PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: DM's Wife agrees to August Vaction

darthmacho
09-04-2009, 05:23 PM
The good news is that I finally got around to discussing when to plan our WDW trip for 2010. I had been researching and came to the conclusion that unless we take the kids out of school, which we'd rather not do, we'd have to go during February or April Vacation, August, or Thanksgiving. I ruled out February as too soon and Thanksgiving as too far and too hectic, and my hopes for April were dashed by the ridiculous April prices and likely large crowds that hit Disney during this time. I was seeing airline fares for $1500+ per person during my research, and I tell you, I cringe at the thought of paying that for FOUR tickets, never mind one.
Therefore, I was convinced that the best time for us to go would be late August, before our kids start school, but when the WDW prices hit Value Season and the crowds are thinning out. My only worry was that the crippling heat and the increased potential of hurricanes would make my wife balk at the idea. (We went in 2003 and the heat was pretty bad.)
Well to make a long story short (oops, too late) she agreed, and as a bonus, she agreed that a longer trip with a slower pace would beneit us in getting things fit in at a leisurely pace.
Now we are hoping for relative bargains on room, airefare, and park tickets, while crossing our fingers, yet not banking on, the hope that WDW will once again offer free dining during the value season next year.
In any case, we tenatively agreed on a 10 day trip, with parks every other day and a leisurely pace, and the option that we can split up if anyone can't keep up! Now I'm excited and in the early stages of comparison shopping for packages with Disney, AAA, or other sources. I'm considering giving Magical Journeys a call soon, since so many here have raved about it, and it doesn't hurt to ask. I've tracked airline fares as far as July of next year and anticipate August flights to be popping up any time now. Of course, I'll be coming here for advice and to share my trip planning progress as I go. I'm thankful for this community of crazy people that are as obsessed with this vacation destination as I am. I'll post again soon! :muscles:

buzznwoodysmom
09-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Sounds like a great plan. We once vowed to never visit WDW anytime in the summer again, but gave in this year and took a trip in June. What we found worked best to avoid the heat was sleeping in, swimming at the resort most of the day, having a nice table service dinner early (5ish) and hitting the parks in the evening staying for EMH. It worked wonderfully. We were never in the parks during the hottest part of the day and even the crowds weren't as bad in the evenings. I figure most people arrived at park opening, were exhausted from the heat and headed back to their resorts earlier than planned. We were still able to do everything we wanted in all the parks, and no one was ever tired or grumpy. All in all it made for a wonderful, although different, WDW trip. I hope you have as much fun next Aug. as we had this June.

DisneyWhirled
09-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Sounds like a plan!

This year, Free Dining started 8/16, so maybe you will luck out!!!

Donald
09-04-2009, 07:40 PM
A whole year to plan!! Yeah!! Have fun:thumbsup: