PDA

View Full Version : New Theme Park at WDW

Tippy
08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi - someone I work with told me today that WDW is adding an new park. They were just there 2 weeks ago but did not know the theme of the park. Has anyone else heard this as well?

BMan62
08-31-2009, 08:50 PM
This is one of the unfounded, unsubstantiated rumors going around. Do not expect it.

There are threads talking about many of the current rumors under the forum: News, Rumours & Imagineering

ransam
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
of course eventually there will be...
maybe someday...
not sure what i'd want it to be....interesting concept.

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't expect a 5th gate at WDW within the next decade, if ever. They're having enough issues with staffing the ones they have, and not to mention it'd be horrific trying to fit 5 parks equally into a vacation.

TheRustyScupper
09-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi - someone I work with told me today that WDW is adding an new park. They were just there 2 weeks ago but did not know the theme of the park. Has anyone else heard this as well?

1) Yes, I have heard about it.
2) The bus drivers are all talking about it. :cool:

Bri
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
When I was there in 2006 our bus driver was talking about a friend who cleaned the imagnineers offices and saw blueprints for a more thrill ride type park. Who knows though. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a park that can compete with the rides at Busch Gardens and Universal.

larjani
09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
How about a Marvel Comics based theme park? Funded from the sale of property to the Four Seasons resort?

TheRustyScupper
09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
How about a Marvel Comics based theme park? Funded from the sale of property to the Four Seasons resort?

1) Can't see a new park.
2) But, with Marvel I can see
. . . more characters in the parks
. . . FINALLY a boy's character meal with Super Heroes

BMan62
09-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Maybe they'll replace the Power Rangers with Marvel Superheroes???

Might as well speculate....

azcavalier
09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Maybe they'll replace the Power Rangers with Marvel Superheroes???

Might as well speculate....

Man I hope so. Maybe Power Rangers was just way after my time, but I always thought it was just stupid. Popular, though.

Mushu11756
09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
If Disney decides to pull all the Marvel Superhero's from Universal when the contract is up and build a new park based on that.... would that kill Universal? What would they have left? :secret:

KAJUNKING
09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
If Disney decides to pull all the Marvel Superhero's from Universal when the contract is up and build a new park based on that.... would that kill Universal? What would they have left? :secret:

harry potter

Mushu11756
09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I've heard about Harry Potter. How true is that and do you think they can survive on just harry potter? Disney should go after Lord of the Rings! That would be an adult park for sure.

Belster
09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
My vote is for Marvel World...my whole family would love the characters and possibly some character meals with those guys.

One of the most exciting times for me meeting a character was at Universal...I RAN up to Wolverine and hugged him....lol.

BIGDOG
09-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I was told by a very reliable source they are creating a park for older folks no kids amitted, near down town disney. It make no sense to me who would want to not go a park with out your grandchildren. It was suppose to be were pleasure Island is or was hope this is not true

DisneyFanaticDargon
09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
I've heard about Harry Potter. How true is that and do you think they can survive on just harry potter? Disney should go after Lord of the Rings! That would be an adult park for sure.

Harry Potter is QUITE true. For Universal. They're building it right now and it's supposed to open its first phase at the end of this year. Whether or not it can survive on Harry is a big topic that's been up for debate for some time.

BMan62
09-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I was told by a very reliable source they are creating a park for older folks no kids amitted, near down town disney. It make no sense to me who would want to not go a park with out your grandchildren. It was suppose to be were pleasure Island is or was hope this is not true

That rumor was debunked months ago. False.

Babyvett
09-03-2009, 01:54 AM
I know about 8 years ago, Disney indeed started buying property outside of Houston, Tx. They tried to buy alot of the extra land that the Renaissance festival is on in Planterville but the owners would not sell. Several months after the purchase, Houston papers got wind of the story and published with a quote supposedly from Disney stating that Disney did indeed have plans to build an additional theme park in the area, but that it would not be comparable to DW or DL. They said that it would be competitive with current parks in the area, which would most likely be Six Flags since there are three parks in Texas as well as a Sea World. I haven't heard anything else since then, nor have I seen any development of the land since it has been purchased, although i haven't been down there in a while now.

lockedoutlogic
09-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Disney announced its new park this morning...

