PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside

darthmacho
08-22-2009, 09:51 AM
:mickey:
Hoping to stay there next year, so I want to hear ALL about it! What are your likes and dislikes about this resort?

Also, I want to hear about the horse and buggy rides, the pool, and the restaurant, and more, but I'm really looking for anyone who has rented a kayak there. Has anyone done this, and how did it go? Do they have a two seater so I can do it with my kids? How much is a rental? Any info would be appreciated, whether about kayaking, or anything you want to share.

Getting psyched! :cloud9:

Thanks in advance.

deedeebee
08-22-2009, 11:07 AM
We love POR:number1: Our kids consider it our home resort. This year we stayed at the Poly and the kids missed POR! They love the big pool, food court, boat ride to Downtown Disney, so much to do, yet so quiet and relaxing. Don't miss Bob in the lounge!! Have a wonderful time:mickey:

DonaldsBFF
08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Port Orleans Riverside is beautiful!!! On the last two visits to WDW we stayed there. Both times we stayed in the Alligator Bayou. We prefer the more secluded and rustic look of the AB and the "woodsy" feel. I doubt you can go wrong with either section though. We have stayed in buildings 34 and 39 which were both nice. 34 is more secluded and was great for its proximity to the West bus depot especially when we got back from the parks late at night. 39 was more in the middle and made it nice to be close to the pool and food but not too close. Both times we went we did the carriage ride which is a very nice and relaxing time. It goes to FQ and back and lasts about 30-40 minutes. I think it only costs about $35 as well for up to a group of 4. As far as food there is a such a nice variety and we even go over to FQ to have even more choices as you can either walk or take the water taxi down which also goed on to Downtown Disney. We love everything about POR and I think you will love it too.

KayDee
08-22-2009, 11:58 AM
We also love POR. The things we love about POR for us, quiet pools, mansion section, morning walks, the boat to dtd, Piano Bob and the grounds.
I will say Boatwrights is not great but not horrible. I did like their breakfast but now thats over. The food court is good I really do like their lunch and supper options.
In the end we have stayed at POR 3 times and never haad a bad experience.

darthmacho
08-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the wonderful responses! :mickey:

Anyone else? Especially anyone that has done the kayaking?

stitch34
08-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Never done the kayaking....but our family loves POR. We prefer AB and had a river view each time. It's so relaxing sitting out there in the morning or after a long day in the parks.

Don't miss Piano Man Bob!!!! Great entertainment!!!!:thumbsup:

mdhiggin
08-23-2009, 11:09 AM
We also prefer Alligator Bayou.

coneygoil
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Riverside is my family's home resort too. We started staying there in '93, but sadly, hadn't been able to stay there the last three times we've gone. It's just too expensive now :(

But it is a wonderful place! I like the Mansion sections, especially Magnolia Terrace which is right by the bridge that goes to Ole' Man Island. The pool is awesome! It's huge, has a waterslide, and a cool waterfall that you can jump through into the pool.

The food is the best. It's fun sitting by the water wheel in the food court.

I've never done kayaking, but have ridden the multi-person bike. It was very hard to peddle that thing up hill. It's also fun to walk over to PO FQ.

darthmacho
08-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Can anyone expand on the dining and shopping options for Riverside? What are both like? Also, does the proximity to French Quarter make it worth strolling over for a visit, such as for more dining and shopping, or simply to explore?

Since no one here seems to have kayaked, has anyone even seen someone kayaking at POR? :laughing:

Buddy08
08-25-2009, 12:36 PM
POR has Boatwrights which is a sit down restaurant . They no longer serve breakfast but have an excellent lunch and dinner menu. They also have a food court which is large with many options. Their gift shop is also large. POFQ has only a food court and a smaller gift shop. It is a nice walk to and around POFQ. You can take a boat to DTD from either resort.

darthmacho
08-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Buddy, great tip about the boat to DTD, I wasn't aware of that and would find that very useful for shopping and dining options. i also didn't know POFQ only had a food court. Didn't they used to have a sit down? I assume since Boatwright's doesn't have breakfast that a morning meal can be attained at the food court in either POR or FQ? :mickey:

Thanks for the tips.

Patricia
08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I love the grounds.. we walk all over (they have a great jogging trail along the river) and enjoy the surroundings, be sure to stop by the 'ol fishing hole and watch the kids pole fishing.

The Sassagoula River Cruise stops at FQ on the way to DTD, so you can take that if you don't want to walk over... but do go to the FQ food court for coffee and a Beignet. Yum. You can take the river cruise back to Riverside or go on to DTD. Watch for the new tree houses along the way.

I haven't rented a boat of any sort, but it looks very popular. Don't forget, you can also rent canoes at Fort Wilderness to take down the canals.

jonahbear2006
08-26-2009, 02:34 AM
we will be there in a few days if there is something specific you would like to see pictures of that you cant find online, let me know. I will be glad to send you some pictures.