PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Early Bird check in

BugeyedMuggy
09-10-2009, 09:43 AM
We just found out Southwest is offering a new check in for passengers willing to pay an extra $10. You would preboard 1st after the premier flyers. Has anyone seen or done this yet? We always download our boarding pass as close to 24 hrs and always get an A. Hopefully most will not do this so it won't force everyone to pay the extra per passanger each way.

BMan62
09-10-2009, 10:16 AM
We're trying it this time around so that 1) we don't have to get up before 7am the day before the trip and 2) we don't have to worry about finding a place to 'check in' on the evening before our flight back.

Since your boarding 'number' is assigned 36 hours prior to the flight, we really don't have to worry about checking in and printing our boarding passes until we get to the airport. (We'll get them done at home for the outbound flight and from Guest Relations for our flight home anyway.)

Ian
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Can someone explains how this works? I like the sound of it, but I don't really get it. :confused:

BMan62
09-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Can someone explains how this works? I like the sound of it, but I don't really get it. :confused:

For $10 per person per flight, you can purchase Early Bird Check In. This guarantees that you will board in the group after "A List" and "Business Select" fliers, but before the regular "A" group seating.

The boarding position is determined 36 hours prior to the flight based on 1) Number of "A List" fliers; 2) "Business Select" fliers; and 3) when you purchased the "Early Bird" option. You do NOT need to check in at the 24 hour mark to secure your boarding position. You cannot, however, print out your boarding passes before that 24 hour window opens.

Clear as mud, right?

SurferStitch
09-10-2009, 02:59 PM
This guarantees that you will board in the group after "A List" and "Business Select" fliers, but before the regular "A" group seating.

It doesn't guarantee "A" seating. You will probably get "A", but not definitely. You could get "B", then you would have to wait to board. If you get "A" seating, you just board with the regular "A" group, not before them. It's not a special boarding group...it just means you don't have to fight online 24 hours in advance to hopefully get "A" seating. SW does the work for you.

Early Bird is just for early assignment of seating. It doesn't put you in a special group for boarding. You get "A", "B", whatever.

Also, families with small children still get to board before you, too, even if you get "A" seating, as do unaccompanied minors.

And, Ding customers get last Early Bird assignments. Anytime fares get seating assignments first after A List and Business Select, then Wanna Get Away fares and Dings. That doesn't necessarily mean Anytime fares will board before you. It just means they will have their seating assignment before you. You could both get "A", and board at the exact same time.

Hope I was clear...that's a lot of info.

mudpuppysmom
09-10-2009, 03:05 PM
It's a new "hidden" cost that they unveiled this past week.....alot of flack is coming in on Facebook about it.....I don't think there are even 10% of the people on FB that said one positive thing about it. I'm hoping that they discontinue this, but I'm sure enough passengers will just think, "what's an extra $10".

I know for us, that is an extra $80 roundtrip that we do not want to afford. I guess I'll just hope we can still all sit together as I have two kids under 8!

Ian
09-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I still really don't understand this at all. When do you pay the $10? And what do you mean it's for "early assignment of seating"? Southwest doesn't give out seat assignments? Are they going to start? I hope not, because that's what I like best about flying Southwest!

Baffled. :confused:

BMan62
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Will EarlyBird Check-in Customers get an "A" Boarding Pass and be among the first to board?
Probably, but not always. It depends upon how many Business Select, Rapid Rewards A-List, and EarlyBird Check-in Customers are on a given flight. However, as an EarlyBird Check-in Customer you will definitely get a better boarding position than Customers in the general boarding group.

When are EarlyBird Check-in Customers' boarding pass positions reserved?
EarlyBird Check-in Customers will be checked in automatically and receive a reserved boarding position 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-in between 36 and 25 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time will have their boarding position reserved 25 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Boarding Passes can be printed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled departure time.

=========================
These two questions and answers tell you that my original statement is correct, although I misspoke saying that you are guaranteed an "A" boarding. You are guaranteed the first boarding group AFTER "A List" and "Business Select" passengers.

