PDA

View Full Version : Another set of Kouzzina reviews

ElenitaB
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Just got back from WDW yesterday and am gathering my thoughts about our trip. I did want to share our impressions of Kouzzina.

I'll start by saying that we ended up going three times (and if I had my druthers and the time, it would have been four). I was very impressed by the menu and the service. Without further ado...

We ditched Wolfgang Puck Café to visit Kouzzina for the first time Tuesday evening. We started with the goat cheese-stuffed grape leaf. This was very different from what I expected but very good nonetheless. It was definitely an appetizer that represented "truth in advertising" and was indeed a grilled grape leaf stuffed with a nice portion of delicious herbed goat cheese. The plate was accompanied two slices of olive toast and a lightly-dressed green salad. It took an inordinately long time to come to the table, which I attributed to the newness of the restaurant. (BTW, many of the CMs are legacy Spoodles CMs.)

For our entrees, I chose the Fisherman's Stew and my DS-13 predicatably ordered the Lamb Burger. The entrees arrived much quicker than our appetizer but instead of the lamb burger, a plate of lamb shank arrived. We were chatting with Chef Dee when the entrees arrived at our table. I explained to the CM that this was not what my DS had ordered and Chef Dee warned us that the lamb burger was very spicy and that he would probably be happier with something else. He took a taste of my Fisherman's Stew and immediately ordered that instead. I've made both boullabaisse and cioppino. I now hang my head in shame. Kouzzina's Fisherman's Stew (http://benellen.smugmug.com/photos/636239940_TBXDC-L.jpg) put them to shame. The shrimp and scallops were perfectly cooked, the stew part of the dish had a beautiful consistency and flavor. The serving was generous. Also worth noting was the bread. It was a whole grain bread served with a nice slab of not-rockhard butter (why do so many WDW restaurants serve better straight from the fridge?) sprinkled with black sea salt. Honestly, it was great bread. I asked Chef Dee for the recipe and she explained that it was made in the Boardwalk Bakery, giving her a nice way to say "no dice." ;)

By the time we were done, we were way too full to consider dessert so we asked for it to go. I got the Loukoumades, which are light and airy donuts drizzled in honey. They were served with two dishes of sauce: one raspberry and one a vanilla custard. My DS said he wasn't interested in dessert at all, so I ordered the baklava (sans the pistachio gelato) in order to give it to a friend (I felt badly that I hadn't brought her baklava from here in NYC). The loukoumades didn't make it out of the restaurant as we both succumbed to temptation. They provided a nice, light sweet treat to cap what was a wonderful meal.

There were some service and kitchen snafus, but nothing that couldn't be easily overcome and certainly nothing that would stop us from visiting again (and again).

ElenitaB
09-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Dinner was such a success that I just had to visit Kouzzina for breakfast as well. We were on the Dining Plan (I forgot to mention that they accept the DDP even during their soft opening), but I decided that breakfast would be OOP, and happily they offer DVC members the same discount that Spoodles offered for breakfast.

Breakfast was a much quieter time and there was no need to make reservations. We had a clear view of the kitchen (http://benellen.smugmug.com/photos/636240239_bpbs7-L.jpg) from our booth in the corner of the restaurant.

We were accompanied by a young friend and made it to the dining room around 9:00. There were so many things on the menu I wanted to try and flavor combinations that I already like (red peppers, spinach and feta, for example). I asked our hostess and our CM for their recommendation and they were unanimous in suggesting the turkey-sweet potato hash. I had considered it but the recommendations finished pushing me in that direction. My DS chose the "stacked breakfast" and our friend chose the waffles. The turkey-sweet potato hash (http://benellen.smugmug.com/photos/636240009_4NGMV-L.jpg) was served with two poached eggs and an arugula salad. The hash consisted of cubed roasted turkey, diced sweet potato, diced red peppers and onions; it was well seasoned and not heavy at all. The salad (not something I've ever eaten at breakfast) provided a nice counterpart to the sweetness of the sweet potato (which really wasn't overwhelming to begin with).

