PDA

View Full Version : Hard of Hearing/Deaf

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Dawn and I(Diane), have profound hearing loss. Has anyone here ever utilized the strobe light/bed vibrating thing in case of emergencies at your resort? Our brother will be w/us and uses a c-pap machine. We know for sure none of us girls or him will be able to hear anything at night. Denise and our brother Teddy have moderate hearing loss. I was also wondering about the hearing devices you can use at all 4 parks. I believe it may be a great idea for Teddy. I have hearing aids and we 3 girls sign alot.

Thanks so very much for your help!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Mickey'sGirl
09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I am hoping that someone will come along with some information for you Diane!

In the meantime, you might find this link (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/hearing-disabilities/) from Disneyworld.com useful.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Thankyou Jennifer! We appreciate you!!!

Diane:wave:

Strmchsr
09-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Diane,

I didn't see any further info to your question. I know a lot of the shows at WDW now use the "mirror" technology where they have the words to the shows projected behind you. If you have a small mirror you can read it over your shoulder while still watching the show. I thought that was pretty cool.

As for the bed shaking/strobe thing, haven't talked to anyone who used it at the parks, but my Aunt uses it at home and it's worked really well for her. Hope you get all the info you need!

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks so much for the heads up on the mirror technology!! We really appreciate your help!

meldan98
09-28-2009, 05:54 PM
My bff has significant hearing loss and utilizes the mirror technology at all of the shows that have it. She loves it. She has had a few issues with suprise noises that will blow out her hearing aid batteries, but she has now learned to keep spares with her, just in case. I do recall the last time we went to the resort that the room we stayed in had a strobe fire alarm. It went off once while we happened to be in the room.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for your help! I didn't even think about exactly how MANY hearing aide batteries I may need! WOW! I wonder which rides blew her batteries.... I am so glad you mentioned this because I am going to make sure we are WELL PREPARED!!
We have used the mirror thing at our local movie theatre but they are HUGE and they don't bend well. We usually just wait until the movie comes out on video for closed captioning. Do you know if it is a big thing?
Thanks to all who have helped us. We appreciate all of the wonderful Intercot family!

Buttercup
09-29-2009, 05:59 PM
From what I've seen of other people using the mirrors, they're about the size of a rearview mirror in a car and I *think* they're on a little stick that you can hold.
Here's a link on all the different reflective & handheld captioning you can get at WDW.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/hearing-disabilities/

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks so much!!!

LVT
10-11-2009, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=Dawn,DeniseandDiane;1964819]Thanks for your help! I didn't even think about exactly how MANY hearing aide batteries I may need! WOW! I wonder which rides blew her batteries.... I am so glad you mentioned this because I am going to make sure we are WELL PREPARED!!

Batteries. Ha! I went through a lot at WDW. I thought it was because of the Humidity. Take a lot from home. I bought some there and they did not last more than 3-4 days each instead of the 7-10 I am used to.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
10-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks LVT and all for your help! I bought about 30 batteries for our 8 day trip. I hope it is enough! I am really looking forward to being able to hear alot of things at WDW that, I haven't heard or "caught" before.

Dznygrl79
10-21-2009, 12:49 PM
The mirror tech or reflective caption is great I have minor hearing loss but in bigger shows I can't make much out so I use it is great. I have been to a few live shows and had interpreters, and they are wonderful. As far as the room alarm it was there I never used it thankfully just make sure to include a note on your ressie about HoH and they will be more than accomadating. From personal experiance they had two CM's at Pop who sign, don't kniw if they are still there but its on their name tag. Have a great trip!