PDA

View Full Version : What solutions for ear pain on Airplane?

caryrae
09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
I have tried the earplane things and it doesn't seem to help and neither does gum. I remember reading somewhere on here a long time ago about taking a decongestant I think it was a couple days before the flight until the day of the flight, was that right? It seems to only hurt when we land not when we take off. Any other suggestions?

teambricker04
09-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Have you tried ear plugs??? There is a kind called EarPlanes that I found for my kids at the airport right before a flight and I know they make adult versions as well. They have a presure valve thingy in them and my son left them in the entire flight and said they helped. I think you could even try regular ear plugs as well, but I have only tried this one kind.

You can search EarPlanes and find different places to buy them.

Disney4us2
09-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi,
I use a decongestant before the flight. Just before landing, I chew some gum. It helps to keep the tubes (and ears) open. You can also pop you ears by holding your nose (keeping your mouth closed) and softly blowing to direct the air to your ears to equalize the pressure. Just don't blow too hard... you don't want to injure your ears, I learned this from working for an ENT. :nurse: It works well for me.

P.S. for infants, give them a bottle

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I think you take the decongestant about 1/2 hour before you actually get on the flight. I have a lot of problems with pressure upon landing so I make sure that I have something to drink and just keep sipping it as we are starting to descend. That helps me a lot. Or bring some kind of really chewy candy and let them eat that as you are landing. Gummy bears etc are pretty good. Anything that helps the swallowing action should work.

Strmchsr
09-05-2009, 10:02 PM
You can also pop you ears by holding your nose (keeping your mouth closed) and softly blowing to direct the air to your ears to equalize the pressure.

As a scuba diver they told us that, too, but I found a better (and safer) way to clear the ears is to hold the nose and swallow.

Also, decongestant does work to help clear things up, but only if you're having sinus issues already. It basically just dries up the sinus and makes it easier to equalize the pressure.

caryrae
09-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I may have try a combination of these. It wouldn't so bad but after landing my ears stay plugged for a while too which makes hard to hear. Our flight is about 3-3 1/2 hours, would I only need to take the decongestant just before take off or also why in the air too.

brian2000boston
09-05-2009, 10:35 PM
I would get pain, especially when preparing to land that would bring me to tears. It was terrible. I now use the EarPlanes and they work very well. They are at the pharmacy for a few dollars. Well worth it. They have a very small whole to slowl;y adjust the pressure. Once you get to cruising altitude you can remove them until it is time for descent and then you insert them until you are landed. When you insert make sure they have a good seal.

Good luck!

IamBelle
09-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I just came back on Tuesday and I have the same problem you do. My mom suggested Claatin, so I used a generic version four days before the trip and the day of the flight. I also chewed some gum during takeoff and landing. My ears were not blocked at all. Have a safe trip and have fun!

Checkers
09-06-2009, 03:57 PM
:mickey:My DD just returned from WDW and had terrible ear pain upon landing at MCO. On the way home she bought the EarPlanes in the airport and says she will never fly without them, they are great.

debandbub
09-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I have too many "ear issues" to go into here, and flying (especially taking off and landing) has always felt as though icepicks were being inserted through my ears (pleasant, I know) My doctor actually suggested using a spray nasal decongestant starting about three days before the flight. IT WORKS! I did that, also, I bought the biggest bottle of water I could find in the terminal after we were screened through security and CHUGGED it as we were landing (my most painful time). That, combined with the gum/hard candy, etc. really helped me. Hope it helps you as well- I really feel for ya!

mamasun
09-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I had a doctor that used to work with fighter pilots tell me that nose spray such as Afrin is a trick they use all the time- it opens everything up. The whole family tried it on our last trip and it worked wonders! We all sprayed each nostril after we got through security and we were good to go:)