=========================
Is there an order in which EarlyBird Check-in Boarding Passes are reserved?
Yes, Customers who have purchased Anytime Fares will receive priority over other fare types during the initial boarding position assignment.

I neglected to note that "Anytime Fares" receive priority over "Ding! Fares"

Ian
09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Ahhh ... it's all become clear, now. You get your boarding position assigned, not a seat assignment.

Makes sense to me. Probably worth 10 bucks.

BMan62
09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I still really don't understand this at all. When do you pay the $10? And what do you mean it's for "early assignment of seating"? Southwest doesn't give out seat assignments? Are they going to start? I hope not, because that's what I like best about flying Southwest!

Baffled. :confused:

Ian, they are not assigning seats, but rather, are assigning boarding positions. You are still able to choose your own seat from any available at the time you board.

Example: There are 5 "A List" (boarding "A1" - "A5") and 7 "Business Select" (boarding "A6" - "A12") and 6 "Early Bird" passengers on your flight, then the first 'available' "Early Bird" boarding position would be "A13." Once all the "Early Bird" positions are filled ("A13" - "A18",) the rest of the "regular" boarding positions will be filled, starting at "A19".

Penny Lee
09-10-2009, 05:13 PM
So if I do this, I will be checked in for my return flight home also? :confused:

TheRustyScupper
09-10-2009, 05:15 PM
1) Yes, a lot of confusion.
2) But, it means that you board before people who do check-in at 24-hrs.
3) You avoid sitting at your computer with fingers at the ready.
4) For $10 each way, it is a decent deal.
5) And, a way for SW to make more money.
6) And, you thought SW was above the nickel-and-dime tactics.

NOTE: I am sure about the odds of it happening, but, I can see someone signing on at exactly 24-hrs and getting a center seat due to a poor boarding number. That would be really stressful, especially if families are split up.

Fangorn
09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
When do you pay the $10?

The Early Bird option is a separate transaction. There is a link under Travel Tools. Once there, you just enter your confirmation number and name and follow the prompts. Pretty simple.

Something to be aware of though:

The $10 payment is NOT refundable. If you change your flight, the option may or may NOT transfer, depending on the type of change and how the change was made.

Also, you cannot use flight credit to pay for the option, and they will not issue flight credit for the option if you cancel.

There was another discussion of this a few days ago. That can be found here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1955070)

Steve

Fangorn
09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
When do you pay the $10?

The Early Bird option is a separate transaction. There is a link under Travel Tools. Once there, you just enter your confirmation number and name and follow the prompts. Pretty simple.

Something to be aware of though:

The $10 payment is NOT refundable. If you change your flight, the option may or may NOT transfer, depending on the type of change and how the change was made.

Also, you cannot use flight credit to pay for the option, and they will not issue flight credit for the option if you cancel.

There was another discussion of this a few days ago. That can be found here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=160748).

Steve

Hammer
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Also, families with small children still get to board before you, too, even if you get "A" seating, as do unaccompanied minors.

Hope I was clear...that's a lot of info.

Actually, Southwest changed that a while back. Families with small children do not get to board before the "A" group anymore. They board after the "A" group but before "B" group. I like the change especially on flights to Florida where half the plane has a family member under 4. I could never get a decent seat. Now, I almost always get a seat where I like (window or aisle in the first 10-12 rows of the plane).

Unaccompanied minors and those needing assistance (wheelchairs) still board before the "A" group.

ThanxForNoticin
09-10-2009, 08:55 PM
6) And, you thought SW was above the nickel-and-dime tactics.

This absolutely is a nickel-and-dime maneuver and not something we would have expected from Southwest. Southwest is always critical of other airlines with their extra fees for bags and for the better seats - now they seem to be stooping to that level. I just flew Southwest this week. I missed the 24-hour window for check in by a mere 8 minutes, and we got seats in the mid-Bs. Very surprising and very disappointing, and probably due to this new way to buy an assignment. I guess we'll see if they keep it. If people keep paying, they'll keep selling the spots in line.

