PDA

View Full Version : Suggested book/planning guide

thiscouldbeahabit
08-29-2009, 09:35 AM
First, I absolutely LOVE this website...so thankful for the person who recommended it to me! All of the information I find here is so useful. However, I also like to have a hard copy. Does anyone have a favorite book or planning guide that you'd recommend? We have a 5 year old and 3 year old that we'll be taking with us.:mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
08-29-2009, 09:42 AM
I have read a few over the years.
The Birnbaum book is all positive, with no objectivity.Full of info,but it may just as well have been written by the Disney Company.
I recommend the Un-official Guide. It has all the information you could want, and then some.Plus it also has some stuff off property.

peemagg
08-29-2009, 10:04 AM
I totally love Passporters Guide to WDW. I use it as my whole planning guide and keep all of my confirmation numbers and things in it. Great for keeping everything you need in one place.

DisneyorBust
08-29-2009, 10:19 AM
The Unoficial Guide to WDW is our favorite travelguide.
I agree with Pete from NY's opiion on Birnbaum, reads like a Disney advertisement.

marylynne95
08-29-2009, 11:32 AM
First off, :welcome:

I like all three of the ones mentioned above, haven't bought one in awhile, but the Passporter and Birnbaum's are my favorites.

Dsnygirl
08-29-2009, 11:43 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!! I remember my first few months here... SO much great info, right at your fingertips!! :thumbsup: So glad you've found us!!

As far as books go, I'm a die-hard Passporter fan... I got the 3-ring binder, and just re-fill the pages for the year I'm going. The pockets to keep your travel documents in are invaluable, and the information is easy to find, up-to-date, and fun. (and the maps are GREAT!!)

I've read the Un-Official Guide and like that, too... the objectivity is refreshing.

Last but not least, my new favorite - Mousejunkies! It's a tip/advice book sprinkled with trip-report anecdotes and a fun, Disney-addict sense of humor throughout. Totally my speed, I relate to so much of what the author's written. And it just came out, so it's up-to-date, as well.

Have fun planning & searching out this site.... I've printed a wealth of information from here alone!! :thumbsup:

Twinkletoes77705
08-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree...i love the Passporter too! I also like the Birnbaum book too. They have one writen by kids for kids also. My son loves that because you get a kids perspective on the rides. he kinda knew what to exspect his first time. However your kids are a bit younger than he was. BTW...I am your neighbor! I live in Winne Texas...not far from you guys at all. Kinda by the beach. have a blessed day!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-29-2009, 02:03 PM
My absolute favourite is the Unofficial Guide - I read it just for fun, even when I'm not planning a trip :mickey:

Harriet
08-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I have tried just about every one out there when I first started but find the Passporter to be the best IMHO. I to do have the deluxe lether bound book and just buy the reill every year. I also subscrive to Celebration Magazine. It comes out every 2 months and it is great. Disney used to put out Disney Club Magazine then they stop. Celebration has taken its place and those of use are very happy about this.

Have a Magical Trip

thiscouldbeahabit
08-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Thank you SO much for the advice. So I have another question...we're going to WDW in January. The Passporter 2010 book is not out yet. Should I wait until it's available or just go ahead and get the 2009 edition?

tinksmom02
08-29-2009, 11:36 PM
I totally love Passporters Guide to WDW. I use it as my whole planning guide and keep all of my confirmation numbers and things in it. Great for keeping everything you need in one place.

I love the Passporter, too, and buy a new one each year (that reminds me, have to preorder the 2010 soon!). I call it the busy mom's scrapbook. I take it on vacation with me to store all my info (it doesn't leave the room, though!).

I like the Unofficial Guide, and the Complete Guide has nice pictures and info, too. We tried the WDW By kids, for Kids guide--your littles might like looking at that one.

My advice (as a librarian LOL): see what your library has to offer and borrow anything interesting before you buy it!

tinksmom02
08-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Last but not least, my new favorite - Mousejunkies! It's a tip/advice book sprinkled with trip-report anecdotes and a fun, Disney-addict sense of humor throughout. Totally my speed, I relate to so much of what the author's written. And it just came out, so it's up-to-date, as well.

Glad to hear this--I bought this book for the plane ride to WDW!

MickeyandTink
08-31-2009, 05:32 PM
We got Birnbaum's WDW for Kids by Kids for our DD (then 6) before our first trip two years ago. She absolutlely loved it. In fact, she read it so often it started falling apart so we're getting her a new copy for our trip this year (which she still doesn't know about, so don't tell her :secret:)

I've also ordered the Disney Queue Line Survival book for DW. Have not received it yet, so can't say for certain how good it is, but it did get good reviews on Amazon.

eandrsmom
09-02-2009, 09:17 AM
The Unofficial Guide is my Disney "bible". I loan it out to anyone who is going. It is huge, but the wealth of information cannot be beat.

Belster
09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I have made my own book that I bring with me each time. It is a 3x5 book I have created tabs with the information that is personalized to my trip. I copy and paste information from this site. Then I print and glue it in the appropriate tab.

It is so helpful that I have even made them for friends before they go...

If you have any questions on the tabs or would like some of what I have saved as a word document, pm me.

poeticeclipse
09-03-2009, 11:20 AM
The Unofficial Guide is my Disney "bible". I loan it out to anyone who is going. It is huge, but the wealth of information cannot be beat.

Exactly! I call the Unofficial Guide my "bible." I am actually off to get the new 2010 edition that just came out Monday this weekend!

From what I understand once you start using the Passporter you won't quit. I've only taken a glance at one really but I think i'm just too addicted and devoted to my Unofficial Guide to change. I really don't need all of the added things that the Passporter provides. I make my own travel binder anyways and I love doing that.

Also, ever thought of using Disney podcasts as a learning tool? I know it's not like... hard information you can carry around but it will give you amazing information. I suggest "WDW Today." Shows are short (20 minutes) and you can read through the archives and figure out what topics interest you.

Lynn J Mc
09-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Another vote for the "Unofficial". I have their guide to DC and New Orleans too. I am a planning freak. Passporter would be my second. Now my 8 YO niece has always loved Birnbaum b/c of the pictures. She will sit down with it and explain what she likes and what she doesn't. That makes it priceless.

jokat
09-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Two big :thumbsup::thumbsup: for Passporter! I am a planning freak, and it helped me plan to my heart's content, helped me organize thoughts/notes/anecdotes during the trip (with the pockets and daily recap pages especially), and makes for an awesome trip record after you're home (souvenir and help for next time).

Also, another :thumbsup: for the kids guide by kids. Not only is the format super kid friendly, but the autograph pages in the back worked out great for us in the parks!

kemps@wdw
09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Birnbaums is good and so the Birnbaums kids edition. Of course, they DO portray WDW in a positive and somewhat advertising way, but it is an "official" guide, and I want to see anything regarding WDW as positive! :mickey: The "un-official" guide is very thorough and VERY long. And although it is a more detailed guide, (and good reading) it's a little too opinionated in some areas (and not necessarily in a good way) for me. (IMHO). And my opinions ( as yours maybe) were a little different than the authors. :mickey: As a multiple visitor to the World, I have lately been looking for some different insights to WDW, and have found them in the "Hidden Magic of WDW" book. It just goes to show, that there's always more to learn! :mickey:

stitchaholic
09-07-2009, 09:10 AM
birnbaum and intercot:number1:

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
We are addicted to Disney reading as well!It gets us so... pumped up for WDW!! Dawn bought the BEST WDW book I have read. I am so excited reading it, that I don't want to fininsh it! I have bookmark tabs ALL over the top to make sure I can get back to what was on each page. It is called, The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World. It has over 600 secrets from around WDW.It has so many things that I didn't know or even notice. We are planning our trip in Dec. around this book. We want the "extra" magic and we are going to take our time to take it ALL in! It is really awesome!! It is like looking at WDW w/ different eyes!! I know while we are experiencing things "differently", it will feel like we have our own little secret!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

WDWCrazyKaren
09-08-2009, 09:03 AM
We love the Passporter for planning, the Unofficial Guide for strategizing, and Julie Neals book (for the life of me the title escapes me) simply for drooling. Heck, I read them all, all the time, trip in the works or not!

Happy Planning!

VolMickey
09-08-2009, 10:27 AM
We use two (2) primary sources -- Intercot and the Passporter book. Used both for years and wouldn't go to WDW without referring to each. Lots of other websites out there as well.