faline
09-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Cast of Characters: Gene & Me

Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Plan for the Day:
Magic Kingdom
Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café for lunch
Tony’s for dinner

How the Day Really Went: Our room is really quiet. Still, I wake up several times during the night which is typical when I first spend time in a new place. Actually, I was quite cold and was trying to snuggle as far into the bedding as I could! Guess our air conditioning worked well!

Around 7, I became aware that Gene was awake. The first words out of his mouth were “I’m hungry.” Okay – let’s fix that.

We get up, get dressed and take the few steps (literally) from our room to the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory.

Here on Intercot, I’d read so much about the beignets that I really wanted to try them. I tell the woman I would like to try the beignets and how does this work? She asks me how many I would like, giving me the impression I have a choice, so I say two. She then tells me I can only select three or six. So why didn’t you tell me those were my choices to begin with? Whatever – go with the flow. Okay. I’ll have three. Gene selects a muffin. We also have coffee and juice. We pay out of pocket for this meal.

For those of you who would travel to the ends of Earth for beignets, you might want to skip this paragraph. Bottom line – okay. I’ve tried beignets and I’m not overly impressed. No need to do that again. I’m sure that I love some food items that none of you would agree with so this is all a matter of personal tastes. They were good but basically fried dough and I’ve never been a big fan of fried dough.

At 9:00, we arrive to find a very crowded bus stop. Animal Kingdom and two Disney Studio buses arrive in short order. Twenty minutes later, two Magic Kingdom buses arrive at the same time. We opt to board the second one. There is some confusion as it becomes known that a family has one of those wheelchairs that looks more like a stroller than a wheelchair. I alert our driver who manages to get them boarded even though our bus has already loaded. It’s almost 9:30 before we’re under way for the Magic Kingdom.

As we get closer to the Magic Kingdom, I get my first glimpse of the Castle! Happy! Happy!

We get through security and the gates. There are lots of folks on Main Street but when we arrive at Pirates of the Caribbean, it’s a walk-on. As we leave, we stop and visit with Peter and Wendy. Peter observes we have clearly not grown up! How astute!

It’s off to get a fast pass for Splash Mountain! We stop to take pictures at Splash and Gene’s new camera (Christmas present) doesn’t seem to be working. It turns on but won’t snap pictures. Condensation? We hope so. (We later learn a button was in the wrong position and once that’s determined, we’re good to go!)

http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/12562/2434982890104031159S600x600Q85.jpg

Once we have our Splash fast passes in our hands, we head for the train station. One train leaves the station just as arrive. Another comes along soon enough and we chug our way all the way around the park and back to Frontierland.

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/42253/2444228880104031159S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2444228880104031159BYiWuh)

It’s still not time for our fast passes so we walk over to the Country Bear Jamboree. What a great cast member! He had everyone in the audience stand and find a partner (or not). With partner, provide a bear grin; bear teeth; and finally a bear hug! After that bit of interaction, we enjoyed the show!

URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2554656040104031159VzUhgu]http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/44275/2554656040104031159S600x600Q85.jpg[/URL]

Not yet time for our fast passes, so we walk right into the Hall of Presidents. I’m very impressed with the new presentation. Really liked it a lot!

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/36515/2259443280104031159S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2259443280104031159EQVnOl)

We now pick up fast passes for Big Thunder Mountain and turn in our fast passes for Splash. We’re seated in the back of the boat and barely get damp which is okay as I’m not a bag fan of rides that soak me to the skin!

As we walk across the park to Cosmic Ray’s for some lunch, it is sprinkling. We use our first counter service of the dining plan. Pork sandwich, brownie and coke for me. Gene has the turkey wrap with triple chocolate cake and a coke.

After lunch, we once again cross the park to use our Big Thunder Mountain fast passes. The fast pass line is surprisingly long – must have gotten back up somehow but it moves along quite rapidly to the detriment of the standby line – I’m sure!

http://inlinethumb01.webshots.com/43264/2908685180104031159S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2908685180104031159QtMgNw)

The Riverboat pulls away from the dock just as we arrive so we join the line for the Haunted Mansion. Posted at 25 minutes, it’s the longest line we’ve encountered all day.

http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/27984/2561012760104031159S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2561012760104031159YFfnyz)

Leaving with our ghost, we wait 5-10 minutes and then board the Riverboat for a sail through the river.

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/45359/2074892340104031159S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2074892340104031159mQamml)

We decide to exit the park and have to wait about 15 minutes for a bus back to French Quarter. In our room we find a picture signed by Mickey and Minnie congratulating us on our anniversary! Very cute!

It’s a hot afternoon and we decide to check out the pool. After splashing for a bit and cooling down, we head to the shop. As we enter, the cast member provides us with New Orleans style beads! We spend enough in the shop to qualify for the special add on Mickey Mouse watch which we also buy.

Back in our room, we shower and change. When we arrive at the bus stop, it’s devoid of people so we figure we’ve just missed a bus and will need to wait for a bit. But – less than 5 minutes later, we’re on board a bus to the Magic Kingdom. As a matter of fact we’re the only two on board for this trip. Several times during this trip, we witnessed long waits for buses with two buses for the same park showing up within minutes of each other – or even at the same time! That’s probably what happened here.

It’s sprinkling once again as we arrive at the Magic Kingdom. We browse through the shops as we make our way up Main Street. There are no more fast passes available for Peter Pan and the standby line is way too long. We browse the shops on the other side of Main Street. It’s beginning to rain harder as we arrive at Tony’s. In fact, we make a running dash across the road to get there to try not to arrive too wet!

While we are waiting to check in, several families in front of us are turned away as they have no reservations. Once we give our name, we wait 10-15 minutes before being seated. Our table is decorated with curly crepe paper and Mickey head confetti. Way cute! I keep scooping up little Mickey Head Confetti to take home with me!

While we are on the dining plan, we also have the Disney Dining Experience – now known as Tables in Wonderland – providing discounts on food and drink to annual passholders. As not everything is included on the Dining Plan, there were several times when we asked for a separate check for the items not included on the dining plan so we could also take advantage of this discount. Only once did we encounter a cast member who handled this easily and correctly. On this night, we decided to order an appetizer which, as you know, is not included on the dining plan, so we asked for separate checks. The server seemed to understand but still got it wrong. In any case, we started our meal with a very yummy tomato and mozzarella salad. Gene ordered steak for dinner (on the dining plan) and I ordered a pasta and seafood dish (also on the dining plan). We both have ice cream bombs for dessert (also on the dining plan). For some reason, the cast member puts the tip from the dining plan on the discount check but also includes it on the dining plan slip. Nope – not right. Finally, get that squared away and head out of the restaurant.

It is no longer raining and folks are lining up for Spectromagic. We opt not to view the parade and head, instead, to It’s A Small World. Peter Pan is a 60 minute stand by! No thanks! When we exit It’s a Small World, Peter Pan’s standby time has reduced to 50 minutes. We still pass it by and head, instead to Snow White. I realize I’m beat and want to put my feet up! We opt, sadly, to skip Wishes, and head home for the evening.

Our bus is there when we arrive at the stop and we even get a seat for the ride home. We’re quickly returned home.

While I was on It’s A Small World, for some reason, I noticed I did not have the key to the room safe with me. Yup! Right where I left it – hanging out of the open safe door! Doesn’t help protect the things I put in there much. Fortunately, no harm has come from this little lapse!

We have a nightcap in our room before settling in for the night.

Miles Walked: 5.89

New Experiences for Today: Beignets

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
What a great day! (and no, I won't tell DH you're not too impressed with the beignets! :secret:)

mouseketeer mom
09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh, I like the miles walked at the end of your post. We say every trip "We have to wear one of those things to keep track of our mileage"..we are amazed how much walking and ground we cover each trip. We are curious to know exactly how much we do!!
A great day! Enjoyed reading about it a great deal!

nicster
09-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Loved your trip report. What camera are you using? The pictures are great!!

Phantod
09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the mileage as well. We always seems to be walking a hundred miles each day. :mickey:

Maybe we'll be okay then, since we're in training walking about 4.5 miles each day.

Glad you had a good day :thumbsup:

KylesMom
09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
A great start to your trip - it sounds like lines were fairly low (except for Peter Pan's Flight, of course) and I'm glad your food experience at Tony's was good. Maybe next time we should try dinner instead of lunch! :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
A few years ago I was at a college bowl game in New Orleans and I tried beignets and chickory coffee for the first time because everyone loves them so much. I ordered a half dozen and didn't finish the first one. They reminded me of the cheap white powder doughnuts you get at the 7/11. The chickory coffee tasted like I put twice as many scoops of folgers in the coffeemaker as I was supposed to. Anyway that is my extremely long way of saying I agree with you!:thumbsup:

vizsla
09-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the report.

faline
09-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Loved your trip report. What camera are you using? The pictures are great!!

Actually, we had two cameras with us. I have a little Sony Cybershot. Gene has a Nikon Digital SLR.

princessgirls
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Great day Linda and Gene!

Yes, a lot of walking but also a ton of fun and good food!

Thanks so much for the report! Glad you are having such a wonderful time!
Julie:mickey:

DizNee143
09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
sounds like a pretty good day..
that sounds like something i would do with the safe...especially now with my pregnancy brain..
ive never used the safe at any hotel...i just leave stuff in my suitcase if its something important and leaving it before..but usually anything that is important is with me..:mickey:

offwego
09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Too funny about the safe (DS did something similiar, taking the key but not closing the door and again no harm no fowl occured)

Sorry you didn't care for the breakfast of sugar.

Glad you enjoyed Tony's though, despite issues with the bill. We found that created confusion as well. Not fun but doable.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Boy, that sounds like my kind of day. What a relaxing and fun trip you are having so far!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm glad there were no problems with the safe:)

divinedi
09-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Great trip report! I did the same thing with the safe once, like others have said, no problems, thankfully.

I also agree with you about the beignets. Tried them once, won't bother again.

Thanks for sharing!

stitchaholic
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
i am trying to live vicariously through your reports,keep them coming :mickey:
i have heard alot of people rave about certain food items,that once tried i didn't quite get it either,to each his own i guess.

Disneymom4ever
09-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Sounds like a great day! To be honest, I'm not even sure what a beignet is. I'm imagining something along the lines of a croissant? You're pictures turned out great, what a nice camera! On to read more..:mickey:

faline
09-11-2009, 06:17 PM
To be honest, I'm not even sure what a beignet is. I'm imagining something along the lines of a croissant?

If you've ever been to a carnival or something similar that serves fried dough - that's pretty much waht a beignet is!

Disneymom4ever
09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Hmm... sounds interesting. I might just have to try one next time just out of curiosity! Thanks! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
09-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Good day! I am headed to Chap3!:mickey:

pdrlkr
09-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the Report! :tink:

BelleKP
09-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear that you don't like the beignets as much as me . . . no wait, that's fine, just more for me! ;)
Great day at MK! Looking forward to Chapter 3!:thumbsup:

darthmacho
09-17-2009, 04:25 PM
A fun read. I enjoyed it like I was there. :mickey:

By the way, I hope your husband gave you a foot rub back at the hotel! After all, that's waht husbands are for, right? :D

faline
09-17-2009, 07:08 PM
By the way, I hope your husband gave you a foot rub back at the hotel! After all, that's waht husbands are for, right? :D

I knew there was something Gene forgot to do while we were there! I'll have to put that on the list for our next trip! ;)

yjgirl32
09-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Don't feel bad- I too am not a huge fan of beignets. Never been a fan of fried dough. Nice report. thanks for sharing.