...It's called Disney's Urouttayourmind Kingdom

You can't run a park without labor....and they have not enough to go around as is...

Snowgod
09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Maybe they have to cut the bonuses they pay the people at the top and actually pay people a living wage to work at WDW.:confused:

Polynesian Dweller
09-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Unfortunately for Marvel fans Disney can't pull them. As long as the attractions exist at Universal they can continue to use the characters. The contract also says that no other theme park east of the Mississipi can be licensed to use the characters. So, no Marvel park at WDW nor characters at DHS.

Could use them at California Adventure though.

BMan62
09-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately for Marvel fans Disney can't pull them. As long as the attractions exist at Universal they can continue to use the characters. The contract also says that no other theme park east of the Mississipi can be licensed to use the characters. So, no Marvel park at WDW nor characters at DHS.

Could use them at California Adventure though.

How much nit-picking is possible with this statement? I mean, does US have exclusive rights to ALL the Marvel characters to use east of the Mississippi or just those currently being used in the parks? That could leave a whole load of characters available for Disney use in FL.

Mousemates
09-03-2009, 10:22 PM
. . . FINALLY a boy's character meal with Super Heroes

:thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
09-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Maybe they have to cut the bonuses they pay the people at the top and actually pay people a living wage to work at WDW.:confused:

yes....you nailed both the problem and the only feasible solution....

But Disney is a publicly traded company and that is not how things work on wall street.

In disney's defense...they underpay pretty much everybody up and down the chain of command....there is a mandatory "disney legacy" pay cut.

But they screwed up their labor in Orlando long ago when they let the minimum wage catch the payrate, stripped away almost all privileges and benefits that made employees feel special, and because of the aforementioned two....abandaoned hiring standards in favor of cheap, non-descript, non-specialized, largely non-educated labor

Supercali
09-04-2009, 11:59 PM
From what I understand, the Marvel/Universal deal only covers the characters that are currently being used within the park. There are thousands more that Disney could use in their own parks. As for a fifth park, I've heard different rumors. I've heard that they do have one on the drawing boards, but that it is not going forward as of this time. I've also heard rumors about the Villain (Dark Kingdom) park may open in about 5 years. There is also a rumor about a World Showcase type park themed around the different states and sections of the U.S. Time will tell I guess.:thumbsup:

DisneyFanaticDargon
09-05-2009, 09:30 AM
That could leave a whole load of characters available for Disney use in FL.

Yeah but apart from the names US already uses (Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom) how many average guests, especially kids could really name any others? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Captain America, Iron Man, Ghost Rider, Silver Surfer, and Punisher. For over 5,000 characters in their roster, Marvel has quite a few obscure ones that most people except for the most learned of comic book fans will never have heard of. I don't think that would be enough to push a new park.

Supercali
09-05-2009, 12:36 PM
I think that the theme parks could be a great way to educate people about the other Marvel characters. Remember, Disney doesn't just do rides that are based on blockbuster movies. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Everest were all original stories. They used Jules Verne novels for the inspiration for Mysterious Island at DisneySea. Many people aren't familiar with the tales of Verne. With Marvel, Disney has thousands of original stories that they can base attractions on. Most people aren't even aware that some of their original attractions like Big Thunder Mountain have back stories, but they're still very popular.:thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
09-06-2009, 04:07 PM
It's not happening anytime soon.

SignguyTom
09-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Disney announced its new park this morning...

...It's called Disney's Urouttayourmind Kingdom

You can't run a park without labor....and they have not enough to go around as is...

Wow...With unemployment as it is, they can't find people to work the parks...????? Who knew...

Mousemates
09-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Wow...With unemployment as it is, they can't find people to work the parks...????? Who knew...

Just FYI Unemployment rate for July 2009 in Orange County was a bit over 10%...not sure they are having so much trouble filling slots right now...but when the economy improves and people can pick and choose a bit (wages wise) they do have some genuine difficulty in getting the best people.