PDA

View Full Version : Rudeness

disneymom2000
08-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I wish I could have a job walking around WDW (each day a different park) and watching the crowd and handing out rudeness cards. They would say something like - The behavior you are exhibiting has been deemed rude and/or inappropriate for WDW. Please consult the giver of this card for further direction - I would hope that I would never give any out but being there as many times as I have, I know I would run out of them everyday. Rude behavior would count as stopping unexpectedly for map reading in front of other people, cussing, rude clothing, hitting your kids, being over obnoxious, cutting in line, waiting until a show or parade starts to get a view by standing in front of someone who chose their seat an hour before it starting and sitting in handicapped area when you aren't handicapped! Please add to the list of rude behaviors if I missed anything.:nono:

Lakin
08-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Ooh, make sure to add putting kids on your shoulders when your in the front row of a parade or show.

When your at WDW at the ages of 9 and 11 that can tick you off easily!!!! I mean, if the little ones are in the extreme back and can't see a thing, put them on your shoulders. But if they're in the front row - don't! They can already see crystal clear, why do they need elevation!! All it does is block the view for everyone else. >_<

JERSEYDISFAN
08-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Probably the only thing you would accomplish is to increase littering as the offender dropped your card on the ground, yelled at you for interrupting their expensive vacation and walked away.

poohbearkris
08-22-2009, 11:09 AM
You find that rude behavior is overwhelming everywhere - at least at Diseny I think it is much less. At home, I am always letting people merge into my lane while I am driving, or let a driver through to turn, only to not even be acknowledged. How hard is it to hold up your hand and wave. My past experience at WDW has been that I have found more people being helpful and nice, especially when I have been boarding crowded buses with a stroller and tired kids. Somebody has always given up their seat for one of us so we would not have to hold the kids while standing. The only overtly rude thing that has ever happened to me was a lady rolled over my foot with a wheelchair, breaking my shoe and crushing my foot and started screaming at me for being in her way.

deedeebee
08-22-2009, 11:11 AM
You would have run out FAST in July:mad: I have never seen so many nasty, rude people in all my life!!

cather74
08-22-2009, 11:14 AM
I once saw a man get into an argument with a CM who was a nineteen year old girl. Her job was to walk (along with other CM's) the people from Liberty Square to SM/BTM area so no one runs.This is done everyday as the park opens. Well... this guy was saying things like, "Don't tell me what to do!" and "Get your hands off of me" even though she wasn't touching him. The poor girl was asking him to stay behind her and he just blew right by her. What a jerk! The best part is he was with his son who looked about 10. What a role model! That was a very un -disney rude :(moment.

SandmanGStefani24
08-22-2009, 12:23 PM
well i'm usually a "glass is half empty" type of person, but I don't see very much rudeness at WDW. Come to think of it, I can't remember any at all. I am so wrapped up in it all I don't actually notice much else. To tell you the truth, it's the nicest place I go people-wise. I'd pick WDW over any other park any day. I wouldn't think of approaching a young child to give away my tickets at arcades anywhere else. I wouldn't offer to take pictures for an unknown family anywhere else, and I wouldn't engage in small talk with strangers very many places besides WDW. There may be a oddball rude person out there, but the numbers are vastly in out favor.

:number1:

PETE FROM NYC
08-22-2009, 01:08 PM
OK Here is my 2cents.
People using the handicapped(medical) parking lot just so they don't have to fuss with the kids over-sized stroller on the tram.
And how about people who use the handicapped toilet when they do not need it.

Seasonscraps
08-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd rather spend my time paying attention to the rides, attractions, decor etc that surrounds me when I am in Disney instead of focusing on the few rude people that I may encounter.

Honestly, I dont think it's so much worse in Disney then it is anywhere else. For the sheer volume of people there, maybe 5% are rude and 5% are incredibly wonderful - both of which stand out then there's everyone else going about their day. :mickey::mickey:

Seasonscraps
08-22-2009, 01:19 PM

I always thought handicapped stalls were like handicapped seats on a bus - you are free to use them but priority is given to handicapped people and you have to move when necessary. So with the restroom, if some one is in the stall and a person in need comes in, they would get to use it after the first person is done with their business.

