PDA

View Full Version : Pool Peeve

5 Mousekteers
08-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Just venting....staying at AKV, the lifeguards closed the pool just before they went off duty at 9pm due to lightning. Well all the storms are long gone and the radar map is clear, but the signs are still up. We with a couple other families went and sat in one of the hot tubs but were asked to leave by security. Not a problem, I understand they are just doing their job. My gripe is this, the last couple of nights after the lifeguards went off duty (swim at your own risk) pool sign says the pool is open 24hrs, thunderstorms came through and nobody came out and posted signs or asked people to leave the pool. Checked with the front desk, they said that since the guards closed the pool due to the lightning prior to going off duty that it would not be re-opened until they come back on duty..... I just think this policy needs some work. It's our last night of vac, and we always enjoy one last swim in the pool with our kids before heading to bed for the night. Just a nice way to end the vacation. Some of the "Magic" was lost tonight on an otherwise great vacation.

Disneyfun
08-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Having grown up in the area, thunderstorms can be very dangerous for swimmer. I am probably telling you things that you already know, but lightning can strike from miles away and those storms roll in very quickly in Orlando. Florida has more lightning strikes than any where in the US (and the world I think) and the Orlando area has more strikes than anywhere in Florida.

I know it probably doesn't help, but I would say that if the pool was closed due to lightning that it was probably needed and one would be best to adhere to that instruction. The last thing that you want is to have an injury on the last day of your vacation.

I can certainly understand your frustration at losing out on a tradition though - very upsetting to have monkeywrenches thrown in your plans any time, but atleast it was just swimming instead of something more serious or expensive.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Ick! I can understand your frustration!

I am so grateful that Disney takes safety seriously, and closes the pools when necessary, but I'm surprised that they stay "closed" all night, even if there is no longer any risk.

I would have thought that security could remove the signs once the radar is clear, seems a bit silly that only the lifeguards can remove them, even though they aren't working again for 12 hours!

cfoshe
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Disneyfun;1946192]Having grown up in the area, thunderstorms can be very dangerous for swimmer. I am probably telling you things that you already know, but lightning can strike from miles away and those storms roll in very quickly in Orlando. QUOTE]

The issue is not that, the issue was that the only person that can remove a pool closed sign is the Life guards that put it out and went home. The means until they showed up the next day the pool was closed. I would be venting too, because the storms were probly long gone, and to me that is odd to close a 24 hr pool for 6-10 hours because life guards are the only ones that can take down a sign. It sounds to me that it was just a lazy CM that did not want to take action.

Granny Jill A
08-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Lightning is a funny thing. I read about a guy in Colorado who was standing on a mountain under a clear blue sky. He was struck by lightning that came from five miles away. Weird, huh!

Nothing scares me more than to see that flash of light, especially in Florida :scared: