PDA

View Full Version : A way for Disney to accommodate character dining haters.

luvmyboys4ever
09-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I was just thinking...uh-oh...lol! What if hosts started asking guests if they would like a visit from the characters? If they do great, but if they don't they could put something on the table to let the characters know to stay away. Something like those plastic tents that have your order number on them at Chuckie Cheese, so the waiter can find your table while you are running around with the kids. It doesn't have to be something so large that it draws attention...just enough so the characters get the message and move on. The customer would be able to eat without having to stop to tell them no thank you, and the characters would have more time to visit people who want to see them.
For the record...I would never have one on my table! I would want them there even if I was 90 years old!

BMan62
09-04-2009, 10:27 AM
It's even easier -- if you don't want character interaction, don't book a character meal.

baldburke
09-04-2009, 10:29 AM
It's even easier -- if you don't want character interaction, don't book a character meal.

My thoughts as well. You wouldn't go to a dinner show if you expected to have a good conversation!

luvmyboys4ever
09-04-2009, 10:37 AM

I would normally agree, but what if a person really likes the food but not the interaction? It's not like accommodating another customer would bother my meal.

EeyoresBestFriend
09-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I have to wade in on this one.

I am one of those people that are terrified of characters. Weird, yes and, no, I have no idea where it comes from, but just as bad as claustrophobia or any other fears. I have gone to the Royal Table and although it was very entertaining for the people at my table ~ it wasn't alot of fun for me. I do avoid them if I can, but when travelling with a bunch of people ~ sometimes you can't avoid it. I am going to try and stay in an inaccessible spot of the table and keep my head down if they come near. My DH is very helpful in 'protecting' me!

If given a choice, I will not go to those meals. If I do go, I think it's up to me to save myself. :D

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-04-2009, 12:35 PM
We've been at a number of character meals where it was obvious that a table wasn't interested in the characters.

We were actually pretty impressed, the characters and the handlers seemed to figure it out pretty quickly and just give the table a quick wave on the way by.

Seasonscraps
09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
We've been at a number of character meals where it was obvious that a table wasn't interested in the characters.

We were actually pretty impressed, the characters and the handlers seemed to figure it out pretty quickly and just give the table a quick wave on the way by.

This has been my experience as well - for both character meals & interactive places like WCC & Prime Time Cafe.

prttynpnk
09-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Maybe they can print little pictures of Pooh with red 'x's thru them for not participants....:unsure:

gerald72
09-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Said perfectly. No Brainer.

SBETigg
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I think there have to be so few people who do not want character interaction that go to character meals that there's really no need to devise a system. It's easy enough to verbally express that you're not into it, and they're very understanding.

ransam
09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
for one thing, being at Disney, you have to expect some sort of character interaction.

but i do like the idea of a small placemat, or something if you don't want your meal disturbed.

Granny Jill A
09-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I would normally agree, but what if a person really likes the food but not the interaction? It's not like accommodating another customer would bother my meal.

Good point. I love watching others enjoy the characters, but I'm not into that much myself. I also enjoy going to some places just for the food.

I do believe the characters are very understanding and can "read" people pretty well.

Goes4FastPass
09-04-2009, 02:23 PM
The characters respond to you - a quick wave and they're gone. If 'quick wave' is more than you're willing to do then you probably booked the wrong meal.

But you can always book LTT where you can experience the Disney Magic of factory made mac and cheese with characters.