SurferStitch
09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Actually, Southwest changed that a while back. Families with small children do not get to board before the "A" group anymore. They board after the "A" group but before "B" group. I like the change especially on flights to Florida where half the plane has a family member under 4. I could never get a decent seat. Now, I almost always get a seat where I like (window or aisle in the first 10-12 rows of the plane).

Oh, that is good! Thanks for the info. We stopped flying a couple years ago because it's just such a hassle. Driving down has been much more relaxing and honestly, easier.

:thumbsup:

Mom on a Mission
09-13-2009, 07:35 PM
If everyone pays the extra fee, doesn't that mean you could pay extra and still sit in the back of the plane. do they only sell a certain number of these "resies"???

lighteningqueen
09-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Boy I am so worried this is my first time flying and I must sit next to my DH.I do not think I could fly sitting apart. I do not care where I sit window etc just so that we sit together. So are you saying that even if I do the check in at exactly 10:15 the day prior to flying at 10:15 the next morning that I will not get to board and sit with him??? We fly out of Dallas for Disney Dec 7th. I am so worried now and am not going to pay the extra$40.00 to maybe get a seat together. Do people move sometimes if someone really has to sit together and what seats go first? Is it 3 across or 2 per row?

BMan62
09-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Boy I am so worried this is my first time flying and I must sit next to my DH.I do not think I could fly sitting apart. I do not care where I sit window etc just so that we sit together. So are you saying that even if I do the check in at exactly 10:15 the day prior to flying at 10:15 the next morning that I will not get to board and sit with him??? We fly out of Dallas for Disney Dec 7th. I am so worried now and am not going to pay the extra$40.00 to maybe get a seat together. Do people move sometimes if someone really has to sit together and what seats go first? Is it 3 across or 2 per row?

If you check in at the 24 hour mark, it is probable that you will be able to sit together, but it will depend on how many "A List," "Business Select," and, now, "Early Bird" seats were sold for that flight.

momofdisneyprincess
09-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi Lighteningqueen. I just wanted to put your mind at ease. I have been flying Southwest for years and have never been separated from my family or DH. We have even had 'C' boarding passes and were able to sit together. I will tell you, it was further back in the plane but we were together. People tend to take the seats that are up front first. Do check in 24 hrs in advance so you can have a better choice of seats. In the unlikely event you do get split up, don't hesitate to ask someone to move. I have moved before when I was travelling along. Have fun!

DisneyFr33k
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
First of all, see my separate post with a warning for families of 3+ under the same confirmation #.

This will really work in our favor. We will be on a Disney Cruise and will save me the time and money to have to leave the beach to log in the internet (and pay for it) to secure our boarding group. I went ahead and purchased it for our fight down too. Better to see if there are any glitches at that time, than arriving at the airport for our flight back (when we intend to print our boarding passes).

Also, when on the phone with Southwest last Friday, I asked in what order they will assign the boarding groups. He said they will look at when you purchased the Early Bird and go in that order. So the sooner you purchase it, the earlier you will automatically be assigned a boarding group.

wildernesslady
09-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Does everyone in your party have to purchase this or can just one person? I know there is no seat saving on SW, but if there is only 2 in your party that should not be difficult.

DisneyFr33k
09-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Does everyone in your party have to purchase this or can just one person? I know there is no seat saving on SW, but if there is only 2 in your party that should not be difficult.

From what I read, the entire party does not have to purchase it.

BMan62
09-14-2009, 11:25 AM

I do not believe that Southwest would condone using the Early Bird system in this way. They do not condone seat saving, so this would be 'cheating the system.'

Since INTERCOT TOS does not allow discussions on how to 'cheat the system,' we would suggest avoiding further comments along these lines.

SorcererJim
09-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Seeing as how my first post was deleted since it was deamed that I was "cheating the system" by only buying one early bird for my party, I would like to share with you my findings. I just got off the phone with southwest to get to the bottom of this "early bird checkin". Here's the information I was able to get out of the agent on the phone:

1. Southwest does not have a "saving seat" policy. Boarding is a general boarding and saving seats is allowed.

2. People have (and will continue) to purchase one early bird boarding pass and then checkin normally for the other members of your group at the 24 hour mark. The early bird will save seats for their party. (Now, I wouldn't suggest waiting to the last minute to check in and then having to try to save a seat for someone with a "C" group, but you get the idea).

3. Early bird checking are "assigned" in the order they are purchased, based upon the "grade" of the ticket. ie. Anytime First, then Want to Get Away, then Ding fares. so someone purchasing a Ding fare before a "Want to get away" fare would not be "ahead" of them in line.

4. The agent on the phone thought the whole early bird system was a "horrible idea" and wished it would go away. Causes him grief trying to explain away the "fee" to his customers :)

Hammer
09-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Just because you want to save those seats (and I think it is very poor form what the reservations agent suggested as I think it is questionable behavior to say the least) does not mean anyone has to honor it. If I board the plane and there is an empty aisle or window seat in the first 10-12 rows of the plane, I'm sitting there.

momofdisneyprincess
09-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I have boarded a flight and a wife had her bags down in an empty seat next to her to save the seat for her DH. The flight attendant made her remove her bags so someone else could sit. Rightfully so, I think. Also related, my DD6 once got an A and I got a B. I was told she needed to board with us not the other way around. People saving seats only delays the boarding process which is the reason the flight attendant gave for making the woman remove her bags. Just because people are doing it (only getting one EB check in pass per family) doesn't make it right.

SorcererJim
09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Just a FYI... it wasn't until this new "fee" that I even contemplated "saving seats". our parties are always on one reservation and thus have numbers together... but I will say, those same flight attendents will then delay the flight because they need to find "two, three seats together" for the families that get the C group and don't board during the family board time... So they make people move out of the seats that they rightfully got there early to get... so you tell me what's fair?

TheRustyScupper
09-14-2009, 04:09 PM
flight attendents will then delay the flight because they need to find "two, three seats together" for the families that get the C group and don't board during the family board time

1) Flight attendants do not have to group people together.
2) There is no rule about making other people move.
3) They might VOLUNTARILY move, but, it is not forced.
4) I have seen many families not seated together.
5) I don't have a problem with that.
6) There were remedies to prevent it.
. . . buy Business seats
. . . get in at the 24-hr boarding pass time
. . . now, they can buy the $10 pass
7) If others can get good boarding numbers, so can families.
8) They system is absolutely fair to everyone!

wildernesslady
09-15-2009, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=SorcererJim;1957604]Just a FYI... it wasn't until this new "fee" that I even contemplated "saving seats". our parties are always on one reservation and thus have numbers together...

Our numbers have been separated before when checking in with the same confirmation number. This has happened on 3 different flight.

Also, I am not trying to cheat the system. I would never try to save multiple seats. I always try to head further back so no one else wants the seats next to me while I wait for the rest of my party to get on.

tyandskyesmom
09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
This is the first I have heard of this and I don't like it!

The main reason I fly SWA is becase of their cheap fares and my ability to check in 24 hours before my flight and get a good boarding pass so that I can choose my seats (and often times it is just me, my son (currently 10) and daughter (currently 5)) so that my children and I can all sit together...If I have to add on $80.00 (or even $60.00 in the case of just the three of us) then the base price isn't as valuable to me.

And I have been on flights where no one is willing to move for families to sit together. And that is just simply not an option for my family.

