PDA

View Full Version : Leaving tomorrow, should we upgrade?

Imagineer1981
08-25-2009, 11:01 AM
We are leaving tomorrow (8/26) and staying at Pop. We are thinking of upgrading from Pop to a moderate, should we? Do you think the buses would be less crowded at this time at Carribean or Coronado?

Belster
08-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I am a Pop stayer....the only reason I am going to CSR this fall is because I got a great deal!!!!

While I am sure I will love CSR I also love Pop! I would not see a need to upgrade unless if you have specific reasons...keep the extra spending money. I have always found Pop buses to be efficient...keep in mind they do not share the bus with any other resort.

I vote for save money and enjoy Pop!

jonahbear2006
08-25-2009, 11:10 AM
if you can upgrade, i would....though pop is really cool. coronado, i have heard has good busses. i would prefer to have the waterslides in the pools cause my kids get a lot of use out of them and the better restaurants. i would ask for the upgrade at check in though.

darthmacho
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
If you can afford an upgrade, the moderates are wonderful places to stay. I can't say for sure, but it must be less crowded because a LOT of kids start school early around the country, especially charter schools. If you avoid Labor Day weekend, it should be less crowded. :mickey:

Ms. Mode
08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I love POP and since we spend most of the time in the parks the only time we spend at the resort is in the room sleeping. The bus service to and from POP is good, we have been there during peak seasons and never had a problem. If, however you want to spend time in the resort or at the pool CBR has a great pool :mickey:

Strmchsr
08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Keep in mind that usually in order to upgrade you have to pay direct rack rate and lose whatever package discount you have upon check in. That by itself would make me not want to do an upgrade, but if they let you upgrade without losing your discount, why not?

Beach Club Babe
08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I'd stay at Pop. We were there earlier this month and the busses were excellent. We had only one 15 min wait, all the rest were less. We always got a seat too! It was pretty crowded in the parks.

Imagineer1981
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Keep in mind that usually in order to upgrade you have to pay direct rack rate and lose whatever package discount you have upon check in. That by itself would make me not want to do an upgrade, but if they let you upgrade without losing your discount, why not?

I was told by the reservation CMs that if I upgrade to a moderate or deluxe, I just pay the difference and keep my package. If I were to try to downgrade, say from Poly to POP, then its a new reservation and you lose all discounts.

I am just concerned about POP because I have an 18month old with me, and I want the room to be comfortable and not noisy. Plus dealing with buses if they are crowded will not be fun

diz_girl
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Try someplace new and go for the upgrade. CSR doesn't share buses, is centrally located, and has queen beds, so you could try that one. But if you want access to DTD, then you might want to try POFQ, which is closer by boat to DTD, but only has double beds.

Tinkerbella16
08-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I'd do the upgrade, but to POFQ. Such a quiet, small, and beautiful resort. The boat to DTD is my favorite thing about staying there. The rooms are a bit larger w/ a fridge. You'd have a curtain by the sink area for people to change, and double sinks! I also found that the location at French Quarter & POR is very convenient. The bus rides to the park, especially MK were very short! AK though is always far from everything.

I love everything about POFQ and would upgrade in a heartbeat! :mickey:

TammiMcMan
08-26-2009, 02:43 PM
I was told by the reservation CMs that if I upgrade to a moderate or deluxe, I just pay the difference and keep my package. If I were to try to downgrade, say from Poly to POP, then its a new reservation and you lose all discounts.I know the OP has left already, but I did want to address this so it doesn't cause any confusion.

When you're on a package or have a discount and want to upgrade, Disney is obviously very happy to take more of your money. They will typically overlook any penalties you may incur due to changing a package within the 45 day mark and extend any discounts to the higher level resort. It's always best to deal with guest services though, as not all CM's know how to handle an upgrade and you could get charged the fees, not to mention losing the discount. I would definitely advise doing this in advance and not waiting until you arrive.

If you are simply on a room only reservation, upgrading on site will not give you any advantages. The registration CM's can only quote rack rates, so if there are any discounts (AAA, etc.), you'd miss out on those. Just like a package booking, it's always best to call in advance to see what's available. Even if it's just a day or two prior to arrival.