PDA

View Full Version : ECV's at WDW

Carolanne
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone!

I hope someone out there can help me regarding ECV’s.

My mom & I are leaving for WDW in 20 days. My mom just finished chemo & radiation treatments for cancer (is having cancer-related surgery a few weeks after we get back from WDW). She’s still sort of feeling some effects from her treatment (tired, sometimes out of breath after walking).

She was considering renting an ECV from an ECV rental place while we’re in WDW (just in case), but decided against it because she couldn’t justify putting out the money (close to $200) for something she isn’t sure that she’ll need. She was thinking about taking it day by day & just renting one from WDW if the need came up, but now that we’re closer to the trip she isn’t sure (and I swear that I read on here before that it is possible for WDW to run out of ECV’s to rent).

ECV is new to us. So I guess my question is…those of you familiar with ECV’s in WDW, what do you suggest? Would you go ahead & get the scooter from an outside company so it’s there if she does need it, or should we just “wait & see” and (try to) rent one in the parks if she needs it?

Thanks!

Renfairwedding
08-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Park scotters run out early. So if your not a morning person you may have a wait. Scooters are also great for getting to and from the parks. After a long day a long walk back to the transportation is not fun. They do have basic wheel chairs to help.

Its also cheaper per day to rent from on outside company. they will have it waiting for you at the hotel check in.

Good luck and have fun!

Disney Doll
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
My mom came with us not long after she completed chemo and she wore out pretty quickly. We rented a wheelchair because at that time she was an ECV newbie and didn't want to learn to drive one at Disney. That wheelchair was a lifesaver. I'd guess that your mom will probably need something with as much walking as there is at WDW. Renting from an outside company is expensive, but then she has it at the resort not just the parks. My mom did need the chair everyday so I'd say it's better to have one and not need it.

ransam
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
i would rent an evc from an outside company. you don't want to have anything distract you from your vacation...so if it makes it easier for her, then rent one, it's well worth the money.
and if she is a newbie...go to a grocery store. most of them have them nowdays, and it's good practice.

Carolanne
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys--I do think she should get it from an outside company & have it just in case she ends up needing it.

She was originally leaning that way, too, but I don't know what happened to change her mind. Now that we're 20 days away, she started thinking about it again, but she's really undecided. I said to think of it like insurance--you'd rather have it & not need it rather than need it & not have it :mickey:

Mushu11756
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
We are going in September and rented an ECV from an outside company because it is cheaper and I believe if you rent from the parks you have to return it that day. Ours will be dropped off and picked up at our resort. We are saving $180 by not renting at the parks and we'll have it all day not just at the park. If you would like the companies info let me know. Good luck and have a great trip!

Carolanne
09-01-2009, 04:31 PM
We are going in September and rented an ECV from an outside company because it is cheaper and I believe if you rent from the parks you have to return it that day. Ours will be dropped off and picked up at our resort. We are saving $180 by not renting at the parks and we'll have it all day not just at the park. If you would like the companies info let me know. Good luck and have a great trip!

Hi! The company's info would be great. Thanks :mickey:

Mushu11756
09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I sent you the company info.

ransam
09-02-2009, 12:32 AM
i have used Walker Mobility and Randy's Mobility. I can't say enough good things about them and their customer service.

Marilyn Michetti
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
I bring my own on the plane. Even if I didn't, I wouldn't rent from the parks. Those things are as big as trucks, and not very reliable. As someone else said, during busy times, there might not be any to rent.:confused:

Carolanne
09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks so much, guys!

mickeefan
09-05-2009, 09:54 AM
We rent two every trip (bad knees) and having them all the time is the way to go.
Sometimes the walk from your resort to the bus and then from the bus to the park is a long distance, depending on where you are staying.
We prefer using Walker Mobility.

PETE FROM NYC
09-23-2009, 03:58 PM
My wife has her own ECV. I have to rent one and I used Apple Scooters.I recommend them,best prices,good scooters.I saw ECVs rented from a load of outside sources and heard a lot of complaints about Walker, but none about the others.