PDA

View Full Version : Disney with a service Dog

thumperbug
08-23-2009, 07:37 PM
My Mom and her service dog will be joining me and my family on our next trip to WDW. Mom had a stroke several years back at a young age and needs the service dog to help her with her balance and to do things for her since she has restricted mobility on one side of her body. She is not 100% mobile but does not need a wheel chair and refuses to use one. She has all the certification etc needed for the service dog. I know the parks have special areas for the dogs to do their business and that they are not allowed on certain rides.

Has anyone experienced WDW with a service dog? My Mom has a friend who just came back and said the experience with the service dog was not as she would have expected including having issues with getting a GAC.

Looking for feedback. Thanks

Turk82
08-24-2009, 01:28 AM
I went to WDW last November with my service dog and had a WONDERFUL experience! We stayed at Pop and had help every step of the way. I was traveling with my parents and was surprised at how easy everything was (I am blind and use a guide dog), I expected to possibly need to use Disney's kennels (even just part time, esp. at Animal Kingdom) and never did even once. I carried a portable water bowl, and often gave her ice (many of the vendors selling water, etc, were happy to let me take a couple of ice cubes out to give to my dog). As far as relieving areas, they seemed adequate...not really the most accessible, but I was always accompanied by a CM who was very friendly and helpful. At Guest Services, they have a "guide for disabilities" park map that outlines the relief areas for service animals. I found that it was helpful to carry a copy of this map (even though I couldn't read it!) to show the cast member in that area and ask where it was (many were unaware that there was a relief area in any particular location). I also found that I needed to adjust my plan of attack to help me be near a relief area as necessary. Also, depending on the time of year you go, the pavement in FL can get very HOT! I don't know if your mother's dog has shoes or not, but I would consider them very important (even though Jolene hates hers!) in the warmer weather. I would love to hear about your experiences! If you have any other specific questions, I would be happy to help !

thumperbug
08-25-2009, 07:13 PM
thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it and will let you know how it goes