PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Sign

Ms. Mode
08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
This is kinda a dumb question, but why did they take the "Epcot" sign and Mickey mitt off the golfball at Epcot? :confused:

Scar
08-26-2009, 12:25 PM
That's not a dumb question. What is dumb is why they put it on in the first place, which thankfully they realized and is why they removed it.

Tygger7
08-26-2009, 12:31 PM
The sign was never intended to be permanent, and they removed it during the refurb of Spaceship Earth in 2007/2008.

ransam
08-26-2009, 11:11 PM
it was never a major thing to me, but i'm glad they took it off...especially the "EPCOT"...i mean did we realliy need to be told where we were?

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-26-2009, 11:17 PM
This is kinda a dumb question, but why did they take the "Epcot" sign and Mickey mitt off the golfball at Epcot? :confused:

It was added for the Millennium Celebration where it read 2000, and instead of taking it down, they just changed the 2000 to Epcot (which in my mind probably entailed more work than just dismantling it in the first place).

They finally took it down a few years ago, and to be honest, it's better that way. It's not like the other park icons have the park names hanging over them in giant ostentatious letters.

sorcerer fan
08-27-2009, 09:39 AM
don't want to start a war, but I liked the hand. the "golf ball" looks bla without it now

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-27-2009, 10:21 AM
don't want to start a war, but I liked the hand. the "golf ball" looks bla without it now

Myself and a lot of people prefer it without it simply because that's the way it was when the park opened. Most people who liked it (and I'm not saying everyone) tend to not have seen it in person prior to that wand being added, so that's all they know.

The wandless Spaceship Earth reminds us of a bygone Epcot that has long since passed into obscurity.

GrumpyFan
08-27-2009, 10:24 AM
It's also been rumored, that the new sponsor for Spaceship Earth, Siemens, wasn't fond of the wand. Also, it was rumored that Imagineering wasn't too fond of it either. So, when the new sponsorship took over and they had the opportunity to remove it, they did, and very quickly. The whole thing was gone in less than 45 days, and pretty much destroyed.

For the sake of maintaining peace, and letting it rest, can we refrain from the like/dislike comments? The whole topic was discussed ad nauseam many times. It's gone now, whether you liked it or not, it's not coming back. So, let's not re-open that wound, please!

Stich8818
08-27-2009, 10:29 AM
2007. It was down before the 25th of Epcot.

For me I didnt mind the wand as much, but it was the fact that it was a Sorcrer MIckey arm..didnt fit with Epcot.

TheRustyScupper
08-27-2009, 11:56 AM
It's also been rumored, that the new sponsor for Spaceship Earth, Siemens, wasn't fond of the wand.

1) No rumor.
2) This was contract term.
3) Mentioned specifically.

NOTE: One of the guys on out speaker's bureau was involved in the negotiations. Some really interesting tales he had to tell ! From what he said, the wand & "Epcot" sign was something WDW fought to keep.

Jasper
08-27-2009, 12:08 PM
This is the first time I have heard that Siemens (sp?) was the reason it was taken down. All I can say is thank God for Siemens!

I also agree with the other comment on the way the opinions were split on like/dislike of the arm. In following that thread several years ago it was pretty clear that opinions were split very strongly based on whether your first live view was with or without it. I think that would have made for a very interesting case study of human nature.

Giggy
08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
For the sake of maintaining peace, and letting it rest, can we refrain from the like/dislike comments? The whole topic was discussed ad nauseam many times. It's gone now, whether you liked it or not, it's not coming back. So, let's not re-open that wound, please!

I wasn't on intercot when this was discussed....

.....luckily I don't mind whether the wand is there or not. :secret:

Scar
08-27-2009, 01:33 PM

You do realize that you can choose to not participate in such a debate and even not read the thread don't you? As long as Intercot's TOS are not being violated, why do you care what a thread (that you didn't start) should be about?

GrumpyFan
08-27-2009, 01:45 PM
You do realize that you can choose to not participate in such a debate and even not read the thread don't you? As long as Intercot's TOS are not being violated, why do you care what a thread (that you didn't start) should be about?

Yep, I realize it's a free Internet/web-site/discussion... and if I don't like it, then I don't have to read it or post to it... Been doing this Internet/Intercot thing for a few years now, heck I've even read the TOS and argued with the Mods about them, and I think caused a slight change to them because of one of my posts, but that's another story for another time. I was just making a plea to let it rest. But, if everyone decides to drag it back out for discussion, then so be it.

Marceline
08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
The wandless Spaceship Earth reminds us of a bygone Epcot that has long since passed into obscurity.

:sob: So true so true. So sad too. *sigh* :cry:

Gator
08-27-2009, 03:09 PM
I really liked both versions. The without version is a pure version and is beautiful in it's own right. The with version was very Disney and very Mickey, and you can't go wrong with that.

Here's a question: how can I get a piece of reflector or something from the wand. I'd love to have it.

AvonleaCF
08-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I vote to stop referring to Spaceship Earth as a golf ball.

Marceline
08-27-2009, 05:10 PM

I agree.....it's a geodesic sphere. :geek2:

:thumbsup::mickey:

TheRustyScupper
08-27-2009, 11:31 PM

1) I agree.
2) But, that is like asking people to
. . . not refer to a tissue as a Kleenex
. . . not refer to a photocoy as a Xerox
. . . not refer to cool box as a Frig

Mickey91
08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Well, like it or not, I wish they would have left the whole thing alone! The refurb totally ruined it! I liked the wand/hand, but can live without it. What I can't live with is being talked to like a kindergartener by a cow!

disneykid@hrt
08-27-2009, 11:40 PM
I agree.....it's a geodesic sphere. :geek2:

:thumbsup::mickey:

LOL!! Geodesic Sphere... I'm gonna write that one down and pull it out when we get to Epcot!! LOL. Love it!

jenperich
08-30-2009, 05:57 AM

I liked it too. It was really pretty at night, when generally it was sparkling as you walked out...very "magical".

Mickey- who talks to you as a cow?

JPL
08-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Mickey- who talks to you as a cow?

I believe Mickey is talking about the wonderful :rolleyes: Judi Dench Narration :ack:

LOL!! Geodesic Sphere... I'm gonna write that one down and pull it out when we get to Epcot!! LOL. Love it!

What's so funny? It really is a Geodesic Sphere

Mickey91
08-31-2009, 12:41 AM
[quote=JPL;1948711]I believe Mickey is talking about the wonderful :rolleyes: Judi Dench Narration :ack:

Yep! You nailed it! :ack:

Jeff G
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
As compared to the ride ending the "cow" isn't all that bad:ack:.