PDA

View Full Version : Help please, CBR or POR

Mad About Mickey
08-23-2009, 11:59 PM
DW and I are looking to return to WDW the second week of December and have the option of POR water view or CBR pirate room for the same price. Since we are traveling without the children I must say I am leaning towards POR with the romantic notion of the old south and the carrige rides.

Our main concerns are busing to the parks, walking distances around the resort and dining at the resort. We are open to all sugestions and welcome everyone to chime in with their opinions. Thank you in advance :mickey:.

DisneyPrincess21
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM
DW and I are looking to return to WDW the second week of December and have the option of POR water view or CBR pirate room for the same price. Since we are traveling without the children I must say I am leaning towards POR with the romantic notion of the old south and the carrige rides.

Our main concerns are busing to the parks, walking distances around the resort and dining at the resort. We are open to all sugestions and welcome everyone to chime in with their opinions. Thank you in advance :mickey:.

Hello, I am also taking a trip to WDW right before yours.

I have never stayed at either resort, but I did visit POR last year during my stay at POFQ and I have to say I didn't care for it, Plus the pictures of the rooms themselves aren't that pretty IMHO.

I am staying at CBR for the first time in December and sprung for the pirate room. I picked this resort because it is the only moderate resort with a white sandy beach and nothing says vacation to me like laying on a beach in the "Caribbean". Plus it has an awesome newly redone pool with a spanish fortress theme. Every village has it's own quiet pool and laundry room. So if you want to enjoy a less crowded pool you always have that option as well.
And to me the new pirate room's are the most truly "themed" out of any of the moderates. The other moderates just seem like hotel rooms, but in the pirate room you know you are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort. It is done in the pirate's theme all the way down to the fridge being shaped like a barrel, and the carpet looks like it is wooden planks. Plus the food court looks really neat, it looks like you are walking around a small town with shops, the ceiling is painted to look like the sky. Cbr seems to have a lot more food choices then the other moderates. And even though it is a fairly large resort they have an internal bus system that will take you to each "village" and the gift shop and food court.

:tink:
Which ever you pick I hope you have a magical vacation!

RAIDER
08-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Well i have been to the CBR a few times ,but not POR .

The CBR is a very big resort and near DTD . If you havent got a rental you will have to bus it around the various sections of the complex . Port Royale is the port of call for where the main pool and dining is as well as the boat rentals .So you need to be close to their if you have no car rental .

The resort has private pools and the atmosphere is very relaxing and romantic in its own way

I love the place and you wont be dissapointed if you end up staying there :thumbsup:

Tinkerbella16
08-24-2009, 07:36 AM
I have been to all of the moderates, and by far POFQ is my favorite for many different reasons.

But between CBR and POR, I'd pick POR. They are both big resorts, but POR is just peaceful and quiet. You'll have the boat to DTD which was great. Boatwrights is far better than Shutters IMO. The pictures of POR rooms do no justice, they really are nicer in person.

WDWCrazyKaren
08-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I love POR for taking the boat to Downtown Disney. Such a great trip in the evenings. I love POR though.

CleveRocks
08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Well i have been to the CBR a few times ,but not POR .

The CBR is a very big resort and near DTD . If you havent got a rental you will have to bus it around the various sections of the complex . Port Royale is the port of call for where the main pool and dining is as well as the boat rentals .So you need to be close to their if you have no car rental .

The resort has private pools and the atmosphere is very relaxing and romantic in its own way

I love the place and you wont be dissapointed if you end up staying there :thumbsup:I respectfully disagree with the statement that you need a car if staying at CBR. If you are of average health and don't have any physical trouble associated with normal walking, then CBR is quite walkable.

And also, POR is closer to DTD than is CBR.

POR is nearly as large and spread out. And when I recently stayed at Polynesian, our room was as far from the Poly's counter-service location as CBR's food court is from the farthest village (Trinidad South) ... I know this to be accurate because I measured the distances on a runners website.

mdhiggin
08-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Initially I did not care for POR. We stayed in the plantation looking buildings but now that we have five in our family, we stay in the Alligator Bayou. I like it much better, because I prefer rustic decor. I have also stayed at CBR but not the pirate rooms. I would really like to stay there again but would have to get two rooms for five. (We've had an addition since that trip.)
My advice: You can't go wrong as long as you're at Disney. We go to a different hotel on each trip. It's part of the adventure. Pick one for this trip and do the next one in the future.

Disney Doll
08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
We've been to both and both were nice, but the pirate room doesn't really say romance does it? The carriage rides at POR looked wonderful (we never tried it) and the boat to DTD is very relaxing. POR is gorgeous and I would love a water view room. For a romantic adult trip I would recommend POR.

As for your specific concerns:
1. Busing- it seems like the bus service was better at POR because there were fewer stops and the resort just seems less crowded. However, I think bus service was pretty good at both.

2. The grounds are beautiful and we love walking at the resorts just to enjoy the scenery. I think POR has better grounds, but that's just my opinion.

3. Dining- We eat most of our meals at the parks, but we did have a few occasions to eat at both food courts. I have to say I like the look and theme of the CBR food court better, but we liked the food at POR better. I think DH snuck down to have a roast beef and blue cheese sammie from POR food court nearly every night.

Frog
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
We (wife and three girls) loved POR
Not too far to walk to anything...
Bus transportation was great, never a long wait for anything...
Food court was perfect...
Pools were scatered about with the main pool and slide very nice...
would go again, except we love to try new things...
This is one of the few options for families with 5 by the way...

Wrigley
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
If it were me, I would go with CBR. It is my favorite moderate by far. The resort is large, but definately walkable. I happen to like how it is spread out. I love the relaxed feel of the resort too. We really enjoy Old Port Royal, which has the food court (very good by the way), the arcade, the store, and the main pool is right outside also. Each "island" has it's own quiet pool which are usually pretty empty. We are looking forward to returning in OCt!!:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Have stayed at both and hands down would pick CBR!!!!! Much more of a vacation feel for us, and I think it's much more romantic. I don't find the walking there a problem at all (and we did a little hiking to catch the bus at POR!).

Seasonscraps
08-24-2009, 11:45 PM
I would always pick POR over CBR.

They have a boat to DTD - I love any alternate to buses.
The pool area is nice with a nice lounge.
The food court was recently renonvated.
Piano Bob in the River Roost.
Boatrights serves a good hearty meal.
Carraige Rides.
Walks along the river.
They are walking distance to POFQ.

Mad About Mickey
09-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Thank you to everyone for their opinions, they were greatly appreciated. By the time we booked our trip for Dec 6th - 11th neither POR or CBR was available. POFQ was the only moderate available so Disney has already made the choice for us. We are excited about POFQ since it is smaller than the others and seems like it will be a more romantic than the other mods, nice since we are leaving the children back in New England with granny and grampy this time. We are looking forward to an evening stroll and/or carriage ride along the river and taking the boat to DTD :mickey:.

buzz2001
09-07-2009, 08:15 AM
POR without kids and CBR with kids.

#1donaldfan
09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
...you'll like the FQ, and if you want to visit Riverside, it's just a short walk or boat ride away.....have fun.....:mickey:

jkjs
09-07-2009, 10:06 AM
You'll love POFQ. It is our fave mod & second only to WL overall.

We love it's size, themeing & proximity to DtD. The resort is intimate with very short walk times from bus/main bld to any room. We love the decor & grounds.

It's the sister resort for POR & shares amenities. It doesn't have a full service site but with POR & DtD a stones throw away there are plenty of places to eat.

The food court is small but has most anything you could want plus one more thing most if any do. Benignets! Yum!

We have enjoyed all of the mods so it's hard to go wrong. Have a wonderful time.

Tigerinvestigator
09-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Stayed at both resorts and prefer POR. Both resorts are huge and can require alot of walking. POR has a boat to DTD and POFQ which gives you more to do at the resort itself. Food courts are similar. Unless you are excited about the pirate room I would choose POR!:thumbsup: