PDA

View Full Version : Got upgraded at Poly

gaffz70
08-27-2009, 08:49 AM
We just returned, I had requested a GV room in Tokelau and when we checked in the CM said that Tokelau was booked but could upgrade us to the Hawaii Building - I think I would have kissed him if I could reach over the counter!!!

I think the only way I would go back to Poly would be to do concierge, and frankly I just can't see spending that kind of $ for it. We didn't like the buildings being so spread out - this was mostly b/c of the weather - walking over to get coffee in the morning was not enjoyable in the heat and rain. Thank God we had the concierge lounge but our friends were in rapa nui and ended up making coffee in their room and hated it.
We did appreciate the grounds a little more on the days it wasn't so hot...so I do think that the weather had a lot to do with it. Being on the monorail was nice, but even for that I felt like we had to wait longer than usual - it was definitely more crowded than the last time we went in August.

The pool was awesome, kids loved it.
I would prob pick WL over Poly if I had the choice...we would like to try GF but wonder if we'll have the same problem with walking from the different buildings ??

Belster
08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
There were many years that Poly was our home...and August was our month. Yes, while I will agree that the walk in the August heat is horrible...the resort is still my fav!!! I will say that I will NEVER do WDW in August again!! We are now October people...but cannot do Poly at this time....our day will come.:cloud9:

renecat
08-27-2009, 11:01 AM
We've stayed at many of the Disney Resorts and can't remember one that I didn't have to
walk from one building to another place. Did the GF last Dec. was in Pine Key. Had to walk to the main building for monorail or the counter service resturant or Narcooses. Of course it was Dec. so weather wasn't hot.
Staying at the Poly in Sept. so I guess I'll find out what you are talking about. First trip in many years that we're not going in Dec.
11 days and counting!!!:cloud9:

Polynesian Dweller
08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
It's always interesting to hear people say the buildings are so spread out. That's the illusion created to make it seem like a Polynesian village . In reality, it isn't spread out much at all. To see that take a look at the satellite images of WDW on Google Earth or elsewhere and you'll see it's actually a small footprint. Compare it to the other resorts and you perhaps will be surprised.

Don't worry about being there, the longest walk to the GCH is about 3 - 5 minutes and it can take you longer in most hotels to get to the lobby. Besides the grounds are beautiful to walk through.

Belster
08-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I guess noone has been to Vegas??? The walks there are something to complain about.

TammiMcMan
08-27-2009, 12:53 PM
What a nice surprise :tink: . I'm glad you enjoyed the upgrade.

SurferStitch
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Isn't it wonderful getting an upgrade like that? We also got an upgrade from garden view to Sugar Loaf concierge last year at the Grand Flo.

All of the garden view rooms (and possible all lagoon view) were probably booked up, and that explains the upgrade to concierge (club). If other GV rooms were open, you would have probably gotten one of them.

At least, that's how it was explained to me at the Grand Flo. ALL GV and LV rooms were booked, and all they had left was concierge. Hey, I wasn't about to complain!

Glad you had a wonderful trip!

vamaggie
08-27-2009, 04:53 PM
We stayed at the Poly our last trip and did not think the bldgs were spread out at all. We had rain one day and did walk through some of the bldgs (vs going out and walking the paths) to get to the GCH and were not outside really at all. To be upgraded would be a dream come true--really want to try the concierge bldg but can't swing the $$$$ at this time :(

Tinkerbella16
08-28-2009, 12:12 AM
It's always interesting to hear people say the buildings are so spread out. That's the illusion created to make it seem like a Polynesian village . In reality, it isn't spread out much at all. To see that take a look at the satellite images of WDW on Google Earth or elsewhere and you'll see it's actually a small footprint. Compare it to the other resorts and you perhaps will be surprised.

Don't worry about being there, the longest walk to the GCH is about 3 - 5 minutes and it can take you longer in most hotels to get to the lobby. Besides the grounds are beautiful to walk through.

Was going to say the same exact thing. If some people think the Poly has some long walks from the rooms to GCH, then they should take a look at CBR, CSR and POR and see how much bigger it is there. Our walk from our room at POR to the main building was about 10mins or longer literally!! But the bus stops are spread out so that was never an issue. I never really thought the Poly was that big of a resort at all.

Thats great that you got the upgrade though!!

mouseketeer mom
08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Agreed. Never even once thought that there was much walking involved to get anywhere at the Poly. IMO it is by far one of the easiest resorts to walk and get around. Sounds spread out, but it really isn't. We love the Hawaii bldg. Glad you enjoyed it too!

gaffz70
08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I knew I would get some flack for this one :mickey: I do not think that the buildings are so spread out that it is unbearable...it's just that we tend to prefer having the convenience of everything in one building like we did at the WL and BC.

Unfortunately we can only go to WDW in the summer as my dh is a teacher and not allowed to take off during the school year...
I can see where the walks around the Poly would be relaxing most of the year. It was just hard to enjoy those first couple days when it was close to 100 degrees. The Poly definitely grew on us towards the end of the week when it was only in the mid 90's.
In a way I'm glad I didn't absolutely fall in love with it...b/c now I can keep trying all of the other resorts. Different strokes for different folks:thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
09-01-2009, 10:26 PM
We just got back from the Poly and I was hoping they would upgrade us. :) But they had us down for Tahiti when we had requested Tokelau. I asked for that and at first they said there were none until later in the afternoon then changed their minds and gave us a room. (We may have gotten yours):blush: But we loved Tokelau. They did tell us they had overbooked so we were hoping for an upgrade. But we were satisfied. It was very convenient to everything and I didn't think any walk to anywhere was too long. It was only 10 minutes from there to get to the TTC one morning. Less time than it took us to ride the monorail to it. We liked it so well that we booked it again for next year on the bounce back offer.

gueli
09-03-2009, 04:30 PM
2 years ago (sept 2007) we stayed at the polly during a heat wave. I loved the place.
Yes there was some walking, but if you were in a bldg closer to TTC you just went there. I liked that the garden view rooms were not of the parking lot (OK at least the one we stayed at).
Lets face it the heat & humidity can be unbearable, but as a pp said you can walk through the buildings if it is hot.
:mickey:

Tinkerfreak
09-04-2009, 08:54 AM
We are booked in a gv room Nov. 20th and have requested Tokeleau and hope to get that. I would love to get an upgrade to Hawaii. We will be there celebrating 3 birthdays so it would be a wonderful birthday present for all 3 of them.

pixiesmimi
09-05-2009, 10:18 AM
We had a Tokelau GV room and really liked it except we wished that the balcony had not faced East because we couldn't sit out in the morning with the sun in our eyes. But then again we wouldn't have been able to see the space shuttle launch if it hadn't been. DH said if we went back, that is where he wanted to stay again. Very convenient for everything. The bus stop, CH, pool, etc. Good luck!

Tigerinvestigator
09-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Congrats on the upgrade, we have had several over the years. The Poly is easily, without a doubt, my favorite resort at WDW (and we have almost stayed at all of them-see signature:thumbsup:). What I would give to walk those walkways right now with the tiki torches lit. As far as comparing it to the walks at the GF it is almost identical in having to walk to the different buildings. We have stayed at both and prefer the Poly. :thumbsup: