PDA

View Full Version : New Restaurant Idea for Backlot

GrumpyFan
08-27-2009, 11:36 AM
The backlot tour at Disney’s Hollywood Studios has become stale and boring over time and needs to be replaced. The following is an idea I had recently for a new restaurant that could take the place of the Backlot tour.

I think it would be a neat idea to use the front part of the backlot tour, and turn it into a new restaurant. They could call it the "Prop Room", or the "Prop Warehouse" or something like that. It would be kind of like Planet Hollywood, but on a grander scale. They’ve already got a small “warehouse” as part of the queue that could be used to line the walls with the items in there. They would just have to expand the floor space and build a kitchen.

The waiters and waitresses could all be aspiring actors working in Hollywood. They would be dressed in coveralls as if they worked in the warehouse, or they could be wearing different prop costumes as if they had been on set. They would all have an attitude of “I’m only doing this job until I get my big break”. They could brag about a small role they had in a commercial, or knowing somebody who knows somebody whose cousin is a director who said they could get them in a movie “next week”. Or, they could be an older person, who once had a small role in a movie nobody’s ever heard of, and act frustrated when they tell about it and nobody knows it. They could also have an occasional “director” walk in and make a scene about not being able to get his props, or how his props were being used at somebody’s table. Or, he could find a "star" in the room, and do a screen test on the spot, and end it by feigning interest, only to have one of the waiters/waitresses get mad because he never gave them a callback. Another idea would be to have one or two of the street performers make an appearance and demand that they get a table right away because of their “stardom”. There are multiple ideas that could be used here, these are just a few I thought of.

The food could be themed to different classic movies. They could use old "mock" props for serving pieces and platters. The tables could have famous script lines printed on them. They could also have pictures of stars' portfolio pictures, and maybe a list of the different movies they were in.

There's lots of different things that could be done with this.

disneymom15
08-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Neat idea, I like it.

Marceline
08-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I love it! Very creative, perfectly thematic, good spot to let the more theatrical CMs play up their acting chops. And agreed.....more dining options are needed at the Studios IMHO.

:thumbsup::mickey:

GrumpyFan
08-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Actually, in thinking a bit more about it, there are already 5 (sit-down) table service restaurants at DHS, so one of them might have to go. I would vote for Sci-fi to close, and then they could replace it with something else like an attraction, or they could put this idea in there.