While SWA has been the most reliable airline and I doubt this will make us stray, I don't like it that the people with more money or the ones willing to spend more money than me will once again be able to bypass me and my family because we cannot pay the extra. The other way, we are all on a level playing field...if I check in at 24 hours I get an A boarding pass...if i don't then it is my fault. Not something I love because of my income.

lighteningqueen
09-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I totally agree with you tyandskysmom. What I do not get is someone who says if I get an isle seat I am not moving. Fine, but don't be a rear end about it. Some of us like me have never flown and are scared to begin with it's not that I want to sit near him to chat but to hold his hand and have support for my fear. I ask again is there something wrong with seats in the back????? Or just a matter first on first out. Who cares if that is what it is about. How are the seats on SW 3 across or 2 across or both... Gotta know this and yes we will check in 24 hours prior no matter what..

thrillme
09-17-2009, 11:57 PM
In the last many years of flying Southwest I've never had an incident where I couldn't sit next to my family even in the days where we had to check in when we checked out bags.

The only people I've seen with a problem are those that arrived LATE or had really large families (there's only 3 seats together...anymore than that you'll have to sit somewhere else).

If you have a young child with you...I guarantee you the stewardess will be sure that one parent is seated with the child if they have to "bribe" someone with a free cottail. Honestly I say MOST people are kind enough to move if they're flying solo.

I see this $10 deal for early bird check in just a way of stirring up needless "panic" and wasting money. The ONLY people who should be allowed to board early should be "handicapped" and perhaps parents with infants under about 2 because these people may have some difficulty manuvering through the aisle.

It really seems to me there's a LOT of seats in the "back" of the plane. Everybody seems to want to crowd up front for some reason. I just go straight back and we pretty much have the plane to ourselves for a while. I keep the carry ons under the seat and never bother with the overhead that everybody seems to fight over.

I do try to book at the 24 hour mark if possible...but if we get an low C we're probably still good.

lighteningqueen
09-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Good then there are actual seats in the back ha ha. I just wonder what the big deal was. We paid for the anytime seats I think they went on sale for Orlando and I jumped on them at $59.00 each way times the two of us. So we should be ok since ther is only 2 of us. Thanks for all the info. i am feeling better about it.

Hammer
09-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I was one who mentioned I like to sit in the first 10-12 rows of a plane, preferably in an aisle or window seat. Don't know why others do it, but mine is due to when I had a bad experience with turbulence when sitting in the back of the plane. I was told by the flight attendent that the turbulence would usually feel less severe the closer you are to the front. So, I sit in the front. On airlines that charge for window and aisle seats in the front of coach (which is almost all other airlines), I'll pay the price if I can or I take a middle seat.

It may have come off that I would not move for someone. I have and will move so a family can sit together, so long as I can have a seat in the front or middle of the plane and the person is nice about it. If the person gives me attitude, I am not so willing to help.

Tick-Tock
09-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I ask again is there something wrong with seats in the back?????

Nothing is wrong with the seats in the back. We always head for the back. More chance of having no one seat in the middle seat.

Disney Doll
09-18-2009, 04:05 PM
In the last many years of flying Southwest I've never had an incident where I couldn't sit next to my family even in the days where we had to check in when we checked out bags.

The only people I've seen with a problem are those that arrived LATE or had really large families (there's only 3 seats together...anymore than that you'll have to sit somewhere else).

If you have a young child with you...I guarantee you the stewardess will be sure that one parent is seated with the child if they have to "bribe" someone with a free cottail. Honestly I say MOST people are kind enough to move if they're flying solo.

I see this $10 deal for early bird check in just a way of stirring up needless "panic" and wasting money. The ONLY people who should be allowed to board early should be "handicapped" and perhaps parents with infants under about 2 because these people may have some difficulty manuvering through the aisle.

It really seems to me there's a LOT of seats in the "back" of the plane. Everybody seems to want to crowd up front for some reason. I just go straight back and we pretty much have the plane to ourselves for a while. I keep the carry ons under the seat and never bother with the overhead that everybody seems to fight over.

I do try to book at the 24 hour mark if possible...but if we get an low C we're probably still good.

I agree. I don't think anyone should panic about getting a seat together. In fact, if you have a young child chances are someone will want to move for you. It's likely that nobody wants to sit next to a little kid unless they have to. :secret: