PDA

View Full Version : This question is nagging at me...

sleepycoconut
08-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Is the seasonal rate for the DDP ($47) worth it?

I have checked out the menus and the prices and it just doesn't seem to be a good deal at all. Maybe for a day or two, like when we eat at Le Cellier, but not many restaurants have price points comparable to Le Cellier.:confused:

Any thoughts?

egospotter
08-28-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't think that the dining plan has been a good deal since the appetizer and tip were taken off. I am going for free dinning, but I am not sure that I would ever pay for the plan again. We did once, when we didn't go during free dinning, and it was worth it then, even if you broke even it was nice to have everything prepaid and not have to worry about pricing. But now you have to pay for extras, and tip so it's not even the convenience of pre-paid any more.

So after all that, I guess that my answer would be no. :(

lockedoutlogic
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I agree with the above poster....it was a phenomenal deal when it first was introduced....and is now nothing more than a push.

As far as the "seasonal" rate....it probably works out the same as the regular rate....because they bump the prices of so many locations during that time.

The dining system has been destroyed like Rome after the fall...in my opinion....but that is for another day:thedolls:

TheRustyScupper
08-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Is the seasonal rate for the DDP ($47) worth it?

1) Doubtful.
2) But, the gullible American public will still buy it in droves.
3) Gives them a chance to seemingly pig-out.
4) Of course, Ogre and Meg love it for their bonuses.
5) Can you imagine $47 for a sit down meal and a fast food meal?
6) And, without an appy!

7) To quote the comic strip, POGO, "We have met the enemy, and it is us."

Belster
08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
To me the dining plan is more than just a value. It is a piece of mind that I feel when I do not have to have the talk outside of a restaurant..."I only have x $$$ and you can only order something that is x amount." I feel good knowing my kids picked whatever they wanted, and got a dessert. Not only that but they can also get a great lunch...and if you now how to work the snack credit you can have a prett great snack as well!!

We love being able to eat at places that we normally would not....we LOVE having the food prepaid and let's face it I would never get a snack and an app....I am a big sweet treat person.

Just another thought!!!

Belster
08-29-2009, 10:30 AM
What meant to say was I would never get a dessert and an app...sorry.

bkfree
08-29-2009, 11:43 AM
We recently returned from our 3rd trip using the DDP. And once again,even with the changes, it saved us lots of money. Several hundreds of dollars.
Like others said,it is not only about the dollar savings but the ease of having our meals prepaid long in advance of the trip/
We also have a Dinner ADR every night.
We ate at Boma, Chefs De France, Tutto Italia, Askerhaus, Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, Kona and Park Fare for Dinner. We eat most all our lunches at WS, Yak and Yeti or DTD Wolfgang Puck Express. When we added in all of our snacks, our week total was way over the cost of the DDP.
We are in the process of planning trip number 4 and my hubbys one request was that he did not care where we stayed but he insists on the DDP again.
We love it.
Our good friends went recently and decided this time not to do the DDP. Once home, they found that they had spent the same amount as the DDP would have been and had not eaten nearly as well.
Next trip, they will be back on the DDP.

MNNHFLTX
08-29-2009, 02:38 PM
After using the DDP last week on a trip, I concluded that it's not worth it to me. Maybe I would reconsider if they gave you the choice of an appetizer or dessert, but I don't know. The convenience is lacking, IMO, since you must still decide on and pay a gratuity (not a small amount in some of the more expensive restaurants). I suppose if a person consistently chose the most expensive items on a menu it would end up saving some money per meal, but sometimes the most expensive food is not what's appealing to me.

I would rather go and and just get what I'm hungry for, instead of trying to get the value of my DDP dollar. And since I don't usually order dessert, I'm sure it would cost me less money too.

sleepycoconut
08-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Until a few weeks ago I was totally sold on the DDP! It just seemed to make sense and I had heard of nothing but rave reviews. But when I started doing the math, it just didn't seem to add up.

Our trip isn't until June 2010 when the seasonal rates go into effect. This is something new I think. I had asked in a previous post if the restaurants raised their rates also and it seems as though the only ones that do are the buffets and character meals.

For example, if a typical CS meal for an adult is $10, then a TS dinner $30 and a $4 snack that only adds up to $44. That's a $3 loss.

Whether we use the DDP or not, our dining plans won't change. We will still eat at all of our favorites and enjoy.:thumbsup: I just don't want to lose money doing it. If the rates were going to be what they are now, there wouldn't be a question! I just don't want to pay for the convenience of pre-paying.

Also, 2 of our adult DDPs will be for a 10 and 11 year old. While they normally have very healthy appetites, they seem to lose them in all of the excitement of WDW. Not sure if this would be a factor or not...

Oooooo, another question! I know that gratuity is not included but is tax?

Thanks for all of your insight! I really appreciate it.:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
08-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Oooooo, another question! I know that gratuity is not included but is tax?Yes, tax is included. :)

sleepycoconut
08-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Maybe I would reconsider if they gave you the choice of an appetizer or dessert, but I don't know. The convenience is lacking, IMO, since you must still decide on and pay a gratuity (not a small amount in some of the more expensive restaurants). I suppose if a person consistently chose the most expensive items on a menu it would end up saving some money per meal, but sometimes the most expensive food is not what's appealing to me.

Thanks Beth! I feel the same the way. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

Since so many people absolutely LOVE DDP you rarely ever hear the downside of it. I think that in the past it has been a fantastic way to save money on dining but with the new & higher seasonal rates...it just doesn't seem quite worth it.:(

Dopey's Girl
08-30-2009, 01:13 PM
We don't do TS meals every day, so the price of the dining plan just isn't worth it...especially since the changes were made. We went for free dining one year, and ended up with a few credits left, because we just couldn't eat that much. Granted that was with the app and desert, but still, it was just too much food!

Disney4us2
08-30-2009, 02:39 PM
The last time we were there they still included the appetizer and tip.

Just for the peace of mind that I don't need to come up with the money for dining and that it is all pre-paid is worth it to me. Sort of like an all inclusive vacation.

I will still go with the DDP for my next trip.:mickey:

goofygirl67
08-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Normally I don't use the plan and just wing it when I eat, usually CS. In December I will be going with someone so we got the dining plan. I have been going nuts trying to figure where I am going to eat in 6 months.
I prefere winging it after this, TS is not a requirement for me to enjoy WDW.

Mousefever
08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
We've used the dining plan a few times, but it certainly hasn't been worth it since our son has turned 10 and became an "adult". On our last trip we made several ADRs at great restaurants, but we had more freedom to eat when and where we wanted. I'll never do the dining plan again, especially since it's gotten more expensive and less of a value.

Amy

Mickey91
08-31-2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks Beth! I feel the same the way. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

Since so many people absolutely LOVE DDP you rarely ever hear the downside of it. I think that in the past it has been a fantastic way to save money on dining but with the new & higher seasonal rates...it just doesn't seem quite worth it.:(
The clencher is, they keep adding dates to the seasonal/peak seasons! Pretty soon there won't be but a handful of regular/value dates left!:mad: