PDA

View Full Version : Best location to see the Shuttle launch??

5 Mousekteers
08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
We are staying at the AKV and are wondering where the best location in Disney would be to see the Space Shuttle launch tonight? I know it will just be a bright streak of light going through the night sky, but it still would be pretty cool to see.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are staying in Jambo House, but our room is facing towards a western savannah...

Wayne
08-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, as you already know, last night's launch was scrubbed. But there is still a possibility for Wednesday morning at approx 1:10 am. If you're at AKL, you might try Arusha Rock looking east. You might also just ask at Guest Services for suggestions.

5 Mousekteers
08-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks, let's hope the weather cooperates tonight!

Tink1
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM
We rented a car and drove over to a night launch once. It was the MOST amazing thing I ever saw. (This was of course pre 9/11 when you could just park on the causeway and walk through the trees to get a good spot. )

Was about 10 years ago and my youngest (who is now 19) still talks about it

Nanc

Maleficent_vf
08-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I am so jealous - we've just missed a couple of shuttle launches - hope it's a go while you're there. :thumbsup:

5 Mousekteers
08-25-2009, 11:42 PM
We'll it got scrubbed again, but better safe for the astronauts. Maybe I will be able to talk my DW into a quick trip for one of the launches later this year. I would really like to experience this in person before the Space Shuttles are retired.

SurferStitch
08-26-2009, 08:48 AM
We watched a launch from the deck at Narcoossee's in 2005. I couldn't believe how bright the light was! It came up from behind the Contemporary, and we were able to watch it for quite a long time before it disappeared.

Very cool. :cool: