PDA

View Full Version : Russia??

rachel_future_candy_maker
09-07-2009, 06:43 PM
im planning on a trip to Russia sometime in the near future, possibly for graduation. has anyone ever been to russia, specifically Moscow-if so, is St. Petersburg better than Moscow, or should i visit both of the cities? been doing some research and haven't made up my mind yet...

:ccat:

dnickels
09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I can't provide any first-hand feedback, but I have friends who absolutely RAVE about St Petersburg.

Also want to commend you for going somewhere different! In a country where most choose the most Americanized foreign destinations they can (Australia, Cancun, etc) it's really really cool to see someone stepping outside the mainstream. :thumbsup:

DisneyOwl
09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I went to both Moscow and St. Petersburg in 2006, in August. Both are incredible cities with tons of history and culture. St. Petersburg is slightly more tourist friendly and probably has more sights, but Moscow is worth the time as well. If you have to choose, I would probably go to St. Petersburg, but do both if you can wing it. There are trains (long) and planes between the two cities that make the commute relatively easy.

The top sites in St. Petersburg are The Hermitage, Russian Museum, Peterhof, etc. There is nothing more incredible than standing on Red Square in Moscow, dining at the first McDonald's behind the iron curtain, and taking the super deep subway that does double duty as a bomb shelter. PM me if you would like some links to a few websites that I found useful, as well as travel guides.

NJGIRL
09-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I haven't been but my cousin was and said it was amazing.

I too am glad to see some fellow disney fans trying something different. The world is too big and there is too much to see to contain yourself to 50 square miles every year.

Aggie97
09-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I have not been, but my mother and sister went to St. Petersburg last summer and loved it. Their photos were amazing! They also visited Tallinn, Estonia, and Helsinki, Finland, on that trip. Whatever you decide, have a great time! :)