PDA

View Full Version : another TSA/ medication question

LoriSan
09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
DS is now on antibiotics for an ear infection, so I will be taking meds to the World. The meds need to be kept cold. Do I just pack the meds and a freezer pack in a small insulated bag and show it separately to the TSA inspectors?

Iluvpooh
09-10-2009, 04:35 PM
As far as I know, the freezer packs(frozen gel) are a no go on all airlines. I hope someone can help with that or you may need to call the airline directly. My DDs shot meds also need to be kept cold and her doctor told us a few hours at room temp wouldn't hurt them. As long as they didn't get really hot and we put them back in the fridge as soon as we checked in.

Seasonscraps
09-10-2009, 04:40 PM
As an alternative, you could bring an extra ziploc bag which you can fill with ice at one of the concession stands after you go through security. I hope your son feels better and that you have a great trip. :mickey:

LoriSan
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I emailed the TSA. Here's my response

Thank you for your email message.

With certain restrictions, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) permits regular ice, gel packs, and dry ice in checked and carry-on baggage for keeping items cool. More specifically:

Checked Baggage: Regular ice and gel packs are not restricted by TSA. When regular ice is transported, TSA recommends a cooler. For dry ice:

. TSA requires that its packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas;
. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) limits each piece of checked baggage to five pounds of dry ice;
. The FAA requires that each package of dry ice be marked "DRY ICE" or "CARBON DIOXIDE SOLID;" and
. The FAA requires that each package of dry ice be marked with the net weight of the dry ice or an indication that the amount of dry ice is five pounds or less.

Carry-On Baggage: TSA only allows regular ice and gel packs in carry-on luggage for cooling medically-related items and baby food. Reasonable amounts of regular ice and/or gel packs based on the passenger's itinerary and length of travel and as determined by the Transportation Security Officer at the security checkpoint are permitted. For dry ice:

. TSA requires that its packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas;
. The FAA limits each piece of carry-on baggage to 4.4 pounds of dry ice;
. The FAA requires that each package of dry ice be marked "DRY ICE" or "CARBON DIOXIDE SOLID;" and
. The FAA requires that each package of dry ice be marked with the net weight of the dry ice or an indication that the amount of dry ice is 4.4 pounds or less.

TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with either regular ice or dry ice. It is important to note that TSA enforces all FAA requirements pertaining to dry ice.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

TSA Contact Center

Seasonscraps
09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
That's good to know - thanks for posting their response. :)

I would bring that with you to the airport just in case you get an overzealous agent that may not know about this exception.

Have a great trip!

LoriSan
09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I would bring that with you to the airport just in case you get an overzealous agent that may not know about this exception.

I was planning on that. Thanks!