PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Noise

Granny Jill A
08-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Has anyone noticed the increased noise levels everywhere you go? I'm an older adult, but I'm not deaf - yet :D

When I go to the movies, I have to wear ear plugs because the volume is too high.

When we go to a restaurant, the decibels prevent a normal conversation. The recorded music competes with the voices bouncing off the hard surfaces.

The shows at Disney World are reflecting this trend. I know the show must be heard over voices, kids, etc., but it's almost painful without ear plugs.

another tink
08-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I agree! And I am hard of hearing.:confused:

IloveDisney71
08-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I agree with you about the movies, especially the introductions. It's really LOUD and I'm in my 30's. Some restaurants are really loud too. I'm not sure the reason for all of this. :confused:

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2009, 10:20 PM
I know what you mean--that's one of the reasons I don't go to see movies at the theatre very much anymore, the audio just seems too loud. It doesn't help that I am very sensitive to loud noises anyway, especially in the evenings when my system is on auditory overload.

RedSoxFan
08-27-2009, 07:14 AM
And then there is the LOUD music in the mall stores where my kids like to shop. I took DD to Hollister --- couldn't wait to get out of there the other day.

LauraF
08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Unfortunately, I've just stopped going places that are too loud. My BF teases me a little about it, but he's started to realize that it's a major problem for us both. Last time in WDW we didn't do a single show, and I managed to get through Illuminations, but only because we had a spot away from a speaker and on the far side of the lagoon.

I'm very sensitive to loud noises (smells, bright lights) as well, so things like movie theatres, or worse arcades (shudder) will jangle my nerves and give me tension headaches for the rest of the day. I hate that it limits my options sometimes, but it's better that than to be miserable.

diz_girl
08-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I thought that it was just me. As you get older, you tend to lose hearing, so why would everything be louder now?

I wonder if it has something to do with the prevalence of digital technology and/or so many people being plugged into their iPods and other personal entertainment devices.

I don't know, but it seems so hard to find quiet places anymore.

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I thought that it was just me. As you get older, you tend to lose hearing, so why would everything be louder now?

I wonder if it has something to do with the prevalence of digital technology and/or so many people being plugged into their iPods and other personal entertainment devices.
The audio in theaters doesn't just seem louder, it is louder now and is sustained for longer periods of time. Sometimes I worry about my son's generation and whether they'll suffer significant hearing loss because they are constantly being subjected to (or subjecting themselves to) extremely high decibel noise levels.

Granny Jill A
08-27-2009, 01:40 PM
The audio in theaters doesn't just seem louder, it is louder now and is sustained for longer periods of time. Sometimes I worry about my son's generation and whether they'll suffer significant hearing loss because they are constantly being subjected to (or subjecting themselves to) extremely high decibel noise levels.

I had to hold my hands over my grandson's ears when we were in Philharmagic. I, too, worry about the next generation being hearing-impaired.

Septbride2002
08-27-2009, 02:46 PM
What?

:fresh:

Tink2002
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I took an audiology class last year and our instructor was the Aud. for the hearing clinic on our campus. She told us that it is sad but true that due to all of the loud music, shows, and even ipod use they are seeing noise-induced hearing loss in many more young people than before. We actually learned that it's only safe to listen to your ipod at 60% volume for 60 minutes - I know MANY MANY people who blow that rule to shreds. :paranoid:

Granny Jill A
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm amazed that people can hear anything. Once those little hairs are destroyed, they're gone for good.

I guess I'd better buy stock in hearing aids :)

TikiGoddess
08-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I think I too will be buying stock in hearing aids! Yes, I totally agree that shows, movies, attractions, and public places are way too loud.

I have found that the further back you sit in a movie theater, the quieter it is. That might help a little...

Kathy

DisneyDog
08-30-2009, 05:06 PM
I had to laugh while reading this because it made me think of my DH. He is a drummer. Plays/teaches drumset and marching percussion. He has spent many, many years around drumlines and cymbal lines. You would think that he would have suffered some hearing loss. Nope! The guy has the most sensitive hearing ever. It's practically super-human. I have normal hearing and he's always telling me that I'm deaf and need to get my ears checked.

Marilyn Michetti
08-31-2009, 04:53 PM
I hate to say this, but the absolute worst "loud" is in church. Most contemporary worship teams are outrageously offensive.:)

Granny Jill A
09-16-2009, 01:39 PM
I hate to say this, but the absolute worst "loud" is in church. Most contemporary worship teams are outrageously offensive.:)

Yup! You're right about that. Loud is IN, even in your friendly house of worship.

jillluvsdisney
09-16-2009, 05:49 PM
On my lunch hour last week I went to Jimmy John's to get a sandwich. The music was playing so LOUD, I had to yell my order at the cashier. I asked if there was reason the music had to be so loud and it was just stupid to have to yell to make myself heard. Thankfully it was a take out order. I don't know how someone could have sat in there and not gotten a headache.

Granny Jill A
09-17-2009, 03:47 PM
On my lunch hour last week I went to Jimmy John's to get a sandwich. The music was playing so LOUD, I had to yell my order at the cashier. I asked if there was reason the music had to be so loud and it was just stupid to have to yell to make myself heard. Thankfully it was a take out order. I don't know how someone could have sat in there and not gotten a headache.

There are places I won't go because of the irritating and LOUD music. I think the employees get to pick their music, and the rest of us better like it or leave - ha!

Mousefever
09-18-2009, 01:51 PM

I don't know if our worship band is loud. (It's hard to tell from on stage.) But if it is, I have to pass the buck to the sound guy! Of course, he's in his 60's, so if he has us too loud, it's probably because he is hard of hearing! :D

Amy