PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Shows???

pmwolfe
08-31-2009, 03:22 PM
It’s only going to be me and my wife this time for 5 days at WDW (on-site)…no children… (we are in our mid-fifties)…so which below dinner show do you recommend??...or other one’s I do not know about.

-Disney's Spirit of Aloha Show at the Polynesian
-Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
-Fantasmic! Dinner Package

Tygger7
08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
I'd recommend Hoop Dee Doo & Fantasmic. I haven't heard very many positive comments about the Spirit of Aloha.

TheRustyScupper
08-31-2009, 03:40 PM
1) Hoop Dee Do Review:
. . . always a fun time
. . . average quality comfort food
. . . great entertainment
. . . highly recommended!
2) Fantasmic!
. . . great show
. . . the best fireworks & media show at WDW
. . . dinner for the package is not a requirement
. . . you can line up for a regular seat
2) Luau:
. . . an average show, not great, but OK
. . . food above average

faline
08-31-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd also select the Hoop de Doo. We just did the Spirit of Aloha show last week. It's the first time we've been since the format changed from the Polynesian Luau. I like the old luau much better - in my opinion, it rivaled luaus on Hawaii. The new format is not as good.

T-Belle
08-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Another vote for the hoop!!! It's just a lot of fun. Allthough the fatasmic dinner pkg. is a good idea too. Don't forget that Fantasmic is free with park admission. You only need to pay for the dinner pkg. to get reserved seating.

mousetrapper
08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Of the three, I'd agree that HDDR and Fantasmic! are the best. We weren't impressed with the Spirit of Aloha - really corny, and not in a good way. Food wasn't memorable at all. Once was enough. I hear the old format was much better but I never had a chance to experience it.

HDDR is old-fashioned corny (in a good way) fun - food is satisfying, setting is lovely and it's just an all around rollicking good time.

Fantasmic! is a must-see for us every trip. All the Disney magic rolled up into one show. The special effects are terrific. We always do the Fantasmic! dinner package - very convenient to know you have seats and don't have to wait forever in line.

The mood is different for each of these two as well - Fantasmic! is an outdoor show in the evening (dark) and you're sitting in bleachers, but it's rather romantic ;)...at HDDR you're inside in a restaurant saloon-type setting and eating while watching (and sometimes participating in) a funny song-and-dance show. :beer: Depends on your mood!

SBETigg
08-31-2009, 08:38 PM
I would skip the dinner shows entirely and go for a lovely meal at a Signature Dining restaurant, like California Grill and watching the MK fireworks from the observation deck- romantic setting, breathtaking views, entertaining, and all with good food instead of the mediocre fare at the actual dinner shows.

LuvDaDuckMost
08-31-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm with SBeTigg!! If the food is the main attraction then hit someplace where you can have excellent food and see the fireworks. Ohana's at the Polynesian pipes the fireworks show in and you can ask for a window seat to watch the event while eating all you can. Although California Grill is most awesome!!!!

twinboyz
09-23-2009, 12:46 PM
We've been to all three.

If you're looking for romance..I agree that Fantasmic is the place to go. No need for the dinner package, but we did Mama Melrose's and the food was really yummy...if you like Italian.

The Luau was a bit corny, and nothing similar to an actual Luau. I have to admit the dancing and fire throwers was pretty good tho. The food was good too. I've never been to the 'old' Luau so I can't compare the two.:blush:

We went to HDDR just last month and it was hilarious. A bit corny, but in a fun way. They really get the crowd involved. The food was standard, but unique. The Sangria was out of this world. The Fried Chicken was delicious and so was the cornbread.

Good luck with you decision!:mickey:

GrumpyFan
09-23-2009, 05:21 PM
We've done all of them, but I would have to say that Hoop Dee Doo is our favorite.

Fantasmic isn't actually a Dinner Show. It's a combination package. See this page for an explanation and details of the Fantasmic! Dinner Package (http://intercot.com/infocentral/dining/fantasmic.asp).

Also, check the page here, Walt Disney World Dinner Shows (http://intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dinnershows.asp).

ToraTory
09-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I've also been to all three and I guess I'm in the minority but I liked the luau. I love the walk through the poly to get there, the atmosphere is festive, I like the food and I dunno maybe because I've never been to a "real" luau but I thought the entertainment was cool. Guess I'm easy to please, or I just like spending time at the Poly :mickey:

I love hoop de doo but that seems more like a family with kids evening to me. And I don't think fantasmic is romantic at all except that you are in the dark maybe?

You can't go wrong with any of these choices but I would suggest the luau :-)