PDA

View Full Version : Savannah View - Worth it?

4ubie1
08-31-2009, 01:47 PM
We are looking to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in January. We usually don't bother with getting a view because, frankly, we are not in our room enough to get our money's worth. However, this is our first time at AKL and were told that SV is the only way to go.

Opinions?

DisneyHoneymooners
08-31-2009, 01:59 PM
We used to think the same as you-until we got upgraded one year. And while it's true that you're usually not in your room that much it's pretty amazing to be able to wake up in the morning and see what's hanging out in the savanna, or when you come back from the park, or while you're getting ready for dinner. I agree that, if you can swing it, a savanna room is worth it. Have fun!

Tinkerfreak
08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
We really enjoy sitting on the balcony and watching the animals. We do spend time at the resort in the afternoon quite a bit though. We leave the park for a few hours to rest and then go back out for the evening. We love the relaxed feel of the AKL and always stay for a week so we have plenty of time for relaxing. If you are the type to get up and rush right out the door and not return until after dark then I would say don't bother because you won't get to enjoy it enough. There are plenty of good animal viewing areas other than the sv rooms but we just enjoy sitting out there with a drink and a snack and watching them.

Ms. Mode
08-31-2009, 02:15 PM
We had the Savannah View last August and it was worth every penny. It's the first time that we came back to the room in the afternoon for a rest, we loved just watching the animals in the afternoon. It got so they felt like our pets, we gave our favorites nicknames :thumbsup:

darthmacho
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
To me, the Savannah view is the reason to stay at AKL. I'd probably opt for a different resort if I could only afford the standard view at AKL, despite all of the other great features. One could always pay it a visit anyway by booking dinner at Boma...:mickey:

Mousemates
08-31-2009, 03:31 PM
We loved the savannah view rooms...there is nothing quite like sitting on your balcony late at night and watching the animals graze (and being so close you can here them chomping on the grass) or looking out and being on eyeball level with a giraffe that seems to be as intrigued with you as you are with him.

MNNHFLTX
08-31-2009, 03:38 PM
My son and I just got back from a stay at AKL and as far as we're concerned a savannah view room is the only way to go. We found ourselves waking up early and lingering a little longer in the room, just to watch the animals. Very relaxing. :)

like2workout
08-31-2009, 04:33 PM
if i wasn't going to get a savannah view, i would rather stay at another resort like the wilderness lodge. to me the savannah veiw makes all the difference in the world. i'm also one that spends very little time in the room on my trips, but like someone else said, waking up to see the animals each morning just can't be beat!

Stickey
09-01-2009, 11:01 AM
A savannah view room at the AKL offers a unique experience to watch the animals and to take a lot of pictures. It is definitely worth the added cost. :number1:

Tigerinvestigator
09-04-2009, 04:50 PM
We've stayed at AKL several times and have experienced pretty much every type of view and our favorite is easily the water view near the oasis (pool). The landscaping is fantastic and is perfect for a vacation. The other views of the animals are ok but after one day the animal view lost its luster and we were stuck with a barren wasteland compared to the pool view!:thumbsup:

GreenBeetle
09-04-2009, 08:11 PM
:yay: I've enjoyed reading the responses in this thread. And now I'm even more anxious for our trip to Kidani Village in January (2-bedroom Savannah view)!!

bkfree
09-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Our most recent trip was to AKL. I did not book a Savannah view but they upgraded us for free to one without us asking.
It certainly added much magic to the trip/ My kids(and us) were mesmerized by the zebras, giraffes, Ostriches and all the other animals right off our balcony. It was like a 24 hour show going on out there. I know in the future , I will pay extra for this view.
BUT, this is such an amazing resort with so much to see and do, that even without a savannah view you will have an awesome time there. The CM are amazing and they had fun activities all the time. There are also so many relaxing viewing stations outside and in, that you will not miss seeing a thing.
To us, it is the most unique resort at WDW or anywhere else.

thejens
09-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't do it if money was tight or if I would be second guessing my decision. The Savannah view is great, but we didn't miss it at all on our recent trip. We spend a lot of time watching the animals from other areas of the lodge and really enjoyed that. We did spend more time at the resort than usual, but not in our rooms. AKL is so gorgeous no matter where you stay! Also note that some Savannah rooms are better than others.