Emme&TeddysMommy
08-22-2009, 01:20 PM
I find it rude when people are talking or texting on their cell phones. I am on vacation I don’t want to hear your private phone conversation. I am here enjoying time with my family. I understand that some people need to be in contact with work, family, etcetera. But for everything there is a proper time and place. While you’re in line for a ride, on a ride, in a show, or at a restaurant please be kinds to the people around you. I’m on vacation I leave my phone at the hotel. I have voicemail it you need to reach me leave a message or send a text. I will call you back, but not at the inconvenience of other guests.

T-Belle
08-22-2009, 01:53 PM
I would like to hand out the cards to all the people who stop and sit in the middle of the row instead of going all the way to the end as they are told to do!! These are also the same people who rush to get in front of you as you are trying to go down the row!ugh!!!!:thedolls:

emmetlovesmaleficent
08-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Ooh, make sure to add putting kids on your shoulders when your in the front row of a parade or show.

When your at WDW at the ages of 9 and 11 that can tick you off easily!!!! I mean, if the little ones are in the extreme back and can't see a thing, put them on your shoulders. But if they're in the front row - don't! They can already see crystal clear, why do they need elevation!! All it does is block the view for everyone else. >_<

i always went on my dads shoulders and when i look at pics so many ppl rinfront of us so we had 2 b in bak i guess

emmetlovesmaleficent
08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I would like to hand out the cards to all the people who stop and sit in the middle of the row instead of going all the way to the end as they are told to do!! These are also the same people who rush to get in front of you as you are trying to go down the row!ugh!!!!:thedolls:

i love ur sig! hahah LOL!!!

emmetlovesmaleficent
08-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I always thought handicapped stalls were like handicapped seats on a bus - you are free to use them but priority is given to handicapped people and you have to move when necessary. So with the restroom, if some one is in the stall and a person in need comes in, they would get to use it after the first person is done with their business.

i use those because im alone and its cleaner...theres never any handicap ppl waiting

pink
08-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I like your idea.

1)People who use scooters just to cut lines and get first on buses. Yes I know some people have handicaps that we can not see but that doesn't mean some people abuse this either.

2)People who hit the back of your feet with their strollers or wheelchairs.

3)People who give you no personal space while waiting in the lines.

4)People who walk in a line and block the rest of traffic.

5)People who text and take flash pictures during any rides, especially the dark ones.

6)People who talk during rides and shows, full on conversations.

7)People who yell at my family when we use a fastpass because they think we are cutting the line or get special priveledges. :D Haha.

8)People who let their little kids have their own seat on the bus when it is packed when they could easily sit on one of their laps.

9)People who face the wrong way when standing on the bus and have their butt in your face the whole ride.

10)People who walk in front of your camera and stop when you're trying to take a picture. :mickey:

Belster
08-22-2009, 03:28 PM
And Pete from NYC what would you like the stroller users to do with their stroller on the tram? I have a double and always have to bring it on....:(

dmallan
08-22-2009, 04:21 PM

I always thought that handicapped toilets meant that they were accessible to the handicapped, not that only those who are handicapped could use them.

Pally
08-22-2009, 04:27 PM
2)People who hit the back of your feet with their strollers or wheelchairs.

Absolutely with you on this one. In 2006, christmas eve no less, at park closing at Epcot a man pushing a wheelchair crashed into me while he was looking up at a christmas tree and still moving forward. He did not see that the crowd was slowing down and whamed into me knocking me off my feet. Long story short, I ended up with a bloody sock as the foot rest of the wheelchair sliced through my sock and back of ankle and ended up with torn achilles tendon. Next day, christmas day and also my birthday, I was flat on my back unable to walk. When I got back home 4 months of physiotherapy.

For those pushing any object please keep your eyes forward for our safety.

T-Belle
08-22-2009, 05:04 PM
i love ur sig! hahah LOL!!!

Thank you!

T-Belle
08-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Absolutely with you on this one. In 2006, christmas eve no less, at park closing at Epcot a man pushing a wheelchair crashed into me while he was looking up at a christmas tree and still moving forward. He did not see that the crowd was slowing down and whamed into me knocking me off my feet. Long story short, I ended up with a bloody sock as the foot rest of the wheelchair sliced through my sock and back of ankle and ended up with torn achilles tendon. Next day, christmas day and also my birthday, I was flat on my back unable to walk. When I got back home 4 months of physiotherapy.

