PDA

View Full Version : travel agent or not

DeniseMB
08-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Just wondering, do you have a travel agent or do it all on your own? :mickey::mickey:

Dopey's Girl
08-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I was a do it myself-er for a long time. Then I decided to plan a trip in less than 3 weeks, so I sent Magical Journeys and email, got set up with Wendy, and haven't looked back. I wouldn't even think of doing it myself any more!

Not only is Wendy efficient and very fun to work with, but she (and all the MJ staff) will find you deals to apply to your ressies before you have even had your first cup of coffee in the morning! And I don't have to spend years on the phone with Disney to do it!

Jillirose
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM
We always make our own, but I think that if you don't have time to research offers and check for updates, it's an advantage to work with an agent.

tinksmom02
08-26-2009, 10:55 PM
MJ all the way!!! We used to use the travel agents at our local AAA. MJ definitely works harder to find the best deal for you, and I find the service to be very personable--much better than the AAA office. :number1:

tcswife
08-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Do it yourself!!! You get the same deals as you would with a TA!!! Disney is only so cheap!!! MJ may get the deal sooner by a few days but no deal is exclusive to them or any other travel agency!!!:mickey:

ransam
08-26-2009, 11:13 PM
i go through a travel agent...which is funny because whenever my friends book a trip, i'm usually the one that gets on the phone w/ them and book it.

Jeri
08-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I use Magical Journeys because I don't feel like keeping track of all the deals and figuring out what is best. I don't want to sit on the phone at 6am trying to get a deal.
I wake up to an e-mail telling me how much I have saved.

TammiMcMan
08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Do it yourself!!! You get the same deals as you would with a TA!!! Disney is only so cheap!!! MJ may get the deal sooner by a few days but no deal is exclusive to them or any other travel agency!!!:mickey:True, but discounts are usually limited, by the time the average consumer hears about a discount, it could be too late ;).

I agree that an agency isn't for everybody, but they definitely have their advantages.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
08-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Magical Journeys for me!!!! Melissa is GREAT!!!!

RedSoxFan
08-27-2009, 07:17 AM
I used AAA for my first two Disney trips. Worked out pretty well even though I had to tell them about a discount. This last trip I used MJ and Terrisue (our daughters are friends) and it was much better than AAA. I will definitely use Terrisue again.

Belster
08-27-2009, 08:58 AM
I also have done mine alone for a long time. This past year after becoming an Intercotee:number1: I decided to go with MJ....I will always use them in the future. It has saved me hours of time on the phone and legwork.

Thanks Kathy!!!!:mickey:

LoriSan
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
another vote for MJ! Let me add that using them costs you nothing additional, but they may SAVE you money.

sorcerer fan
08-27-2009, 09:47 AM
still another vote for MJ. No muss , no fuss if there's a discount or better deal they get it for you as soon as they come out. I'm going in dec and it started with a room only deal with AAA and Melissa canceled that for me and got the free dining a week before it came out to the public. any time there's a better deal they find it.

BMan62
08-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I've gone through AAA, booked myself, and gone through MJ -- MJ wins! By a landslide!!

I can be a bit obsessive about looking for deals (right Denise?), but have yet to find something better than what I get through MJ.

Tygger7
08-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I also have done mine alone for a long time. This past year after becoming an Intercotee:number1: I decided to go with MJ....I will always use them in the future. It has saved me hours of time on the phone and legwork.

Thanks Kathy!!!!:mickey:

Ditto for me....I always did my own reservations until finding Intercot & Magical Journeys. Let me say that on my own, I have NEVER been able to get a discount on anything at Disney. The first time I used MJ was for my May 2008 trip and we saved over $400. And, there is NO CHARGE for their services!! To be honest, even if I wasn't able to get a discount I'd still use them just because I like not having to spend hours on the phone with Disney if I need to make a change to my reservation. The MJ team knows when the discounts are coming and they get on the phone and take care of finding the best deal for me. And did I mention that there is NO CHARGE for their services?? I'm a full MJ convert...I'll never book a trip to WDW any other way. :D

prprincess
08-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I used to book all of our trips myself, but once I joined Intercot and heard about Magical Journeys, that was it for me, as far as booking our Disney trips go. I just feel like I don't have to worry as much when I use them.

But for trips anywhere else, I usually handle the details using online travel sites.

Goes4FastPass
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
There's a name for travel agents that specialize in WDW: Big Help.

There's a name for travel agents don't specialize in WDW: Best Guess.

Like the recent thread where the TA gave the guest the impression multiple days of a WYW admission could be used to visit multiple WDW parks in the same day without purchasing a hopping option.

darthmacho
08-27-2009, 10:46 AM
There's a name for travel agents that specialize in WDW: Big Help.

There's a name for travel agents don't specialize in WDW: Best Guess.

Like the recent thread where the TA gave the guest the impression multiple days of a WYW admission could be used to visit multiple WDW parks in the same day without purchasing a hopping option.

Haha, I thought those were links and I was just trying to click on them. You got me! :D

PETE FROM NYC
08-27-2009, 04:00 PM
In the past we have used some local travel agents.
Then I started doing everything myself.
My upcoming trip, we decided to try MJ, and let me say that so far we are very satisfied, working with Denise.
If this trip goes well, I would always use and recommend Magical Journeys.
BTW,some of my friends think I am a WDW expert ( I am not, really )and want me to do their planning for them.I do make suggestions .but let them do their own legwork and phone calls.

FOUR MORE DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-27-2009, 04:27 PM
We've done it both ways...one my own and didn't have a problem, with an agency that didn't specialize in Disney and we had problems and with Magical Journeys-great experience. MJ got us a refund when a special came out for our dates....

joonyer
08-27-2009, 05:00 PM
We have used MJ for several trips now and we'll never go back to self-booking. Wendy is our MJ agent and takes care of everything and gladly gives me several options for pricing at different resorts, etc. for our travel dates so all we have to do is pick the best option for us. If a better deal then comes along she'll snag it for us.

mdhiggin
08-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm excessive about digging for the best deals, and MJ finds them for me. I'm sold! They also know more about Disney policies than the folks at the Disney Reservation line. And if they don't know, they find out for you in the blink of an eye. I love Debbie at MJ!

Nut4DW
08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm another one who after spending time on Intercot and reading all the great things about Magical Journeys switched from doing it myself to letting Denise of MJ take care of it for me. Last year's trip, a discount came out after we booked our trip ourselves - Disney said sorry - can't help you get that discount. This year, new offers came out after booking - Denise changed our ressies and got us the new deal. I will never book on my own again at Disney - Denise and MJ all the way!!!

TheVBs
08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I've always booked on my own. It's never occurred to me to use a travel agent, I think because it's always been relatively easy. Although I definitely agree that you're on the phone a lot when booking a Disney trip!

After all I've read here about MJ (never knew before joining that there were TAs that specialized in Disney!) there's a fair chance we'll give them a try for our next trip. This might sound weird, but it's kind of a scary thought. I guess when I'm doing it myself I feel more in control. :blush:

JPL
08-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Magical Journeys all the way! Whenever I'm not staying using my DVC points Wendy is the first person I e-mail. She has never failed me :thumbsup: She has a gone above and beyond what most travel agents are willing to do on more than occasion and saved me some money. I will never book another Disney Trip on my own again!

BigWes6
08-28-2009, 05:04 PM
We've used our TA for the past 3 trips and this year we were going to try it ourselves , BUT after hearing you guys about MJ, we're gonna give them a try ! We like our TA but alot of times we feel like the Disney travel experts ! She's always asking us about WDW info for her other clients !!LOL:thumbsup:

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
For about 20 yrs we handled making our own reservations.
Then a couple yrs ago my wife and I were both swamped at work and didn't have time to deal with it. We contacted MJ and have been using Terrisue for our non-DVC stays ever since.

It is nice to know that somebody else is watching out for the discounts for us!!! :thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
08-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Magical Journeys all the way! Whenever I'm not staying using my DVC points Wendy is the first person I e-mail. She has never failed me :thumbsup: She has a gone above and beyond what most travel agents are willing to do on more than occasion and saved me some money. I will never book another Disney Trip on my own again!

Advice: Vacation Club

I think it's time there, big guy:thumbsup:

caryrae
08-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Not sure if anyone mentioned yet but I would use a TA called Magical Journeys.:silly:

We are using MJ this year and it has been great. We have changed Resort plans a few times and it was no problem. Just send an e-mail that you want to change Resorts and usaually a few hours later you get an e-mail response with a new confirmation for the Resort you want to switch to (if it's available that is).

disneydeb
08-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I used to do my own too until a few years ago and I decided to give this site sponsors a try. My experience with MJ and Wendy has been wonderful. She is presently helping my daughter with her Disney Honeymoon reservations!