PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Disney Grandmother Names...?

mickeys_princess_mom
09-08-2009, 12:14 AM
We're not there yet, but whenever I do become a grandmother, I don't know what I want to be called...Grandma, etc. just isn't for me. I was trying to think of something, maybe Disney- oriented, based on a character possibly, and I thought of asking you guys! Who are the experts on great Disney ideas?! Intercot people!
Can you help me, please? Thought of "Tink"...like "Nana", but already taken..Like the idea of something sounding British (my ancestry)....What are your thoughts?
:baby:

Lakin
09-08-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm glad your not one of those 'Me-Maw & Pe-Paw' type of people. It bugs the living tar out of me when people say that, IDK why.

Maybe you could be their Fairy Grandmother?

mickeys_princess_mom
09-08-2009, 12:27 AM
That's sort of the direction I'd like to take, but that phrase would be a mouthful....Looked up to see if Cinderella's fairy godmother had a name, but I don't think so....

DizNee143
09-08-2009, 09:27 AM
im pregnant right now..and the moms are starting to get crazy with what they wanna be called..
my mom i believe has decided on grandma..
in my family we called our grandmas - grandma and there last name..
but my mom doesnt like that..so she going with her first name..so she will be Grandma Lorraine..
but my mother in law wants to go by me-maw..
and i refuse to call her that..it just sounds redneck/hick..trailer trash to me...(this is MY OPINION!)..and i just wont call her that..why would anyone wanna be called that..
she says shes too young to be a "grandma"..i told her if she has a son whos old enough to have a kid with his wife then your old enough to be a grandma!
she will be known as grandma..when our kid gets older she can choose what to call her..but i will be referring to her as grandma!

theres Nana...and Nanny...
how about Grams?

momofdisneyprincess
09-08-2009, 09:32 AM
My children call my mom Nana and my husband's mom Mimi. I believe Mimi is British so you might want to consider that? Children have a way of coming up with their own names. She was supposed to be grandma but my DD couldn't pronounce that and said Mimi instead. She liked that better so all is well. However, my husbands father was supposed to be Grampy and she couldn't pronounce that either and called him "Pee Pee" for a while. It was pretty funny!!!

VWL Mom
09-08-2009, 09:57 AM
When DS17 was born my mom was just so thrilled it didn't really matter. He dubbed her GaGa and it stuck.....to this day even though she is gone that is how he refers to her.

My mil on the other hand demanded my kids call her what she wanted and corrected them when they were wrong. They pretty much don't refer to her at all.

IMHO, when the time comes, you'll know what fits and even if it is a bit strange embrace the love behind it.

DVC2004
09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
My oldest used to call my mom "Greena" when he was little and couldn't say it but now she is just plain Grandma. The grandmother on my husband's side wants to be called Gran-mee or Grammy (either is OK).

tinksmom02
09-08-2009, 01:12 PM
My daughter christened my MIL "Mala" when she was little, I think it was the closest she could get to Nana, which is what my nephews call her.

DD has always called my mom "grandma" until my nephew on my side somehow started called my parents Mi Ma (pronounced MeeMah) and BeBop :confused: I have no idea where it came from, but my parents like it, and my daughter has even started calling them that.

I know none of this sounds British :) but I thought I'd share anyway!

diz_girl
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
DD has always called my mom "grandma" until my nephew on my side somehow started called my parents Mi Ma (pronounced MeeMah)...

My niece and nephew call my mother MiMa (same pronunciation). My son calls my parents Grampa and Grampa instead of Grandma and Grandpa because he can't say Grandma yet. He calls my MIL Oma, which is a common German name for a grandmother.

Try another language, there might be something out there that you might like. For example, Lola is Filipino for Grandmother.

SBETigg
09-08-2009, 01:36 PM
My daughter christened my MIL "Mala" when she was little, I think it was the closest she could get to Nana, which is what my nephews call her.

DD has always called my mom "grandma" until my nephew on my side somehow started called my parents Mi Ma (pronounced MeeMah) and BeBop :confused: I have no idea where it came from, but my parents like it, and my daughter has even started calling them that.

I know none of this sounds British :) but I thought I'd share anyway!