The two large waffles (http://benellen.smugmug.com/photos/636240551_tLNTN-L.jpg) were served with a large scoop of mascarpone cheese, honey, and chopped pecans, and the normal maple syrup (which was warm, providing a nice touch). It also came with a choice of breakfast meats (bacon or chicken sausage). Our friend gave the waffles a 9-1/2, saying that butter would have brought the dish to a 10 (it was on the table but he was being terribly polite and not touching what he thought was my DS's butter).

My DS ordered the "stacked breakfast (http://benellen.smugmug.com/photos/636240382_32YiF-L.jpg)" which consisted of the sweet potato hash, two poached eggs (though they would have substituted another type of egg), olive toast, artichoke spread, and a choice of breakfast meat. I thought that this was the winner of the three meals before us: there was a nice contrast of savory and sweet, crunchy and smooth. The bottom line, however, was that none of us had a meal that can be considered a "loser" by any stretch of the imagination. And this breakfast experience left me wanting to try other options on the breakfast menu (well, to be honest, one other option in particular, namely the blueberry orange granola pancakes).

GrumpyFan
09-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the review(s) and so glad to hear that Kouzzina is a great replacement for Spoodles. Can't wait to try it on our next visit.

ElenitaB
09-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I wanted to mention here that, as another poster mentioned, they had run out of Cat Cora's wines and Greek beers. Chef Dee explained that they hadn't expected so many patrons during their soft opening at all. Both times we went for dinner, there were no empty tables. However, between our first visit on Tuesday and our second visit for dinner on Saturday, they had received a new shipment of beer and wine.

We originally had reservations at Garden Grill for dinner Saturday night but another family we were travelling with also wanted a second visit and a third family in our group wanted a first try. The only reservation we could get was for 5:05. Even at that early hour, Kouzzina was packed. We were seated after a short wait and everyone was once again faced with a difficult choice. Like the breakfast menu, the dinner menu offers a multitude of things that I, for one, would like to try. I started my meal with the "Kouzzina spreads": a harissa-laced yogurt, a fig spread, and hummus, served with a few olives, a pepperocini pepper and grilled pita. To quote Stacey, the choices were yummy, yummy and yummy!

Others at the table chose "Spiro's Greek Salad" which featured a very generous hunk of feta cheese (I would definitely order this next time we're there), the calamari which were devoured by the 12-14 year old set, and the Kouzzina Sampler which consisted of olives, spiced cashews (which were excluded due to an allergy), dolmades (i.e., stuffed grape leaves), tzatziki, hummus, grilled pita with skewers of prawns and sesame lamb meatballs (chicken skewers were also available).

For the main event, several of us chose the "traditional pan-roasted whole fish" which on Saturday was snapper. It was served with greens, Greek olives, fennel and was lightly seasoned with chili. It was done perfectly! Others at the table chose the pork T-bone; the flank steak; the pastitsio (which consists of three distinct layers: seasoned, stewed ground meat, pasta and a cheesy Bechamel); the lamb shank served with stewed gigante beans, and the lamb burger. I also had ordered a side dish of roasted potatoes which are baby potatoes cooked three times: parboiled, roasted and then flash-fried right before serving with salt and garlic. Everything was devoured except for the lamb burger which comes with a nice slather of the same harissa yogurt as my appetizer (it was very spicy) as well as the meat being seasoned with harissa. My DS was unable to eat it and our server was nice enough to substitute a different entree (he chose the Fisherman's Stew again). Sorry, we didn't take pictures... we were all too intent on getting to our food! :eat:

There was room for dessert this time around though... I ordered the loukamades again (I didn't get too many the first time around); others ordered the molten chocolate cake, Greek cookies, galaktoboureko (a custard baked in a phyllo crust), and baklava.

There was a young one with us. The kid's menu offers a few choices, including pasta with meat sauce, fish, grilled chicken and cheese pizza. They were very accomodating and prepared the pasta plain for the youngest member of our party.