Ouch! This is just terrible! Hope your all better now but I can imagine you must have a fear of it happening again. Did the guy know what kind of damage he did?

Seasonscraps
08-22-2009, 05:15 PM
OK Here is my 2cents.
People using the handicapped(medical) parking lot just so they don't have to fuss with the kids over-sized stroller on the tram.

And Pete from NYC what would you like the stroller users to do with their stroller on the tram? I have a double and always have to bring it on....:(

Belster, Pete said people using handicapped parking lots are rude, not the people on the on trams.

Mousemates
08-22-2009, 05:16 PM
We encounter rudeness just about every trip to WDW in form another....whether its phones in quiet places, people jumping lien, flash photography where your asked not to (i.e POTC), folks who stop in the middle of the row (or at the good seats in the laugh floor, folks who try to inch you off a bench when it gets close to fireworks in Epcot, etc....it will happen, however, I've learned that the best thing to do is develop a short memory for the sleights you endure and focus on the next good moment instead of the last bad one. That way the bad folks don't ruin your day and are more easily forgotten.

Aurora
08-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Hmmm, I kinda think being rude is a little worse than being inconsiderate. For example, little kids having their own seat on the bus might be inconsiderate but (unless they're toddlers or they raced other people to the seats) certainly wouldn't be rude.

On the other hand, the guy who blew past the CM at the rope line and was harrassing her wasn't being just rude -- he was violating rules and intimidating an employee and in my opinion should have been ejected from the park.

T-Belle
08-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I've learned that the best thing to do is develop a short memory for the sleights you endure and focus on the next good moment instead of the last bad one. That way the bad folks don't ruin your day and are more easily forgotten.

Well said!

disneykid@hrt
08-22-2009, 07:04 PM
As a person with only about 19 months practice driving a stroller-I call it driving because it really takes more focus than I ever realized- I am annoyed by people that cut right in front of the stroller while in a tight crowd. It is already hard enough to go with the flow of traffic (if you can even call it a "flow"in some situations) while trying to maintain a little bit of space to guard against collision. The foot I left between the front of the stroller and the guy in front of me was not an invitation for you to cut in front of me and screw up the flow I did have going on!:mad: This starts a whole chain reaction as I slow down to regain my "bubble" of space.

I don't personally rush to get anywhere. I'm a nice and easy kind of gal, so please don't jump in front of my stroller! If I see you trying to pass by- I'll let ya! Just let me perpare.

Overall, of all of the theme parks I've ever been to, behavior at Disney is by far the best. It's a high-class park and I think people know that. It's like going to a nice restaurant... even kids pick up on the social cues.:mickey:

Mickey91
08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
OK Here is my 2cents.
While I agree about the parking lot, and cannot believe they would even be allowed, the toilet is another issue. Just because someone is in a wheelchair does not mean they cannot hold it any longer than someone who isn't. The handicap accessible toilets are just that. They are made larger to accomodate a wheelchair if needed. You do not need a special license to use them.

badkitty
08-22-2009, 11:10 PM
For me, the worst is the camera flash in the dark rides. I try to be positive and have a short memory for rude folks but the camera flash sets my blood boiling. Don't these people realize that the flash goes off in other's faces? I have sensitive eyes and the flash can blind me for several seconds afterwards and ruins my ride experience. Drives me crazy.

tcswife
08-22-2009, 11:45 PM
1.Tell me why when I used flash photography in Spaceship Earth a CM threatened to kick me out of the park, but some crazy mom on the front row of It's a Small World can take all the flash photo's she wants!!! We were blinded!!!

2.I was 7 months pregnant last October and we were on the bus on numerous occasions and grown men did not offer me a seat instead they just sat and stared at me!!! So if I was 1st off the bus before I got off I would let it be known that I appreciated all the kind gentlemen offering me a seat!!! I even had one guy catch up to me after he got off the bus behind me and apologize for not offering me his seat

Belster
08-23-2009, 12:00 AM
oops sorry PetefromNYC I made and error and still had to read it again...lol. Please forgive me for my rash remark...hehe.

MissMaryPoppins
08-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I agree, there are a lot of rude people in Disney World. The ones that amaze me are the people who are rude to the international cast members especially in World Showcase. I was in Morocco waiting on line for a coffee and there was a woman and her daughter in front of me. The woman was asking the cast member behind the counter about the pastries in the case and she was patiently answering all her questions. The castmember of course had an accent but to me it wasn't difficult to understand her and it amazed me how mean the woman in front of me got to her. I know some people have trouble with accents but instead of this woman saying "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry" she kept yelling "What, I don't know what you're saying." And getting mad that she couldn't understand her. I could understand her perfectly and I told the woman what she was telling her about whatever pastry she was pointing to. So she said to me "Oh, I can't understand a word she's saying. How can you?" I just said something about having a ear for accents. I really wanted to ask her if she knew the term "Ugly American".

garymacd
08-23-2009, 11:30 AM
10)People who walk in front of your camera and stop when you're trying to take a picture. :mickey:

We were in Tussaud's in London England a number of years now. It was a few years after Princess Diana died. They had a wax figurine of her in her silver dress and tiara and my wife and youngest daughter wanted a picture taken of them with it, so they stood in line, their turn came, I stood there with camera ready - and three teenaged girls came and stood right between us for what seemed like forever gazing lovingly at Diana. Well, who wouldn't, really?

I stood there with a glazed look on my face and when they turned to see this weird looking, unmoving figure of a tourist-ey looking guy with camera in hand, I suddenly moved and as loud as I could, said, "BOO!"

:bolt:

Never seen people move so fast in my life!

Darn tourists, anyway!

Ian
08-23-2009, 01:19 PM
2)People who hit the back of your feet with their strollers or wheelchairs.See below:

As a person with only about 19 months practice driving a stroller-I call it driving because it really takes more focus than I ever realized- I am annoyed by people that cut right in front of the stroller while in a tight crowd.Trust me. I've been to Disney World probably 30-40 times with strollers and the vast majority of times that I've hit someone across the backs of the legs it's been their fault.

Either they're not paying attention and they just wander right across my path or they stop dead in front of me when I'm walking behind them.

In both cases, heck yeah I run in to them. Teach you to pay attention next time! :thedolls:

Daisy'sMom
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
While I agree about the parking lot, and cannot believe they would even be allowed, the toilet is another issue. Just because someone is in a wheelchair does not mean they cannot hold it any longer than someone who isn't. The handicap accessible toilets are just that. They are made larger to accomodate a wheelchair if needed. You do not need a special license to use them.

Being a nurse and having some experience in this area, people that are handicapped are sometimes in need of a toilet because of their inability to hold it. I am probably reading much more into it than intended, but there seems to be alot of hostility directed towards the handicapped at Disney.:mickey:

crazypoohbear
08-23-2009, 10:40 PM
I also have been told that handicap accessible bathrooms are not restricted to only handicapped persons they are for anyone who wants to use them. the law is written that they must be included in the design not exclusive to handicapped persons. I do think that if someone comes in to use the facilities they should be allowed to go to the front, for the reason stated, that sometimes the disabilility makes it difficult to hold it in.
I also have let pregnant women and small children doing "the dance" go in front of me (as long as I am not doing my own dance)
This to me is just common curtesy..... you know the kind you where suppose to be taught as you grew up and if you did not do it then you were hit upside the head by your mother :blush:
To this day I always hold the door for whomever is behind me becuase I just know I will be hit upside the head if I don't..... and if I hold the door and you dont' say thank you I WILL say YOU ARE WELCOME very loudly :D

LuvDaDuckMost
08-24-2009, 12:22 AM
My pet peeve are the smokers. I don't know why they think they can smoke in areas that are not designated for them to do so. I personally wish that smoking was not allowed ANYWHERE. As the grandmother of a three year old with asthma, it really angers me that these people have so little regard for those around them that they walk through the clouds smoking and hiding their cigarettes in the palm of their hand. Also, and this isn't so much about people as it is about Disney in general. I don't understand why most of their smoking areas are near the handicap bathrooms. Those people need a dose of second hand smoke even less than the rest of us. Poor planning on the part of Disney on that one. I even wrote them and let them know this.

badkitty
08-24-2009, 12:24 AM
See below:

Trust me. I've been to Disney World probably 30-40 times with strollers and the vast majority of times that I've hit someone across the backs of the legs it's been their fault.

Either they're not paying attention and they just wander right across my path or they stop dead in front of me when I'm walking behind them.

In both cases, heck yeah I run in to them. Teach you to pay attention next time! :thedolls:

Oh Ian, I am sure you have had bad experiences with folks not paying attention but I have had diiferent experiences. So many times I have been run-over by a stroller that was being used as a battering ram to clear a space.

I pay close attention to my surroundings when I am in a crowd and never intentionally cut anyone off, yet I have been hit in the ankles more times than I can count. I guess there are always two sides to the coin. Remind me never walk in front of you! :)

Disney Doll
08-24-2009, 07:53 AM
2.I was 7 months pregnant last October and we were on the bus on numerous occasions and grown men did not offer me a seat instead they just sat and stared at me!!! So if I was 1st off the bus before I got off I would let it be known that I appreciated all the kind gentlemen offering me a seat!!! I even had one guy catch up to me after he got off the bus behind me and apologize for not offering me his seat

Hmm. Not sure I agree that it's rude. Sure it's nice to have a seat offered, but it shouldn't be expected. Personally I am pregnant, but I am also young and able so I'd rather the seat go to someone disabled or elderly. I made the decision to go to Disney while pregnant and I don't expect any special considerations. I'm pregnant not handicapped. In my opinion the snid comment thanking others for the seat not offered is more rude.

Disney Doll
08-24-2009, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=disneykid@hrt;1944311]As a person with only about 19 months practice driving a stroller-I call it driving because it really takes more focus than I ever realized- I am annoyed by people that cut right in front of the stroller while in a tight crowd. It is already hard enough to go with the flow of traffic (if you can even call it a "flow"in some situations) while trying to maintain a little bit of space to guard against collision. The foot I left between the front of the stroller and the guy in front of me was not an invitation for you to cut in front of me and screw up the flow I did have going on!:mad: This starts a whole chain reaction as I slow down to regain my "bubble" of space.
QUOTE]

Agreed! I guess because the stroller is low people don't always notice it. I've had people step right out and actually trip over my stroller nearly landing on my child. :mad:

TikiLounger
08-24-2009, 09:28 AM

I've always believed this, too. Handicapped stalls are for everyone to use. If I need to use a public restroom and there are no other stalls available...and no handicapped people present, I see no reason not to use it. It's just silly not to. Of course, if there IS a handicapped person waiting in line, the stall is for their use.

TikiLounger
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
In recent years, I've found that more people seem to be littering at Disneyworld. It's so annoying to see trash on the ground...especially when there are trash receptacles everywhere! Seriously, are people this lazy? Sad.

Seasonscraps
08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
As a person with only about 19 months practice driving a stroller-I call it driving because it really takes more focus than I ever realized- I am annoyed by people that cut right in front of the stroller while in a tight crowd. It is already hard enough to go with the flow of traffic (if you can even call it a "flow"in some situations) while trying to maintain a little bit of space to guard against collision. The foot I left between the front of the stroller and the guy in front of me was not an invitation for you to cut in front of me and screw up the flow I did have going on!:mad: This starts a whole chain reaction as I slow down to regain my "bubble" of space.

Agreed! I guess because the stroller is low people don't always notice it. I've had people step right out and actually trip over my stroller nearly landing on my child. :mad:

With strollers, it goes both ways. I have been run into while standing still. Everyone has to pay attention to where they are going.

coneygoil
08-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I don't know if this is considered cutting in line, but I usually go to the bathroom before getting on a fast ride and my folks go get in line while I do that if the bathroom is close to the ride. I think that's fine, but cutting in line when NO ONE is waiting for you there is just wrong!

I hate when people hit you with a stroller or wheelchair. My ankles hate you people.

My knee was injuried pretty bad several years ago when the crowd waiting to get on the train at AK pushed me into a sharp pillar. I had a huge, throabing knot on my knee that I had to put up with for the rest of the trip and that was just the first day!

Seasonscraps
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't know if this is considered cutting in line, but I usually go to the bathroom before getting on a fast ride and my folks go get in line while I do that if the bathroom is close to the ride. I think that's fine, but cutting in line when NO ONE is waiting for you there is just wrong!

Sorry, but I think that's rude/cutting in line.

Ian
08-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh Ian, I am sure you have had bad experiences with folks not paying attention but I have had diiferent experiences. So many times I have been run-over by a stroller that was being used as a battering ram to clear a space.Based on the behavior I've seen from some folks, that's no surprise. When people want to get somewhere, they don't let anything stand in their way!

I think the one thing that annoys me the most is when I see people leaving drink cups all over the place. There really is no excuse for littering in Disney World, because there seriously are trash cans every 10 feet.

One time I watched this lady waiting in line for Spaceship Earth finish her soda and just drop the cup over the railing into the bushes. She was, no lie, maybe 10 steps from a trash can. I looked her right in the eye and said, "Really? You're just going to dump that there? There's a trash can right there!"

She said, "Oh, they pay people to pick up after me. I don't care."

:rolleyes:

MNNHFLTX
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I have to admit that the vehemence in some of these posts kind of shocks me. I hope everyone tries to remember that these type of threads have a way of going south very quickly. Even considerate people tend to get sensitive when lumped into a sweeping generalization.

My son and I just got back from Disney World; we typically do not go during the hot and busy summer months, so the crowds were an eye opener. Did we see some behavior that we thought was rude? Yes, but our time there was too short to dwell on it.

Disney Doll
08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
With strollers, it goes both ways. I have been run into while standing still. Everyone has to pay attention to where they are going.

Agreed! It's not just strollers or wheelchairs or walkers. The rudeness comes when people are too absorbed in their own world to notice their surroundings. There's a lot to take in at WDW so I understand, but a simple apology goes a long way.

Frog
08-24-2009, 01:33 PM
As I read these posts it reminds me that:

"The things that bother us give us great insight into our intrensic values"

I got upset at the picture taking going on in the dark rides... so as I reflected on the "why did that make me angry" I came to realize that I have a value for following the rules... IF Disney doen't want me to take pictures, then I should'nt...
For the rest of yall, what do your "frustrations" say about who you are???
ok, off my soap box, thanks... :)

Granny Jill A
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Considering the number of people I encounter on each trip to WDW, the rude ones are in the minority. Unfortunately, they are the ones we remember :D.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
08-24-2009, 03:01 PM
What one person perceives as rude may be merely a cultural difference, lack of full information, or it indeed could be true rudeness.

For example:
about the personal space, where people stand closer to you, or walk in a bunch, or walk on a different side of the path than you may well be not intended as rude if it's done by people who live in certain parts of the world. When we adopted our daughter in China, there was no concept of a queue there - any open space is basically free game, but, the first person to take that space is the rightful "owner" of that space. So bunching up or lines may just be a cultural difference.

On the people who are not handicapped using handicapped toilets, I am guilty of this, with a caveat. Many times, I, as a dad to a 3 year old daughter, would take my daughter into the men's restroom. Rather than stand outside of a smaller stall to wait on her, I always tried to accompany my daughter into the handicapped stall. I did this when my wife was even in the parks with me because that's what my daughter wanted, but there may be single parents who have no other options.

I myself learned a lesson in rudeness and tolerance on my last trip, when I was pushing my daughter down the path in her stroller. A gentleman was standing in the middle of the path looking around, and I thought to myself "how rude of him to obstruct everyone's path"!

Not too much later, my daughter got out of her stroller on Main Street to hula hoop, and along cames the same gentleman from before. He stopped and watched my daughter hula hoop (I must admit, it IS cute to see a tiny 3 year old Asian girl hula hoop!), and his face just lit up! He applauded her when she was finished, and I struck up a conversation with the gentleman.

Turns out, he was 72 years old, from Germany, and was delighted to take in all the wonderful sights on his first ever trip to Disney. His wife recently passed away, and he was on a trip with his daughter, son in law, and granddaughter. I couldn't have been more embarassed for thinking earlier that he was rude!!

And there are a lot of rude actions, I'll admit.

But my point is, before calling something rude, check it out to see if there's more to the story. Sometimes, you may be delightfully surprised, as I was!

Ian
08-24-2009, 03:26 PM
For example:
about the personal space, where people stand closer to you, or walk in a bunch, or walk on a different side of the path than you may well be not intended as rude if it's done by people who live in certain parts of the world. When we adopted our daughter in China, there was no concept of a queue there - any open space is basically free game, but, the first person to take that space is the rightful "owner" of that space. So bunching up or lines may just be a cultural difference.Yeah, but I don't buy that excuse. When Americans travel to other nations it's drilled into our heads that we have to respect the local customs. "When in Rome ... " and all that.

The opposite also applies,. When you're in America, you need to adhere to the cultural norms of the U.S. Not at your home nation.

badkitty
08-24-2009, 10:23 PM
As I read these posts it reminds me that:

"The things that bother us give us great insight into our intrensic values"

I got upset at the picture taking going on in the dark rides... so as I reflected on the "why did that make me angry" I came to realize that I have a value for following the rules... IF Disney doen't want me to take pictures, then I should'nt...
For the rest of yall, what do your "frustrations" say about who you are???
ok, off my soap box, thanks... :)

Really though, flashes going off in a dark ride is more than a "frustration" with a rule-breaker. For me it is about the pain those flashes cause other guests.

tcswife
08-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Hmm. Not sure I agree that it's rude. Sure it's nice to have a seat offered, but it shouldn't be expected. Personally I am pregnant, but I am also young and able so I'd rather the seat go to someone disabled or elderly. I made the decision to go to Disney while pregnant and I don't expect any special considerations. I'm pregnant not handicapped. In my opinion the snid comment thanking others for the seat not offered is more rude.

Just to clarify, I do not consider pregnant women handicapped!! I do know one thing for sure regardless of where I am at, I personally would offer a woman with child my seat.

I'm just curious of one thing, if you were pregnant and on a crowed bus at the end of a 10-hr day at the Magic Kingdom, your telling me that you would rather stand and be bumped and swayed around if offered a seat?? Doubt it, you would kindly take the seat!!

I do agree that an elderly person or disabled person should be aloud to have a seat even before a pregnant person, but i have even seen perfectly able bodied men sit and watch those said people ride for 30 minutes on a bus!!

tcswife
08-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Standing

PETE FROM NYC
08-25-2009, 12:23 AM

Handicapped restroom stalls are equipped with hand rails to make it possible for the user to get up after doing his/her business.
I, for one, need those railings to help me up.

StitchFan#1
08-25-2009, 12:48 AM

OMG I WAS THERE THAT NIGHT TOO AND THAT HAPPEND TO ME TOO! :offtopic::blush:

crazypoohbear
08-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Handicapped restroom stalls are equipped with hand rails to make it possible for the user to get up after doing his/her business.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. You do not need to be handicapped to use the larger stall and there are also bars in some of the smaller stalls as well.
I have asked about using the handicapped stalls and was told that according to the law they have to have the stalls "AVAILABLE" because of the ADA regulations. they are not exclusive to a handicapped person like a parking place is that requires documentation.
I am heavy and I prefer the larger stalls for my comfort,does this mean that I should come down with some form of a disability? What about people who have "unseen" disabilities? What about handicapped people who's handicap doesn't require a larger stall or hand rails, which stall should they use?
If there is a long line and are 2 handicap stalls and 2 "regular" stalls do the 2 handicap stalls remain unused, while people wait?

Oh, and by the way, BOTH my parents are/were handicapped so I do understand more than the normal lay person would.

Seasonscraps
08-25-2009, 09:18 AM

The handicapped stalls do not require a special permit or license. Why should it remain empty when there no one with a handicap on line?

Carol
08-25-2009, 09:58 AM
MODERATOR ALERT!

Rudeness is not welcome here. This thread will be closed if it happens again.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I have to admit that the vehemence in some of these posts kind of shocks me. I hope everyone tries to remember that these type of threads have a way of going south very quickly. Even considerate people tend to get sensitive when lumped into a sweeping generalization.

My son and I just got back from Disney World; we typically do not go during the hot and busy summer months, so the crowds were an eye opener. Did we see some behavior that we thought was rude? Yes, but our time there was too short to dwell on it.

:exactly:

dnickels
08-25-2009, 11:34 PM
This is posted merely as a follow-up to what someone else already mentioned, so please do not take it as being critical, it is merely meant to be informative. :thumbsup:

As someone with a spinal cord injury I can safely say that I and others whose injuries are worse than my own can no more 'hold it in' just like an able-bodied person than we can wiggle our toes or hop up out of a wheelchair and dash across the park to get fast passes. Those muscles that allow one to hold it become paralyzed just as the muscles of the legs or other parts of the body dependent upon nerve signals traveling through the spinal cord.

Again, not meant to ruffle any feathers, just something to think about if there are 3 regular stalls and 1 handicapped accessible stall all available when you walk into a given bathroom.

Mousemates
08-26-2009, 02:43 PM
It appears that some of us are confusing rudeness with accidents...accidents of negligence happen all the time and we don't call the people rude. I.e. people get distracted from what they are doing in their cars (driving) in parking lots all the time (because their kids are arguing in the backseat, they spilled a drink in their lap, their cell phone rings) and fender benders occur. But that doesn't make them a rude person or the action an act of rudeness. Accidents happen. Even very polite people have car wrecks and carry liability insurance to cover themselves.

In a like manner everytime someone gets bumped by a stroller or wheelchair...or has someone stop in the sidewalk in front of them..or whatever... does not mean that person is rude or that the person bumped or stopped in front of has been a victim of rudeness. Sometimes, often times...maybe even most times...I think its just an accident or the result of a moment of distraction. With that many people, moving in a crowded theme park some human fender benders are bound to occur.

I think that sometimes the fact that we seem to prefer to call all such incidents rudeness (which allows us to justify our angry responses) rather than a simple accident (which makes anger a bit harder to justify) says more about ourselves than it does about the person who inconvenienced us.

:twocents:

Ian
08-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I think that sometimes the fact that we seem to prefer to call all such incidents rudeness (which allows us to justify our angry responses) rather than a simple accident (which makes anger a bit harder to justify) says more about ourselves than it does about the person who inconvenienced us.Huh. That's an interesting take ... although I have to admit I totally disagree.

I think someone who allows themselves to become so absorbed in their own world that they forget what's going on around them is the very definition of someone who's rude.

And that applies as much to accidents in parking lots as it does stopping in the middle of a busy sidewalk because you suddenly became distracted by your park map.

My personal opinion is that nowadays FAR too many people are so wrapped up in their own lives that they forget they are surrounded on a day-to-day basis by other people trying to go about their own business. We've become a very self-absorbed nation, full of people who "forget" to hold doors for others or "forget" to give up their seats to those who need them more or "forget" to look where they're walking ... I think what you said sounds like one big excuse for acting like a jerk.

GoofyFan13
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Huh. That's an interesting take ... although I have to admit I totally disagree.

I think someone who allows themselves to become so absorbed in their own world that they forget what's going on around them is the very definition of someone who's rude.

And that applies as much to accidents in parking lots as it does stopping in the middle of a busy sidewalk because you suddenly became distracted by your park map.

My personal opinion is that nowadays FAR too many people are so wrapped up in their own lives that they forget they are surrounded on a day-to-day basis by other people trying to go about their own business. We've become a very self-absorbed nation, full of people who "forget" to hold doors for others or "forget" to give up their seats to those who need them more or "forget" to look where they're walking ... I think what you said sounds like one big excuse for acting like a jerk.

I would not call that the definition of rudeness...thats more...self centered I suppose...or if your at WDW isn't practically everybody there wrapped up in whats happening to them?

Ian
08-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I would not call that the definition of rudeness...thats more...self centered I suppose...or if your at WDW isn't practically everybody there wrapped up in whats happening to them?Exactly my point ... being self-centered is the same as being rude. It's rude to be self-centered and not consider those around you.

And yes ... many people WDW are wrapped up in what's happening to them, but that's no excuse for abandoning common courtesy.

UrbanDonovan
08-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I remember a young woman from one of those obnoxious Brazilian tour groups literally shoving my five year old daughter to the ground to get ahead of us at the Universe of Energy. I had to drag my wife away and we didn't get to go on the ride, which crushed my son since he is obsessed with dinos. But WDW is just like any other place. The isolated incidents are going to mar the whole for some people. That's just life.

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I think people have had the chance to vent and this topic has pretty much run its course, so let's move on, please. :mickey: