PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West question

NH Disneyfan
08-27-2009, 07:10 AM
This resort looks huge and with a golf course running through, even bigger. I'm wondering if there is transportation provided within the resort, to move people from the rooms to the pool area and main house area. We might be staying at OKW in January with someone who doesn't walk well, so trying to understand options.

Thanks!

It'sWDW4me
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure if there is a dedicated, internal bus at OKW but the last stop for any of the buses is the Hospitallity House. Simply head to your local bus stop (I think there are four stops spread throughout the resort) and catch the first bus heading anywhere. The stop at HH before leaving the resort may be skipped if the bus is jam-packed so I'd mention to the driver as you're getting on that you need to go to the HH.

Even though there are a few bus stops within the resort some rooms can still be a decent walk away. When making your reservation do request a room as close to any of the bus stops as possible and let them know that a member of your party has mobility issues. Along those lines, most of the buildings are 2-3 floors high and don't have elevators (there are only 3 newer buildings that do have elevators) so if stairs could present a problem, you may want to request a room on ground level or in buildings #62, 63, or 64 (elevators). If you've already made your reservation, you can call Disney anytime and add the request - I'm sure they would be able to accomodate your needs.

I've stayed at OKW once and simply fell in love with it. It's a wonderful, peaceful, laid-back atmosphere and, if I could afford it, I would definitely buy points so I could call it "home"!

Enjoy your trip.

lockedoutlogic
08-27-2009, 11:49 AM
there is an internal shuttle bus (all disney "internal shuttles" are regular WDW transport buses that loop around the resort before then proceeding to a park on a rotating basis)...but OKW is a good place to have a car...if that's an option

NH Disneyfan
08-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the information!

TheRustyScupper
08-28-2009, 08:01 AM
1) OKW & SSR are not good resorts for walking-impaired folks.
2) You need to request a building near a bus stop.
3) Plus, as mentioned, ask for bldg #62, #63, #64 for elevators.
4) Other buildings can have 3-floors to climb.
5) The suggestion for a car is a good one.
6) OKW & SSR can be tough to get around without a car for the disabled.

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-28-2009, 11:11 PM
there is an internal shuttle bus (all disney "internal shuttles" are regular WDW transport buses that loop around the resort before then proceeding to a park on a rotating basis)...but OKW is a good place to have a car...if that's an option

I have found the "internal shuttle" buses to be few and far between.