I very much enjoyed our meals at Kouzzina and sincerely hope that the choices are not "dumbed down" in the future. I'm looking forward to many future visits to Cat Cora's entry to the WDW dining scene.

wildernesslady
09-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the great review. I'm traveling with friends in Dec. and we are looking forward to trying it.

SBETigg
09-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Ellen, thanks for the review. I consider it a pretty weighty recommendation because I know you have incredible ethnic, greek and mediterranean among others, restaurants all around you at home. It goes on my must-try list. And wow, those waffles look so good just about now. ;)

hoop de do
09-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for making me hungry Ellen. Great review and we are anxious to try it on our October trip. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
09-01-2009, 09:28 AM
It sounds like we will have a hard time deciding what to eat when we go in October!!

I'm still a little worried about DS#2 though and what he'll eat (he's allergic to several proteins!)....I'm hoping they will be able to accommodate his "need for hummus"!

ElenitaB
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm still a little worried about DS#2 though and what he'll eat (he's allergic to several proteins!)....I'm hoping they will be able to accommodate his "need for hummus"!
After having seen Chef Dee in action fielding the needs of our two travelling companions with allergies, I think you can visit Kouzzina without worry!

tinksmom02
09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the great review, Ellen! I can't wait to try it!!

mouseketeer mom
09-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Ellen,
You sold me!! I wish I could get on a flight now....you're descriptions were divine!!! Thanks!:thumbsup:

TheVBs
09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
This sounds like a must-try. Thanks for the reviews!

wendy*darling
09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
To quote Stacey, the choices were yummy, yummy and yummy!
That sums it up nicely! :thumbsup:

I have been impressed with all of the good reviews I have been reading about Kouzzina. I was a little hesitant since I grew up with and cook foods similar to this cuisine (Armenian) and it's hard match "home cooking." But the menu does make my mouth water :eat: - and I have found a way to get this into our December schedule (Tokyo Dining will have to wait for another trip).

Thanks Ellen! Glad to hear it was such an outstanding experience!

Patricia
09-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I can't wait to try this restaurant.. I've been looking forward to it's opening. Thanks for the great review!

NotaGeek
09-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks for this review Ellen ... I am really looking forward to eating here in December! :chef:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Wow, that sounds like a great restaurant. I love Greek food, but don't know if I can talk my picky son into it....

Mackflava99
09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
i am so glad to hear good reviews-
I loved Spoodles and i bet i will love this too

dtootsie42
09-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks so very, very much for the great reviews. We will be there in Dec and it is the one place one of our daughters wants to try...I was not sure if I really wanted to go but now am really looking forward to an enjoyable evening.

Joy2theworld
09-23-2009, 11:00 PM
What would you recommend for a pickier eater? Seafood is a no go...

Mickey'sGirl
09-23-2009, 11:04 PM
The first time we ate there, my husband had the Flank Steak, and he said it was some of the best he's ever had. I had the Cinnamon Stewed Chicken, it was also very very good. I wouldn't consider either of these options exotic, and we both really enjoyed our meals.... so much so that we went back later in the week, and had more traditional fare (I had the Lamb Shank and DH had the pastitsio). They were also very good, but perhaps a bit too different for a picky eater. Enjoy!

Tinkermom
09-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the reviews Ellen! DH and I will be eating at Kouzzina in 2 1/2 weeks! Can't wait! Think I may have to try the Fisherman's Stew!:thumbsup: Can't wait for some yummy hummus too!

tinksmom02
09-26-2009, 04:22 PM
What would you recommend for a pickier eater? Seafood is a no go...

If the picky eater likes steak, the flank steak was awesome and not too exotic at all. My dad really enjoyed the T-Bone pork--he had it without the sauce because of dietary restrictions, so if your picky eater sees something s/he sort of likes, you can always ask for the sauce on the side, or not to have it at all!

pdrlkr
09-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the Review! :eat: