PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Weekend

Cinderelley
09-05-2009, 07:39 AM
A group of us at work are considering heading to Disneyland for Superbowl Weekend - probably Fri - Mon. We would be watching the game at ESPN zone. Has anyone watched the big game there? Any tidbits of wisdom you can throw out there?

NotaGeek
09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
If you can manage to get a table or bar space you can indeed watch the game at ESPN zone ... but it is ridiculously busy and they do not take reservations in the evenings or during big games, or in the bar. Good luck.

Cinderelley
09-06-2009, 03:19 AM
If you can manage to get a table or bar space you can indeed watch the game at ESPN zone ... but it is ridiculously busy and they do not take reservations in the evenings or during big games, or in the bar. Good luck.

How early before the game do you think we would need to get there?

NotaGeek
09-06-2009, 12:11 PM
People get there HOURS before to get a place and start drinking, I have never set aside time in my vacation to watch any TV, but I have happened into the ESPN Zone to try and eat and it was a madhouse with 2 hour waits for the restaurant.

Cinderelley
09-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Wow! Any other places you can suggest?

BrerGnat
09-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Also, be aware, during special sporting events, ESPN enforces a $10 per person/per hour/per table MINIMUM food/beverage requirement. I would guess, during the SUPER BOWL, they may raise the minimum to $15 per person. So, you can't just park yourself down at a table and watch the game without spending some serious money. IF you can manage to snag a seat in the "tiny" bar, you don't have to pay that premium, but if you are there to eat, you have to spend the minimum per person, per hour that you are there. Just so you know. They do this for virtually EVERY "sort of" important sports game that they broadcast.

They WILL broadcast the game on the jumbo screen outdoors, though. So, you can see it there.

Otherwise, some other options would be any of the bars/lounges at the DLR hotels (they all have LCD televisions. The Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian is the nicest one. Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen has a television in the bar area as well, I believe. Otherwise, to be really honest, the DLR is NOT the best place to watch the super bowl. There are probably many other sports bars in the area that are far better options.

Cinderelley
09-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Also, be aware, during special sporting events, ESPN enforces a $10 per person/per hour/per table MINIMUM food/beverage requirement. I would guess, during the SUPER BOWL, they may raise the minimum to $15 per person. So, you can't just park yourself down at a table and watch the game without spending some serious money. IF you can manage to snag a seat in the "tiny" bar, you don't have to pay that premium, but if you are there to eat, you have to spend the minimum per person, per hour that you are there. Just so you know. They do this for virtually EVERY "sort of" important sports game that they broadcast.

They WILL broadcast the game on the jumbo screen outdoors, though. So, you can see it there.

Otherwise, some other options would be any of the bars/lounges at the DLR hotels (they all have LCD televisions. The Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian is the nicest one. Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen has a television in the bar area as well, I believe. Otherwise, to be really honest, the DLR is NOT the best place to watch the super bowl. There are probably many other sports bars in the area that are far better options.

The $ minimum probably isn't a big problem, but are the other sports bars within walking distance? We'll have a fairly good sized group and I don't want to have to worry about designated drivers for all of them. We might switch it to a different weekend in February and have a Super Bowl party here instead.

BrerGnat
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
No the other sports bars in the area aren't really in walking distance. Cabs are an option though. Honestly, if the game is THAT important to your group, watch it at home and have your own party. With a big group, it will be even harder to get into ESPN ZONE and if you would end up disappointed if you missed the game or had to watch it on a tiny tv in your hotel room, you'd be better off at home.