PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green (military WDW on-site hotel) VS. WDW on-site hotels.

pmwolfe
08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I am visiting WDW with my wife in mid-November. I already have a room staying at the Shades of Green (SOG)…military hotel…but I have up to 30 days before to cancel those room arrangements. Even though it is consider an on-site hotel it is totally independent from WDW on-site hotels. What I see there are a couple of pros and cons with staying at one of those (2) places. The # 1 pro for staying at the SOG, the rooms are comparable with the "deluxe" hotel accommodations of WDW but paying for a price of “value” hotel accommodations of WDW. The negative for staying at SOG is there is no free transportation from the airport to WDW as there is staying at a WDW hotel. I figure the cost of transportation round trip will be around $100.00 plus. The other thing I heard is that SOG has their own bus shuttle that takes you around the WDW sites which is suppose to run on the top and bottom of the hours….which I heard they do not do well with staying on that schedule. The pros for staying at WDW hotels are the transportation from and to the airport…and the on-site buses are almost continuous. Any comments or suggestions out there? One last question. I believe the monorail is less than a ˝ of mile from the SOG…close enough to walk to. What WDW sites does the monorail take you to?

DisneyMiMi
08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
We have stayed at Shades of Green twice and are going back in Oct. The rooms are large and roomy - queen size beds! Housekeeping is very good and everyone we have encountered has been extremely pleasant and helpful. We have had no problems with the buses leaving when they are scheduled to leave; as well as pick up when scheduled. The restaurants are great and inexpensive compared to the WDW resorts. You can walk across the grounds and you're at the Polynesian hotel and can pick up the monorail there. It will take you to the TTC - makes a loop through the Contemporary and Grand Floridian hotels. You have the benefit of the AAFES store on site. We have nothing but good things to say about Shades of Green and think you will like it also. We drive so I can not give you any insight on travel from the airport. I hope this helps.

DisneyMiMi
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Forgot one important item for us - the hotel is not saturated with Disney - in other words, it is nice to come back to a quiet hotel and relax. They have heated pools (2 I think), beautiful grounds but above all - quiet. And after a noisy, fun-filled day in the parks, we have really appreciated this aspect of the hotel.

Pirate Granny
08-26-2009, 10:29 PM
We liked it, but my adult DD did not...we actually stayed on site the first and last night so that we could get the free transportation to the world...I found the bus service very good and never crowded...and we did walk a few times to the GF...actually, the GF would give us a ride back to the SoG in golf carts...
:pirate:

pcoleman
08-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Have stayed several times and it is our favorite. Love the relaxed, safe feeling in the lap of luxury without the price. The rooms are the largest of any Disney hotel. Always found the bus system great. If you are in a hurry, 5 minute walk to poly and you can catch a Disney bus or the monorail. If too tired can also get a golf cart to take you. I have found I save much more by staying here to offset the cost of travel from airport. I usually make arrangements before we leave to be picked up with a grocery stop. I you stay on th first floor between both pools you can sit on your patio and watch Wishes. Have fun.

larjani
08-30-2009, 05:21 PM
We thought about staying at the SOG for our December trip, but did not since Disney is offering 40% off their hotel rooms. Plus as you said SOG doesn't have a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel like Disney does. Also we used the Dining plan on our last trip, and it was awesome. We wanted to do that again. It would be nice if somehow SOG offered the transportation service, and Disney dining plan.

redleg96
08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
There are so many perks to staying at an actual WDW resort right now that aren't available at SoG. Like another poster said, no dining plan, 40% off at WDW property, and transportation that is hit or miss at SoG. We'll be staying at SoG for one evening in Dec before we check into the Poly for the remainder of our vacation. Also, at Category 3 pricing, while the rooms are huge, it's just not that great of a value for us. Plus, the monorail at the Poly will be great.

Marilyn Michetti
08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
SOG is awesome. You can hear the train on Main St., and you can see the fireworks from some of the rooms, and for sure the pool.

Imagine waking up in the morning and seeing deer and wild turkey on that beautiful golf course. It's just so peaceful.:thumbsup: