PDA

View Full Version : How flexible are ADR times?

Baloo Da Man!
09-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I will be attending a convention in Orlando (staying at Poly) in Nov. Just me and DW!

The dilemma: I have a 5:55 ADR at California Grille. However, that night I am supposed to be at a conference session at the Orlando Convention Center until 6:00. I assume it takes 30 minutes by the conference shuttle bus to get me from the Convention Center to the CR, and I am more than willing to leave a little early. I tried to get a later ADR, but that is all they had.

Query: If my DW were to show up at 5:55, would they allow her to seat at 6:30-6:40 when I get there?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

brian2000boston
09-03-2009, 03:56 PM
not sure other peoples experiences but, we were 30 min late for an adr before because we couldnt find it, they were very flexible with us. We had to wait a good 20 minutes extra for a table but they helped us out. I would assume most would be but that probably shouldnt be counted on just in case. I would keep calling and try to move it to 7pm. if you can't, then it cant hurt to try!

TheRustyScupper
09-03-2009, 04:21 PM
ADR Times and Tardiness:

1) WDW advises you to be at the ADR 15-minutes early.
2) You are expected to meet your ADR time, just like any other appointment.
3) Being on-time is your responsibility, not that of WDW.
4) If late, they can cancel the ADR.
5) Under normal conditions, they can allow up to a 15-minutes lateness.
6) If really busy, like during Free Dining or Holidays, there is no Grace Period.
7) If you miss the ADR, you *might* have the ability to wait for a table.
8) For waiting times, there is no estimate, and waits of 1-1½ hrs is common.
9) They also have the option of canceling and just sending you away.

NOTE: All these options are at the discretion of the CM's on duty at the time the hostess podium. So, the hint is be VERY pleasant if you show up during the 15-minute last period.

TheRustyScupper
09-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I tried to get a later ADR, but that is all they had.
. . . CG is always crowded
. . . they usually cancel the ADR
. . . if they allowed late comers, the ADR's all night would be pushed back
. . . this would be rude to all the other diners who were on time

If my DW were to show up at 5:55, would they allow her to seat at 6:30-6:40 when I get there?
. . . usually all members of the party must be present to be seated
. . . if not, you would order after all are there
. . . this increases the time you are at the table
. . . thus, reducing the number of turns of the table per night
. . . thus, lower revenue for the night
. . . restaurants (and waiters for their tips) don't like that
. . . but, would they allow her to wait and both get seated at 6:40pm?
. . . don't know
. . . it is a gamble, and you might be out of an ADR

Any other ideas?
. . . try another eatery if nothing available at CG

Goes4FastPass
09-03-2009, 04:27 PM
ADR Times and Tardiness:

1) WDW advises you to be at the ADR 15-minutes early.
2) You are expected to meet your ADR time, just like any other appointment.
3) Being on-time is your responsibility, not that of WDW.
4) If late, they can cancel the ADR.
5) Under normal conditions, they can allow up to a 15-minutes lateness.
6) If really busy, like during Free Dining or Holidays, there is no Grace Period.
7) If you miss the ADR, you *might* have the ability to wait for a table.
8) For waiting times, there is no estimate, and waits of 1-1½ hrs is common.
9) They also have the option of canceling and just sending you away.

NOTE: All these options are at the discretion of the CM's on duty at the time the hostess podium. So, the hint is be VERY pleasant if you show up during the 15-minute last period.

1. This is all probably true
2. But very negative
3. So I have to be VERY plesant
4. And hope the CM kid hostess
5. Didn't have a fight with her boyfriend
6. Before coming to work

TheRustyScupper
09-03-2009, 05:00 PM
1. This is all probably true
2. But very negative
3. So I have to be VERY plesant
4. And hope the CM kid hostess
5. Didn't have a fight with her boyfriend
6. Before coming to work

1) Could make all the difference in the world.
2) Of course, going to the podium on all fours might help.
3) Having a rose between your teeth is also a nice touch.
:)

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2009, 05:03 PM
We've only been late to an ADR once because of transportation. We gave ourselves an hour to arrive, but we still didn't arrive in time. We ended up being around 10-15 minutes late and were seated with no problems.

However, being late because of unforseen reasons is different than being late because you knowinly made an ADR that you wouldn't be able to arrive promptly for, but made it anyway. I just wouldn't make an ADR that I knew I'd be as late as 30-40 minutes for. I'd find another place with a time that would better match our schedule. Its unfair to those who are looking for an ADR at that time and can't get it, and then you show up late and can't be seated. That ADR could have gone to someone who could have used it. To me its the same thing as making my kids an appointment for 2:30, when I know they don't get off of school till 2:45 and also know its going to take us a good 30 minutes to get there. That's something I wouldn't do, but maybe that's just me.:shrug: Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean manners go out the window.

brian2000boston
09-03-2009, 05:26 PM
and if all else fails, cry, crawl, beg, and slip them a $20 bill. LOL

Goes4FastPass
09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
There's another side to this. I drag my gang off Splash Mountain or out of the pool to get them to the ADR on time, spit-spot, pressed and dressed... and then we wait while the people who were late for their ADRs are accomodated.

Let's all do our best.

Have a plesant ride home. Don't forget to tip your servers.

MonoMan
09-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Last time we dined a CG (Feb 2009) they would not take us up until all of our party arrived. Once we all arrived we were allowed to go up and wait in the lounge area until our table was ready. The CG is a must do for us and each and every time the place is packed so I think they must have a pretty good system in place to keep things moving and all the guests happy. If you already know you're going to be late I would change your ADR to a later time so you don't risk the chance of not getting to dine there.

SBETigg
09-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes, some places are accommodating and take transportation issues or understandable delays as reasonable excuses and still seat you (which is great! Thank goodness for understanding CMs). But is it really reasonable to know you're going to show up at least half hour late for an ADR and still expect a seat? I wouldn't do it. Not to say that you can't, but you are taking a big chance to plan for it.

Especially at CG. I'm not sure they will do it. I've been turned away from a late ADR at Biergarten, of all places, due to hotel check in issues. (I called ahead and said I would be late. They offered me a later ADR instead- we went back in two hours). I would say that I'm sorry you're going to miss CG, one of my favorites, but you should try making an ADR elsewhere at a time that you can actually make. Or maybe someone will cancel- keep trying back. Also, they do have limited walk-in seating at the bar. If you're willing to eat at the bar, your wife could show up at her convenience, get an appetizer, have a drink, and save a seat for you. You can order regular menu food at the bar as long as they have seating. Worth a try maybe? Best wishes with it!

LudwigVonDrake
09-06-2009, 03:55 PM
In July we were about a half hour late for the 50s Prime Time because of the line at TSM - we believed the time posted :laughing: - anyway they were very nice about it and we waited less than 10 minutes and we got our table. You shouldn't have a problem but don't plan on it happening EVERY time.

J9
09-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Along the same lines - how flexible are they about the number of guests on the reservation?

We had 5 people going originally and scheduled our meals for that many. Now two people pulled out and there's only 3 of us. We're trying to find another 2, but it's not looking good. We can't re-book the ADRs because everything we have for 5 is not available for 3 (or at all in the case of LeCellier and Chef Mickey's)

Do you think have 3 instead of 5 will be a problem when we show up?