PDA

View Full Version : Kouzzina Review

OogieBoogieMan
08-23-2009, 08:39 AM
We managed to get reservations for Kouzzina on 8/22 for dinner and had a great time.

We started with the Kouzzina Sampler for an appetizer and chose the lamb meatball and chicken skewers. It also came with a hummus, pita bread, olives and cashews. It was very good, a sampling of flavors for sure. I also became happy that I didn't order the lamb burger for dinner after tasting the meatball. Lamb has a very distinctive flavor and for my taste, using it in a meatball, or hamburger for that matter, messes with my head. It just isn't the flavor I am expecting and I enjoy it less. I am sure a lamb lover might feel otherwise, so don't let it stop you from trying it.

I had the Fisherman's Stew. I am somewhat adventurous when it comes to food but this meal violates one of my baisc rules - I don't eat anything that resembles on my my plate what it looked like when it roamed the earth - think lobster or a whole fish. I make an exception for clams and mussels but they have to be prepared properly. Everything in the dish was great and the sauce was very flavorful, if a bit spicy. In fact, I chose a white wine since a chardonnay was recommended but I suggest you get a bold red if you try this dish. The spice in the sauce just overwhelmed the wine, a red zin would have been more appropriate IMHO. All fish does not need white wine.

My wife had the Pastitsio Lasagna and it was wonderful. It is a large protion and served very hot, so be prepared. One of our little ones needed the bathroom when the food arrived (don't they always) and my wife had no problem making the trip as her food was still too hot to eat when she returned. The cinnamon in the lasagna worked very well and it tasted authentic, but for the unitiated you won't mistake this for Grandma's lasagna, so read the menu. I actually prefer this to tradional Italian lasagna, but then again, I am not Italian.

For dessert, my wife had the semolina custard and I had the greek cookies. Both were tasty, although I would expect to find something comparable at most Disney restaurants. To be fair, it seems that the Bundino Cake is the signature dish but our stomachs just weren't up to it. We also had the pressed coffee, which the first time around was a cup of grinds, but they got it right the second time.

On the complaint, or rather minor gripe, side since it is still a soft opening, there were a few missteps. The server was clearly new to both the restaurant and the job. Little things, like forgetting to put bread on the table and having to ask the same question three times. ( One of my kids wanted grated cheese for their kids macaroni. I literally asked three times and the server said he would check. It never showed up and I subsequently saw a dish on another table with grated cheese on top, so they definitely had it). They were also completely out of the two greek beers on the menu and all of the Coranation wine, which doesn't strike me as great planning given they have been serving dinner for a week.

All in all though a wonderful experience and we will be back to try some of the other dishes that caught our eye, most notably the flank steak and the pork t-bone. We are here for eight more days so maybe I will have a follow up. Defintely give it a shot. One final note, they do offer the Tables in Wonderland discount so bring your card. I wasn't sure since it was new restaurant but it was no problem.

If you have any questions just let me know!

mouseketeer mom
08-23-2009, 09:20 AM
We are thinking of trying this in November. My kids will all be Disney "adults"..all soon 10 and over. Is there anything not so adventuress for their tastebuds? The flank steak maybe? And also, is this a "dress up" kind of place or is it more casual?

Hammer
08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the review. The food sounds really good. I think some of the glitches should be worked out in the next few weeks as they get the kinks out (what condiments are available, more practice at making pressed pots, etc.). They do need to make sure they have adequate supplies, though.

I would like to make a request, though. Could you pick up a copy of the menu and scan it to [email protected]? Ellen, one of the other dining moderators, is also at WDW this week and hoped to eat at Kouzzina and plans to get menus, but in case she is not able to eat there, it would help us out.

MinnieMommie
08-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the review. I really got a good feel for the food from what you describe. I'm sure they will work out some of the kinks you describe. French pressed coffee is something we all pay more for and expect to be well above par so it will be essential for them to get this basic procedure down. :mickey:

mudpuppysmom
08-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the review.....it's making me feel a little more at ease about taking the kids.....what you described is stuff that my kids would eat as well as DH and I.

OogieBoogieMan
08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Just following up on a couple of questions. I will be back in the area and should be able to grab a menu.

As for the kids, the menu does have a flank steak that I saw on another table that I thinks kids would eat, assuming they like steak. There is also a chicken dish that struck me as low key. Our oldest is 10 and they knew it but they had no problem serving him the kids macaroni. If he were 15 it might have been a different issue but it can't hurt to ask.

The dress code is casual, more Spoodles than Flying Fish, so don't be concerned on that front.

BluewaterBrad
08-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info!:mickey:

tinksmom02
08-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Thought I'd bump this back up, see if anyone else has anything to add...

and to the OP, I don't think you had children with you, so you probably didn't notice a kids' menu? I've seen a sample somewhere, but I've also heard that there is steak on the kids' menu (which the sample didn't offer). Just curious, thanks!

OogieBoogieMan
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Actually, we had all three kids with us and I don't recall a kids steak. I asked them for a menu and they gave it to me but I don't believe the kids selections are on it. I know for sure there was elbows with meat sauce and kids pizza.

We went back for dinner again since we enjoyed it so much the first time and were a little less impressed but still enjoyed it. I had the t-bone pork chop and while it was fine, it was about what I would expect of a pork chop, there was nothing particularly noteworthy about it, not a comment I would make with regard to the Fisherman's Stew the previous trip. My wife went with the flank steak the second time around and had similar thoughts. It was tasty but actually quite salty, and I love salty foods.

On a higher note, they seem to have gotten their act together with the Greek beer and Cat Cora wines, both were back in stock.

johnO
09-01-2009, 11:03 AM
We're booked for Kouzzina later this month. Hopefully I enjoy it although I'm not what I would describe as an "adventureous eater". DW on the otherhand, is.

omearac
09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
We're booked for Kouzzina later this month. Hopefully I enjoy it although I'm not what I would describe as an "adventureous eater". DW on the otherhand, is.

:cloud9: Definitely an "adventureous eater". 25 days until we'll be trying it! :mickey: