PDA

View Full Version : out of pocket dining

jonahbear2006
08-26-2009, 02:48 AM
we have two days where I believe we wont have enough food. I have to book 2 out of pocket dinners, due to signature dining. The options we have decided upon are;

Cape may cafe-breakfast
Boma-breakfast
Grand Floridian Cafe-Lunch
Garden Grill-lunch
Trails end-dinner
T-rex-dinner
Akershus-dinner
Boma-dinner

at least one has to be breakfast.

Tigger&Stitch
08-26-2009, 03:27 AM
For breakfast, I'd recommend something not on your list - O'hana (unless you are already planning to eat there?).

For dinner, I highly recommend Boma, although I hear T-Rex is interesting!

Ms. Mode
08-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Garden Grill has great food and characters for a reasonable price :thumbsup:

Disneyfun
08-26-2009, 08:41 AM
They way that I choose my out of pocket meals when on the DDP is what's going to hit my pocket the least! It's a bit mercenary, but money is money and the dining experiences are ussually all great!

From your list I would choose:

Cape May Cafe - breakfast
Garden Grill - Lunch

Other suggestions:

1900 Park Faire - breakfast with Mary Poppins, Alice, Mad Hatter, etc. and the food is great!
Ohana's - breakfast with Lilo & Stitch!
Crystal Palace - breakfast - try to get an ADR before park opening for a truely magical experience!

Hope this helps!

Jeff T
08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I would drop T-Rex from your list. We had dinner there in late July. The food and service was terrible....the high prices made the experience even worse. The kids enjoyed the dinosaurs, but they hardly touched their food. The overall experience took 2 painful hours.

Cape May Cafe has a great breakfast, and the GF Cafe serves a very good lunch and dinner. The GF Cafe is usually not very busy unless Park Place is closed.

Enjoy!

renecat
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Cape May is a great choice for breakfast and GF cafe is good for lunch or dinner.

Tinkerbella16
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I would recommend for Breakfast:

Cape May Cafe
Crystal Palace
or
BOMA

For Dinner:

T-Rex since its not on the DDP anyway, I have heard great reviews and its a really cool atmosphere!

jonahbear2006
08-26-2009, 01:16 PM
we have 11 other restaurants and 1900 park fare twice. I like boma and its been awhile since weve been here, so its an option for either or. I hear the grand floridian cafe has an amazing grand sandwich that is overlooked by most regulars even. We have ohanas on the list already too. hmm...I think, Grand Floridian cafe for lunch and boma for breakfast sounds good.
Im really disappointed to hear the bad review on t-rex. that is saddening. we haven't even eaten there yet. Cape may, i cant make a decision about. I dont ever have enough people come forward and say they love it.

jonahbear2006
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Garden Grill has great food and characters for a reasonable price :thumbsup:

this is true, AND has a revolving dining room, right? this is neat! I am sooo conflicted. *sigh* I love disney dining!

jonahbear2006
08-27-2009, 04:37 PM
So..... I got cold feet, worried about the loss of the double credits on my dining and cancelled the California Grill at firework seating. Is that bad? lol. One of my friends told me I needed to be smacked. I was deeply saddened by missing Animal kingdoms evening magic hours though cause we feel that park is better in the evening, otherwise its almost intolerable for us. Traded it in for an evening boma and a breakfast boma. Also booked an Akershus for noon and a liberty tree tavern, in attempts to cancel our Narcoossee's reservation as well. Im not sure we are cut out for those high society menus. We like kid food, american cuizine, and buffets. I wanted Garden Grill but it was not available AT ALL during our trip. . . What is UP with THAT? is this a high demand restaurant?

SingingLights
08-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Our worst, and only bad, dining experience at WDW was at the Garden Grill. We made late dinner plans so we could do some things we usually miss during the dinner hour. It was clear that we were a burden to the wait staff and two of the characters spent about 15 seconds with my DD and spent 10 or 15 minutes performing lude act with a group of college kids, a couple of tables down from us. After an hour of not getting refills for our drinks, waiting for refills to our dinner and no dessert we left. A couple of days later I returned to EPCOT's customer service and told our story to the CM. I received a polite apoligy from the CM but as bad it as it was I really expected to receive a call or letter from the manager of the restuarant but I DIDN'T.:mad:

Now I just recommend people not go there.

Ksmith75
08-30-2009, 04:29 PM
This place would be great. They have a huge menu and are not expensive. I got the Layers of Earth lasagna - very good...HUGE portions - you do not need an appetizer....it is fun too - just make sure to make ressies - as it is so busy...but worth it!