PDA

View Full Version : Break room in Mission: Space?

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
My son and I were in the queue for Mission: Space last week when we noticed a large flat-screen TV (with a news program--non-Disney being displayed) in a room on the second floor of this attraction, overlooking the queue area. Through the clear glass walls we were also able to see tables and chairs and a couple of people walking about. Eventually they exited the room via a door underneath the TV. Later in the day the TV and room was dark and the people were gone. I had never noticed this before. For those in the know--is this a break room for cast members? It just seemed out of place for us to be able to see "behind the scenes", so to speak.

Mufasa
08-25-2009, 11:55 AM
You spotted the HP lounge- for employees of the attraction sponsor and their guests. There's a entrance ramp to the lounge to the left of the attraction entrance that is a little tucked away where after stopping at a reception area decorated with some concept art for the attraction, you head up a staircase to the actual second floor lounge. It is only open usually on weekdays from 9am - 5pm.

The lounge overlooks both the entrance queue and the post-show areas. Also, that "secret" door you spotted underneath the TV actually just leads to one of those video postcard recording kiosks (the same as in the post-show area).

Originally that was set to be administrative office space and the lounge was to be housed in a section of the building to the right of the attraction entrance (not easy to spot when looking at the attraction entrance, but you might spot a cube like structure on the right of the building towards test track that would have been the original lounge but those plans changed I believe with the merger of HP and Compaq).

CMs have a break area/trailer backstage directly behind the attraction but it's also not really that far to the main Epcot cast services building either.

vicster
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Test Track also has a break room and offices upstairs - there's a secret elevator for GM employees. It's really nice when we need a relaxing break.

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Mufasa, I knew you would be able to explain this one--thanks! I'm surprised I never noticed the room before.

Melanie
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Glad you got your answer Beth! :thumbsup:

Mufasa
08-25-2009, 01:28 PM
If you go on the Undiscovered Future World Epcot Tour then they will often make a tour stop in the lounge (some call it the Red Planet Room)

It is probably the smallest of the hospitality lounges- certainly not like Base 21 which is Siemens lounge in Spaceship Earth which also serves as a conference center for them and has a nice view of the Fountain of Nations plaza and pretty flashy among the lounges as being a showcase for their company's offerings. Even just getting access to the lounge required registering for an assigned PIN number ahead of time on the Siemens corporate intranet.

You can sometimes spot the former United Technologies lounge in the Seas pavilion from within the attraction if you know where the windows are for the Coral Reef restaurant, then look just above and you'll spot the windows for that lounge. It was one of the more interesting and lavish interiors, particularly for this clear, acrylic grand piano and some stylized sculptures of fish.

Kodak's original hospitality lounge in Imagination also used to stand out in my mind for having these weird leather seats and couches which led to a very dated feel, but that was converted several years ago into administrative office space for Epcot operations if I remember correctly.

Wonders of Life lounge had one of the more whimsical interiors- a sort of country fair/circus set-up in keeping with the rest of the attraction's theme.

Ian
08-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Test Track also has a break room and offices upstairs - there's a secret elevator for GM employees. It's really nice when we need a relaxing break.Yeah, that is a great perk. It's nice to use the private restrooms up there, get a soda, and chill in the AC instead of waiting in line!

Ian
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Also, some of you may remember the short-lived AP lounge that was located on the Land pavilion's upper floor. That was previously the location of the Nestle's VIP lounge when they were the pavilion sponsor.

JohnnyNovo
08-25-2009, 06:50 PM
For the GM Test Track lounge, what does one need to enter? Im taking my father in January who just retired after 44yrs of working there. I think it might be nice to take him there.

Ian
08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
For the GM Test Track lounge, what does one need to enter? Im taking my father in January who just retired after 44yrs of working there. I think it might be nice to take him there.An GM ID card or business card with drivers license should be sufficient.

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I like to think of the sponsor lounges as the Club 33's of Epcot...only much less exclusive (and expensive)!

TheRustyScupper
08-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I like to think of the sponsor lounges as the Club 33's of Epcot...only much less exclusive (and expensive)!

But,
. . . no meals
. . . no booze
. . . no great service
. . . no outstanding atmosphere

FaithTrustPixieDust
08-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Also, some of you may remember the short-lived AP lounge that was located on the Land pavilion's upper floor. That was previously the location of the Nestle's VIP lounge when they were the pavilion sponsor.

Someone told me about this a few months ago, but none of my other Disney Experts knew about it. I thought he was pulling my leg!!

joelkfla
08-29-2009, 03:35 AM
Someone told me about this a few months ago, but none of my other Disney Experts knew about it. I thought he was pulling my leg!!
It was nice -- free hot and cold drinks, a small private bathroom, a play area for the kids, and occasional surprise visits by Mickey and others. Towards the end of the run, they cut out the drinks and closed the bathroom.

There were also two incarnations of passholder lounges at DAK. The first was an outdoor pavillion that offered offline no-waiting FastPasses, and cold bottled water. The 2nd was in a back room of Pizzafari and had a couple of free arcade games.