PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for getting the best deals on airline tickets?

darthmacho
08-22-2009, 10:09 AM
We've always booked our trips through AAA and trusted them to get us the best deal on airline tickets. Now I have my doubts that they were doing the job.
How do you get the best deals on airline tickets? For instance, am I sure to pay through the nose if I attempt to fly Boston-Orlando on April vacation week? Would the end of summer have better deals? How about fall?

Also, do people find it better to book well in advance, or does waiting get you better deals?

Anyone feel one airline is better than others? Is Southwest the way to go these days? I don't even know if they fly to Orlando from Boston.

I know, I'm all over the place with these questions, but perhaps that conveys my uncertainty, my lack of confidence, and fears of getting ripped off. Quite frankly it's the price of plane tickets, not the price of WDW that has kept me from vacationing there for so long. Airlines are such a rip off, and a neccesary evil for getting to WDW, so the answers to any of these questions I hope will help lead me down the right path.

Thanks in advance! :thanks:

disneymom15
08-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I thought I just read somewhere that Southwest is now flying out of Boston. Check there website. I usually like to purchase air fare early for the best prices, but I've also planned last minute trips and have gotten low rates.

disneymom15
08-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I just checked, they do fly out of Boston now.

Seasonscraps
08-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I believe southwest has this Ding software you can download to your tray which will pop up with special deals.

I sign up for fare watchers with Kayak.com - this sight checks all airlines and will send current fares at any frequency you specify.

Also, check fares late tuesday night, early wednesday morning - I keep hearing that's when the fares are lowest.

sainter
08-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Airtran also flies out of Boston. We have had good luck getting good prices at good times, and mostly direct flights too with this airline. I usually will grab at $79 each way esp. if it is a direct flight. Right now they are booking out to March 10, 2010.

Tigger&Stitch
08-23-2009, 04:47 AM
My suggestion: subscribe to airfarewatchdog for your city - they will send you daily updates on deals from many airlines.

Then go to the airline site directly to purchase your tickets. It is almost impossible to get a cheaper ticket on any other site.

Good luck!

darthmacho
08-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the great tips! I am wondering though, how early is early when booking airline tickets? How far in advance do they generally book?

We're still hashing out when to go. Does anyone agree I'm likely to pay far higher prices during school vacation week, or am I making a false assumption?

poohspal
08-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi!
We are also from Ma and planning to go during April vacation. I don't know where you live, but we usually fly out of TF Greene instead of Boston. We almost always get decent deals from Southwest. I just keep checking rates, even daily. Jetblue (Boston only) is often competitive, too. With Southwest, if the rate drops after you book, you can get a credit for the difference.

We went this past Feb vacation, and paid about $200-$225 per person round trip. However, we went Tue-Tue, meaning the kids missed 2 days of school after vacation. Otherwise, it would have been much higher. I was ok with 2 days, especially as they had good attendance up to that.

You probably would get better deals on airfare in the summer, but it will most likely be more crowded, and definitely HOT. Still, anytime at Disney is better than no Disney.

I will start looking as soon as Southwest extends their dates that far. I'll post if I see any good deals.

Liz

DeniseMB
08-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Sidestep is also a good site that compares rates. :mickey:

brad817
08-23-2009, 02:23 PM
kayak.com is the way to go. You can compare airfares and even get notification if a fare goes up or down. One caveat, just about every airline EXCEPT Southwest is quoted on kayak.com, so be sure to check Southwest separately.

NotaGeek
08-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I have never understood the fight to get the lowest deal ... I generally figure out how much I want to spend ... and with that budget in mind I decide on criteria. I prefer non-stops on an airline that has a decent financial future. :)

With those things in mind I check the fares, use Ding! on Southwest, or Kayak or whomever, and when I find a fare that is in my budget I buy ... and then I don't look at it again for fear of going crazy hoping I don't miss out on a deal.

Most airlines wil give you credit if you find lower fares, but to be honest Southwest is the best in letting people use credits, they have no fees (including luggage fees) and their customer service is awsome. :plane:

Tigger&Stitch
08-23-2009, 06:08 PM
I agree that Southwest generally has the best fares/best ticketing policies/best (lack of) baggage fees. If they work for your schedule, the only strategy is to buy your ticket as soon as the dates open up on their website.

We had very specific times to meet, as we connect to/from LAX, and Southwest didn't fly at the times we needed. We also participate in the Star Alliance rewards, so it was worth it to us to find the best fares on participating airlines.

Looks like Southwest flies from your city, and might be your best bet! You may want to do a 'spot check' on current airfares to make sure Southwest is the lowest (make sure to consider all the random fees), and then just wait for them to open the dates- I think they are typically 6 months out.

BethieTink
08-25-2009, 11:33 AM
We also fly out of Boston to Orlando and I have found for the most part that Jet Blue is the best option. They don't change their schedule as often as Delta does (which irks me to no end) and they have way more direct flights than AirTran. Also, the fares are usually good, but depend on when you go. Holiday times are definitely going to be much more, but if you find the fare has lowered on Jet Blue for your flights call them and they will put the difference in an account for future travel within the year.

I just did a comparison on Delta, since Jet Blue has not opened up April yet, regarding Vacation Week and the week after (which is when we are actually going). The week of our trip April 24th to May 1st. Airfare on Delta is about $350 each for 2 adults. Airfare the week before April 17th to the 24th is $1500 per person and they even offered me the option to upgrade to First Class for an extra $200 per person. That is insane!! And it also gives me one more reason to tell our friends (who are going with us and taking their 1st grader out of school for the week) why we are going then. The big reason being my 40th birthday on the 26th, but price is now a good one.

In regard to Southwest they only fly to Baltimore and Chicago Midway out of Logan. You can connect to Orlando, but they do not have direct flights.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

darthmacho
08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
These have all been great tips. Thank you everyone that has replied so far, and I'd be happy to listen to more.

$1500 per person? This is why I despise the airline industry. I understand supply and demand, but that is simply criminal.

Also, thanks for the tip on Southwest and direct flights. To me that is important. I prefer direct flights on short trips for the obvious reasons. Why turn a 3 hour flight into a 7 or 8 hour odyssey? Only if it was choosing between that or staying home because I couldn't afford better would I agree to change planes on what should be a 3 hour flight. Our time, especially on vacation at WDW, is so precious, I feel it is more valuable than the money.

A Mouse Fan
08-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I too use Kayak to watch airfares. I just booked an airfare (for a business trip) to from SC to San Diego and found the airfares were cheapest if you booked them on Tuesday or Wednesday...the airfares seemed to drop those two days...why I have no idea! We got a decent airfare from SC to San Diego at $337 which isn't too bad for flying across the country. I have flown to Orlando for $79/each way. Just watch the airfares and wait for a deal. It's seems these days the closer you book
(30-60 days out) the better deal you will get.

SallyMcQueen
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
This may not be a concern, but don't forget to factor in the cost of checked bags. I recently was shopping around for flights to Orlando and realized that the fares between AirTran and Southwest weren't that different, maybe $50 difference, but once I started adding in checked bag fees both ways for AirTran, about $90-$120 total, the savings of taking Southwest quickly became clear since they still give you free check bags. Just something else to consider.

darthmacho
08-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Great point about the bags Sally. I originally assumed I'd go Southwest because of the no bag charge, but it appears they have no direct flights. I'd pay extra for my bags before I'd add four hours onto my trip. I just don't understand not having a Boston to Orlando direct flight when so many New Englanders travel to FL each year? :confused:

BethieTink
08-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Great point about the bags Sally. I originally assumed I'd go Southwest because of the no bag charge, but it appears they have no direct flights. I'd pay extra for my bags before I'd add four hours onto my trip. I just don't understand not having a Boston to Orlando direct flight when so many New Englanders travel to FL each year? :confused:

Southwest just started operating out of Logan last week. Since they already fly out of Manchester and Providence to Orlando with some direct flights, that may factor into it. I am sure that neither Manchester or Providence was thrilled when they decided to go to Logan at all.

Jeri Lynn
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I would research what days are cheaper to fly out on. I've heard Tuesday is a good day and Sunday is expensive. I'm sure someone on the board can give you that info.

Being from MA also I usually fly from Hartford or Providence and fly Southwest. When I was looking I found the Southwest flights out of Boston higher than the other to airports.

I've never had any luck with JetBlue.