Christi, so funny! When my son was two, he couldn't say grandpa and it came out as Bebop, so that's he always called my husband's father. Amma (for Grandma) and Bebop. I thought he was the only Bebop. Nice to know there's another. :thumbsup:

I like Mimi. My husband's grandmother was always Nonnie to the family, and I liked that, too. It's a good question. I'm not going to be a grandmother for awhile, I hope, but I do think about what the kids will call me then. Hard to come up with anything Disney-related, though, other than Nana. I know Maleficent and Ursula are not making the list of possibilities. ;)

buzznwoodysmom
09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
A friend of mine's daughter calls her grandma Lolly, and her grandpa Pop. As in Lollipop. Don't ask how they came up with this, or if it was just the way the little girl pronounced their "grandparent" names, but it is really cute to hear her call them this. Another friend of mine's kids call their grandparents grandmother and grandfather. A bit too formal for me, but it was cute when they were really little.

meldan98
09-08-2009, 02:09 PM
My DD5 calls her grandparents grandma and grandpa with their last names. My grandparents are still alive and my grandmother asked to be called GiGi (pronounced GEE-GEE) and my grandfather would refer to himself as Papa. Those might work in your situation.

kat70
09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
What a cute idea, to have something related to Disney! I haven't come up with anything that hasn't already been mentioned... we're Grammy & Grampy and my son-in-law's parents are Grandma & Grampa. The two grandsons sometimes get confused and switch names, but none of us mind. We're just tickled they are lucky enough to have TWO sets of grandparents to love them and that all of us get along so well. Our 1996 trip was actually an extended family gathering to celebrate our kids' 10th wedding anniversary... they honeymooned in WDW. So Wendi & Chris (the anniversary couple), Dan & Ryan (the grandsons, who are 10 and nearly 8 now), Dick & Ellen (Chris's folks), Roger and I, plus our daughter's close friend Kerry had a wonderful time in October 1996! Roger and I often took off on our own as we weren't interested in shopping or the thrill rides, but we also had plenty of together time.

It must be time to start renting any Disney flicks you don't own and pay attention to all of the names. You're sure to find one that you like... but don't expect the grandbaby will cooperate. They have a way of choosing their own special names for people they love!

tinksmom02
09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Christi, so funny! When my son was two, he couldn't say grandpa and it came out as Bebop, so that's he always called my husband's father. Amma (for Grandma) and Bebop. I thought he was the only Bebop. Nice to know there's another. :thumbsup:

Too funny! And here I thought BeBop was unusual!

Dakota Rose
09-08-2009, 09:19 PM
My mom didn't want to be Grandma either. So she's Grammy. DH's grandma was GG. Both very cute.

What about Flora?
Hm. How about Nani? As in Lilo's sister? It's similar to Nana, but means beautiful.

Tutu is cute too, though it's neither Disney or English. It's Hawaiian but I always thought it was sweet.

mickeys_princess_mom
09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
What about Flora?
Hm. How about Nani? As in Lilo's sister? It's similar to Nana, but means beautiful.

Thanks--sweet ideas, everybody! I'm still listening....Funny you struck on the Flora thing--I did look up Sleeping Beauty's Fairy Godmothers...I love them...Thought about the Fauna thing...

mickeys_princess_mom
09-08-2009, 10:38 PM

I like Mimi. My husband's grandmother was always Nonnie to the family, and I liked that, too. It's a good question. I'm not going to be a grandmother for awhile, I hope, but I do think about what the kids will call me then. Hard to come up with anything Disney-related, though, other than Nana. I know Maleficent and Ursula are not making the list of possibilities. ;)

Funny--I was laughing about the Maleficent thing, too--had crossed my mind as a "no";)
Mimi is on my list....

Kathy Jetson
09-08-2009, 10:58 PM
How about Mimzy sounds a little British and a little magical?

Disney Doll
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
You can decide what to call yourself, but so often kids come up with their own interpretation based on what they can pronounce and those names tend to stick. My MIL goes by Nonnie which has been easy for our son to say. My parents are just grandma and grandpa, but DS has considerably more trouble with those. Grandpa came out "gawcaw" at first. Now it's "gramagranpanellie" grandma, grandpa, & their dog Ellie. Hopefully he'll get better with the pronunciation with age.

Do check other languages. DH has a sister who goes by tia (Spanish) and I think that's much cuter than aunt.

DisneyDog
09-09-2009, 04:45 PM
DH and I both have parents who are divorced and remarried. And, until 2 years ago, my grandmother was still alive. So, we have grandparents galore. My DS7 has a MomMom, Grandma, Nana, and a Grammy. My grandmother was called Nanny. (My other grandmother was called Bubby, sometimes spelled Bubbe, which is yiddish.)

The grandfathers are Pops, PopPop and Zadie (also Yiddish) -- one of the grandmothers isn't married, so there's one less grandfather than grandmother.

nicster
09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
How about Maleficent? :malef:oops! Maybe not:blackcat:

Darbylew
09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I am a grandmother and my grandchildren call
me Nana. I love it. I think the dog in Peter Pan
is named Nana so there you go something
Disney. :mickey:
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP MARCH 2009 :thumbsup:
NEXT TRIP NOVEMBER 2009 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN
FUTURE TRIP SPRING 2010

mickeys_princess_mom
09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I am a grandmother and my grandchildren call
me Nana. I love it. I think the dog in Peter Pan
is named Nana so there you go something
Disney. :mickey:
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP MARCH 2009 :thumbsup:
NEXT TRIP NOVEMBER 2009 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN
FUTURE TRIP SPRING 2010

I thought of this, too, and love it, but unfortunately it's already taken by two other candidates....:(

DizNee143
09-11-2009, 08:12 AM
I thought of this, too, and love it, but unfortunately it's already taken by two other candidates....:(

what do you mean?

do you know how many people in this world go by nana instead of grandma or any other nickname for grandma in the world? if you like it go for it!!!! :mickey:

Cinderelley
09-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Well, if you don't want to share Nana, what about Nala? It is pretty close. Or Sarabi? She becomes a grandma in Lion King 2.

Hull-onian
09-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Ya know, I never thought of Nana the dog :puppy: in Peter Pan, I'm liking it.:thumbsup:

BedknobsandBroomsticks
09-18-2009, 07:00 PM
When I was pregnant with our first everyone was clamoring over the childs name, funny they never asked us. They all wanted to tell us what dead relative she/he should be named after. Then the grandparent naming began. I don't want to be this, I can't stand that...I couldn't believe my ears. The baby wasn't even born and they were up in arms over their "names". People are so darn funny. Step MIL didn't get her wish to not be grandma, they call her that anyway. My mom isn't grammy, DD named her "memom" and she ended up loving it. Great Grandma became GG. They funniest was when our son was little he couldn't say GG and it came out DooDoo!!! She was so mad and would let don't call me that, because all the kids loved it and called her DooDoo for about 2 years. My cousins call their Grandma DeeDee. I always thought that was so cute too and my kids now call her Aunt DeeDee. Good luck and happy hunting but the kiddos may end choosing for you.

mickeys_princess_mom
09-19-2009, 06:50 PM
When I was pregnant with our first everyone was clamoring over the childs name, funny they never asked us. They all wanted to tell us what dead relative she/he should be named after. Then the grandparent naming began. I don't want to be this, I can't stand that...I couldn't believe my ears. The baby wasn't even born and they were up in arms over their "names". People are so darn funny. Step MIL didn't get her wish to not be grandma, they call her that anyway. My mom isn't grammy, DD named her "memom" and she ended up loving it. Great Grandma became GG. They funniest was when our son was little he couldn't say GG and it came out DooDoo!!! She was so mad and would let don't call me that, because all the kids loved it and called her DooDoo for about 2 years. My cousins call their Grandma DeeDee. I always thought that was so cute too and my kids now call her Aunt DeeDee. Good luck and happy hunting but the kiddos may end choosing for you.
Nobody's up in arms here at all. It entertains me to thinks about it, and, since it seems the whole family (here) sort of starts calling you by the name, I see no reason why one can't guide the direction you'd like them to take. I'm sure the little ones will have a variation of the choice, which wouldn't bother me at all.

Jen C.
09-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Not sure if this is "disney like" at all, but when it's my turn down the road, I am requesting to be called Glamma instead of Grandma~ get it glamorous!! :D

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-22-2009, 08:36 PM
One of our dear neices Emma, calls my brother,(her granpa), Poppy and her grandma Granny.

She loves her Poppy like no other in this world!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Mickey'sGirl
09-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Not Disneyesque at all for the most part, but my Mom was Nana, my Dad is Grampy (British), my MinL is Gran (British) and my FinL is Opa (German). When and if I ever become a grandmother, I think I would like to be called "Oma".

On a Disney bend, what about Bo, as in Bo-Peep, or Merry (Short for Merriweather from Sleeping Beauty)

bouncer
09-22-2009, 09:23 PM
My parents are Nana (pron NONA not like banana) & Papa. In-laws have changed a bit as DS has gotten older. She was Ama now she's Grammy. He's primarily Pops. If he's being extra sweet he'll call for us like this: "oh Pop-si-boyyyy.." or "oh Maaama-girl" or "oh Daddddyy-boyyyy." They'll make up their own

Genie1953
09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Our grandchildren (ages 12 and 14) started out years ago calling us Maam Ma and Paap Pa. They called the other grandparents MeMa and PePa. Somewhere along the line they began calling us Gram Ma and PaPa which is funny because that is exactly what I called my grandparents (they passed away 20 years ago so it isn't like they ever heard me call them that). Anyway....not Disney related but thought I would share. How about Grandma Tink?....sort of Disney related.

mickeys_princess_mom
09-22-2009, 10:01 PM
How about Grandma Tink?....sort of Disney related.

Actually....I started off thinking I would go with simply "Tink"....Still haven't ruled it out.
My daughter's niece (2) was talking about Tinkerbell the other day, and called her "Tinka", which was kinda cute....
My DH will be "Pops"...We've known that for a long time...
Thanks for all the cute ideas...Keep em coming! :wave:

Mousefever
09-23-2009, 03:37 AM
I'm Gammy to my step-grandkids, and my husband is just Grandpa. My dad has always been Pop Pop to my son, and my dad's wife is Nana Carol.

Amy

garymacd
09-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I couldn't really think of any Disney grandmotherly names for you, but I was thinking about another dead movie mother who was so dearly loved and missed that her son saved a world with her name.

I just don't think there are too many grandmothers who would like to be called Moonchild (from "The Neverending Story")

Sorry. It's the best I could do.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-24-2009, 11:31 PM
The only Disney Grandma I could find was Elvira Coot. She is Donald Ducks Grandma and she raised him.
How about Pixie? We could always use more Pixie Dust in our lives!:thumbsup: Just a thought!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Grandma Duck
Elvira Coot, a fictional character from the Scrooge McDuck Universe. She is the grandmother of Donald Duck and Gladstone Gander as well as the Duck family matriach. In most stories she is simply referred to as Grandma Duck.
According to Keno Don Rosa she was born in 1855. Later she married Humperdink Duck and they had three children named Quackmore Duck (Donald Duck's father), Daphne Duck (Gladstone Gander's mother) and Eider Duck. In 1940, however, she was widowed with the death of her husband.

She raised Donald from infanthood and returned him to his parents at some later point. Her grandnephew Gus Goose came to live with her and helps her out sometimes. Grandma Duck also gets help from Gus and Jack, the two mice from Cinderella and usually arranges family gatherings.

In The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck it is shown that her father is Clinton Coot and her grandfather is Cornelius Coot and her brother is Casey Coot.

She is depicted as driving a Detroit Electric automobile.

mickeys_princess_mom
09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Grandma Duck
Elvira Coot, a fictional character from the Scrooge McDuck Universe. She is the grandmother of Donald Duck and Gladstone Gander as well as the Duck family matriach. In most stories she is simply referred to as Grandma Duck.
According to Keno Don Rosa she was born in 1855. Later she married Humperdink Duck and they had three children named Quackmore Duck (Donald Duck's father), Daphne Duck (Gladstone Gander's mother) and Eider Duck. In 1940, however, she was widowed with the death of her husband.

She raised Donald from infanthood and returned him to his parents at some later point. Her grandnephew Gus Goose came to live with her and helps her out sometimes. Grandma Duck also gets help from Gus and Jack, the two mice from Cinderella and usually arranges family gatherings.

In The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck it is shown that her father is Clinton Coot and her grandfather is Cornelius Coot and her brother is Casey Coot.

She is depicted as driving a Detroit Electric automobile.

:eek: Scrooge McDuck Universe?......The Pixie idea is cute.
:haha:Not feeling anything with "Coot" in it.....

mjaclyn
09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
My DD calls my grandmother GG, but that's for her great-grandmother. My father was very against being called 'grandpa' so my DD calls him 'Papa' and my FIL 'Poppi'. Here are the different names I've heard for grandma:

Grammy
Grams
Mama
Nana
Mimi
Nanny

Alligirl
10-05-2009, 10:32 PM
My cousins call their grandmother Honey! She decided many years ago with the first of many grand kids that she wanted to be called Honey. It is the cutest thing to hear the kids say "Hi Honey!" and that's what everyone calls her now.

garymacd
10-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I thought and thought after I answered this post before and finally came up with a Disney Grandmother name.

From Pocahontas, there is Grandmother Willow.

Septbride2002
10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Kanga - from Winnie the Pooh.
Eve - Wall-E
Dory - Finding Nemo
Merry - short for Merryweather (sleeping beauty)

I don't know why but I've always loved the name Meg for a grandmother - not sure why.

~Amanda

Janmac
10-25-2009, 05:38 PM
My cousin always called our grandmother Grand Mum. She calls her mother Mum. Grand Mum is kind of neat - and British - but it doesn't seem to roll off the tongue.

Our grandkids are several years apart. When the older ones were young they called me Oma for maybe a year or two but very soon began calling me Jan. DH was called Pa. Then the younger ones came along and Pa became Granddad and I was still Jan.

When my sister Kim became a grandma she didn't like the idea of being called grandma. Somehow we began referring to her as Grammy Kimmy but her granddaughter simply calls her Kim. She calls her other grandma Granny Marilyn.

Her mom called her great grandpa Frankie Doodle. Maybe my niece couldn't say Great grandpa Frank, we don't know now, years later. But pretty soon everyone in the family was calling him Frankie Doodle.

Our neighbors are Grandma and Pops.

Kids will call you what they want to, for sure. They're not disrespectful which is the important thing.

Jan

MissMaryPoppins
10-27-2009, 12:06 AM
We just called our Grandmother Granma. My cousin's kids call her Gigi which I think is pretty cute.