PDA

View Full Version : Safe to leave a laptop?

baldburke
09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I was wondering if it is safe for us to leave our laptop in the room during the day? I am imagining it is fine, but I'd hate to tempt fate. It is a small laptop that I plan to bring in my carry on, but that carry on is also the bag we carry around the parks. Thanks!

SurferStitch
09-04-2009, 10:47 AM
We've always left ours sitting out on the table in the room, and never had a problem.

If you're uncomfortable doing that, then just put it in the safe (even laptops fit in the value and mod safes), or lock it in a suitcase. Out of sight, out of mind.

MNNHFLTX
09-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Personally, I would feel okay about leaving my laptop out. But my husband is not so trusting and prefers to put it in the suitcase. If your laptop is small enough, you can even put it in the in-room safe.

barnaby
09-04-2009, 12:23 PM
We brought our laptop last trip and didn't have any probelms leaving it in the room.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
We've brought our laptop on a number of trips and have never had any issues.

We don't leave it out on the table or anything, but in its case, and its never even been moved!

Seasonscraps
09-04-2009, 12:39 PM
It should be fine. I will leave it out unless our room is on the ground floor, in which case I put it someplace that you can't see from outside.

SBETigg
09-04-2009, 12:44 PM
The risk is small but it is a risk. People have had things stolen from even Disney hotels. My husband usually tucks his in a drawer under some clothes and we've never had a problem. Sometimes, he has even left it out. But best to keep in mind that there's always a risk involved when you're bringing your stuff and leaving it in a room without you. Yes, it should be safe- but things happen.

JPL
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I have left my laptop setup on the table and never put it away. My only problem were the towel animals using it while I was gone ;)

Laptop Problem (http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x22/JPLIntercot/WDW%20January%202008/?action=view&current=677.jpg)

r4kids
09-04-2009, 01:18 PM
We also have brought our laptop to download pics from the day and never had a problem.

Granny Jill A
09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Tuck it out of sight when you're not in the room. I've noticed that sometimes the Mousekeepers prop the doors open and then go into the bathroom to clean. Someone walking by can pop in and out without being seen, and there is no point in tempting fate.

Aggie97
09-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Tuck it out of sight when you're not in the room. I've noticed that sometimes the Mousekeepers prop the doors open and then go into the bathroom to clean. Someone walking by can pop in and out without being seen, and there is no point in tempting fate.

We have seen this so many times, as well as housekeepers leaving an open room entirely to get something from a nearby room, or to go down the hall for supplies. We've had a clear view of other guests' unattended laptops, cameras, etc. We always comment on how easy it would be for someone to take these items.

I definitely would not leave out a laptop (or anything else of value) in a hotel room, at WDW or elsewhere. If something does not fit inside the room safe, we place it inside a locked suitcase. :mickey:

javamama
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
I think you'll be fine leaving it also, I'd just keep it outta plain view since the doors are propped open for cleaning and guest walk past throughout the day.

baldburke
09-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone...16 hours and counting!

Pally
09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
My son brought his laptop on our recent trip. Had too much fun. Did not use it once! Did not worry about it being left in our room but did leave it in its case. I don't think most laptops would fit into POP Century's safe. They are not very deep or large.:mickey:

VWL Mom
09-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I have left my laptop setup on the table and never put it away. My only problem were the towel animals using it while I was gone ;)

Laptop Problem (http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x22/JPLIntercot/WDW%20January%202008/?action=view&current=677.jpg)

"Crafty" little guys, aren't they. :mickey:

Marceline
09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
We brought ours and left it on the table in the room the whole time. I guess I just naively trust my fellow Disney goer and Mousekeepers. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm not trusting so I'd lock it in my suitcase.

Tippy
09-05-2009, 08:52 AM
We bring ours so the girls can watch a movie in the afternoon after swimming to calm down so they will rest a bit. My husband also uses it for work. We bring a lock for our suitcase & just lock it up when out of the room.

Speedy1998
09-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I would say yes, I once left the in-room safe open with $600 in cash in it. All the money was there when we got back that night.

Mousemates
09-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Since, no room is completely secure and there are bad people in the world, I think the better question to ask is "what is safest." As you can tell by the responses most of the time you can leave money, jewelry and laptops laying around the room and the generally responsible and very honest mousekeepers/maintenance staff will leave it alone and all will be well when you get back from a day in the parks.

The difficulties only happen when you get an occasional opportunistic rogue mousekeeper or other nefarious type who is open to the temptation of an easy grab. This likely only happens with an extremely low frequency rate...however it does happen from time to time.

In those cases, doing such things as

1) putting them out of sight to prevent a quick grab from a door left ajar

2.)securing them in a lockable suitcase (better)

3.) locking them away in the room safe (Best?)

will make you less likely to suffer loss in those instances where your possessions and dishonest people might cross paths.

TheRustyScupper
09-05-2009, 02:33 PM
The difficulties only happen when you get an occasional opportunistic rogue mousekeeper or other nefarious type who is open to the temptation of an easy grab.

1) Unfortunately, rooms are left open during cleaning.
. . . maids leave the door open for quick access to their carts
. . . some resorts have a "sheet" crew who clears sheets and towels
2) These open doors are an invite to passers-by.
3) If they can make a quick snatch, so be it.
4) Just keep the laptop in luggage or a drawer.
5) We keep valuables in the safety deposit box, but other stuff in the room.

NOTE: We tote a garbage bag with us to WDW, and put dirty clothes inside. We also use this to store souvenirs. NO ONE goes into a dirty-laundry bag looking for anything. (Unless they REALLY need a spare set of dirty sweat socks.)

brownie
09-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Leave it at home if you can get away without using your laptop on the trip. If I had to bring it with my laptop with me and I had a vehicle, I'd probably lock it in the trunk while I'm away from my room. If I had to leave it in the room, I would put it away while I was gone from the room.

No matter what you do, make sure you enable passwords for all users on the laptop. Backup your data in another place in case the laptop disappears. If you have sensitive data on the laptop, remove it or encrypt it. If you have passwords saved in your browser, I would consider protecting them in some manner also (Firefox allows you to create a master password for your saved passwords; I don't know about the other browsers.)

lindique
09-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't recommend locking a computer in the trunk in Florida - it might be damaged by the extreme heat.

You can get a cable lock that will allow you to attach the laptop to a large object or lock it in your suitcase.

Netbooks will fit in the lockers.

kemps@wdw
09-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't assume it is. Our laptop wasn't even safe from our car to the luggage storage area, and "mysteriously" disappeared before our luggage was brought to our room!:mad:

johnO
09-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Not worth the risk of being careless. Would you leave your car door unlocked in your driveway? Just remember, it's the people who leave their laptops sitting out that have them stolen, not the people who lock them up in a car, safe, suitcase etc...

Tigerinvestigator
09-09-2009, 01:59 AM
One other hint. Make sure if you leave your laptops in your room that you have it turned off with a password to get into it. While I trust Disney more than any other company in the world, why tempt anyone. It is so easy to download everything to a travel drive and steal your identity. Sixteen years in law enforcement has shown me criminals will try anything.:thumbsup: