperback books waiting in our condo for us to read on the beach. We had a gulf front condo where we sat and looked at the gulf every morning over breakfast and snacks from our enclosed patio. There was a little boardwalk out to the beach. Once we arrived we headed for the beach right away. As I said I was amazed at how far out we could go in the gulf - there were boats closer to the shore fishing than we were. As we were out there I suddenly feel something(s) against my leg, as I look down I realize I am standing in a school of 100+ fish. I literally went screaming out of the gulf - and it was not as if I was 10 feet in - I swear it took me a good 4 minute to get back to shore. Of course DH & the kids thought it was great to see me in panic mode. Ate at the Mucky Duck - but missed the sunset b/c it was too cloudy.

Day 2-4: Since each day we went to the beach and the pool thought I would combine the days together. But in addition to the beach we went to Tanger outlets in the AM and purchased a bigger set of crocs for the kids. And literally what i probably paid at a regular store (20-40 dollars).. I bought 2 pairs for $14. Of course hit the beach in the PM, then me and the kids went to the Bubble Room for dinner. And that in itself was an experience (in a good way).

Also rode Sanibel Thriller which was amazing. It is a speedboat that fits about 30 people. It took us on a 1 1/2 hour cruise around Captiva & Sanibel. I learned about the history, when the hurricane hit, and the green flash. Which I was surprised b/c I didn't realize the green flash was real - thought it only existed in Pirates of the Caribbean. Best part of the cruise were the dolphins that would jump behind the boat, so close we could practically touch them. If you are ever there you have to check it out - it's a little expensive, but it's vacation right??

Also visited the the Shell Museum, the kids were given a treasure hunt sheet that they had fun doing and got to pick a shell on their way out. And I learned more about things that live in the shells than i ever wanted to know.

All in all it was a wonderful way to wind down the summer. One thing, the beaches were practically bare. There were maybe 3 other families/couples on the beach - so there is a lot of solitude. Of course DD did a lot of shell hunting and found some beautiful ones. Of course you can't take the ones that have live creatures in them.

I would highly recommend the area to anyone who wants a beach vacation without a lot of people around.

Crystal Palace
09-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a great trip! I am about 40 minutes away from Sanibel myself, and I try to get over there once in a while for the day. It's so pretty there. Glad you enjoyed!:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
09-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the report! We have friends that go to Sanibel and they enjoy it. So many vacation destinations but so little vacation time:mad: